The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fakes everywhere?

Dsant

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 7, 2015
Hi,

So i'm just a beginner on the world of importing, and while i search for my first products to import i always run to the same problem.. i never know if that product is some kind of rip off or not, i use a website owned by Alibaba, a Chinese one that a friend recommended to me and most of the times i just see the brand with a blurry image or i just see some unbranded versions of that same item, wich i know that is owned by a big brand or company.

I do find some unbranded itens that i know they're legit but they all seem pretty crappy, and the ones i do find appealing, i usually do a search of it and most of the times i find out that they just took off the brand symbol and are selling as an unbranded item, wich they are available to put your brand in..

And for obvious reasons i don't want to be ordering some product from another company and just be putting my brand.. (not branding yet, but i do want to do it later on)

I'm not really sure how can i know, if that product isn't owned from another company or not?..

(Sorry for my English, i haven't used it for a while now)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
If someone out there knows better please correct me, but from how you're explaining everything, this is my understanding.

You are buying from bulk manufacturers, companies like Samsung, or LG or sony or whatever brand you like may be using that same factory and paying for their logo to be added to the product and for a little bit "better" of a product they can market. The knock offs are indeed a knock off, but the ones that are similar but unbranded are for the exact same purpose that the big competitors utilize. You customize the specs, you add your logo and bam you're competing with them. So to speak.....

Don't be afraid of unbranded items just do your research on them... if you're looking for wholesale Name Brands I don't believe Alibaba is your ticket.

And for obvious reasons i don't want to be ordering some product from another company and just be putting my brand.. (not branding yet, but i do want to do it later on)

That is what every other company does, just alters the specs a little bit.

I'm not really sure how can I know, if that product isn't owned by another company or not?..

If its unbranded it shouldn't matter, if you're worried from a legal standpoint, I don't believe you would have an issue with it (I am not an attorney that is not legal advise)

Side note .... Witch... is which.... Pet peeve :)

Dsant

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 7, 2015
If someone out there knows better please correct me, but from how you're explaining everything, this is my understanding.

You are buying from bulk manufacturers, companies like Samsung, or LG or sony or whatever brand you like may be using that same factory and paying for their logo to be added to the product and for a little bit "better" of a product they can market. The knock offs are indeed a knock off, but the ones that are similar but unbranded are for the exact same purpose that the big competitors utilize. You customize the specs, you add your logo and bam you're competing with them. So to speak.....

Don't be afraid of unbranded items just do your research on them... if you're looking for wholesale Name Brands I don't believe Alibaba is your ticket.

That is what every other company does, just alters the specs a little bit.

If its unbranded it shouldn't matter, if you're worried from a legal standpoint, I don't believe you would have an issue with it (I am not an attorney that is not legal advise)

Side note .... Witch... is which.... Pet peeve :)

Well the products seem pretty close to the let's call them "original ones" but i can see that the quality is not the same and has a little change or another, but really small change, and most of the times it's exactly the same except there's no brand on it(i guess i should keep those away right?), and my problem was from a legal standpoint, and let's say i get big on X product and then i find out it a copy from another brand, don't want that to happen i guess, but that wouldn't be the problem i would just take it off and get something similar

Sometimes i see some products with some kind of brand, but i don't find that brand anywhere on google but it's branded can i have a problem with that?

Side note: Oops stupid mistake, good thing i did warn about my english ^^

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
Sometimes i see some products with some kind of brand, but i don't find that brand anywhere on google but it's branded can i have a problem with that?

That is where you need to talk to your distributor / Manufacturer .... From what I see usually, the Manufacturer is branding it themselves and trying to sell it so there really shouldn't be an issue.

I know there is a fair amount of people that import on here, wonder what they have to say from more experience

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dsant

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 7, 2015
That is where you need to talk to your distributor / Manufacturer .... From what I see usually, the Manufacturer is branding it themselves and trying to sell it so there really shouldn't be an issue.

I know there is a fair amount of people that import on here, wonder what they have to say from more experience

That's probably it good point.
And i just saw an item like i described, let's say it's and Apple Phone(just an example), they have one Apple Phone ( i can see because i know the model ) with no brand at all, and then on other tab they have a Apple Tablet and it's "brand" it's "Opple Tablet" or something like that (obvious knock off) but they do say they sell it with no Logo on it, this is what keeps my foot on the back because some of the products i find don't have this "tab" showing me that they just took the brand off.

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
When in doubt request images of actual Items, make sure they are detailed so you can try and see quality.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.