The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

F*ck You Moment?

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
I think I actually finally had my F*ck You moment that @MJ DeMarco describes in UNSCRIPTED . In April 2020, I lost my full-time job as Digital Media Manager due to covid. Since then, I've been learning new skills, reading books (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED , among others), brushing up on existing skills, applying for jobs, and contemplating working on an app/working for myself.

With the job market being extremely tough and spending months without any luck at nabbing a job, I decided to get my Real Estate license and started taking the 75-hour course in December. I finished the course in February, passed the final exam, and ended up passing the state exam. As I applied for my license, I ended up receiving a full-time job offer and, after some negotiating, for almost what I was making previously at my old job, which was a lot higher than they intended to hire for. I ended up accepting but needed time to get child care. They granted me the time (about 3 1/2 weeks) and I was able to secure child care arrangements for my son. As time ticked on closer to my start date, I started getting a bad feeling about taking the job. Something just didn't sit right with me and I wasn't excited at all to begin. It was eating away at me for days, in the pit of my stomach. I've never NOT been excited to start a job before. A few days ago, I asked about the dress code just to prepare and I was informed of working hours that I was never told about. I was told during the interview that the hours would be 9-5 or 930-530, but was now just told 930-6 pm. After finding out this, I asked if they would mind if I worked through my lunch break (30 mins) so I could leave a little earlier so I can see my son during the week. He's a baby and his bedtime is around 7 pm. If I left the job a 6, I would get home maybe at 645, which makes me being able to see my son for less than 30 minutes a day every week. I didn't receive a response and waited the whole weekend without one. I get an email today saying that they have decided to go with a different candidate and that they were taking back the offer. I felt RELIEVED. I got happy. The anxiety, the eating away at me, disappeared. Part of the anxiety, I believe, was me wanting to do Real Estate since I took the time to do it, but I feared the very real possibility of having a full-time job and doing real estate would leave me to never have time for my son. He's the best thing in my life and I want time with him.

So after I received that bit of news, I felt better. A weight was off my shoulders. I could now work for myself and sell some houses. Know what I did afterward? I called up 2 of my closest friends and told them about my app idea. They were sold on it and wanted to be a part of it. We decided to have a virtual meeting about the first steps and the functionality of the app. I was focused, ready to go, and felt a lot of excitement. I felt like this was my F*ck You moment because after losing the offer, I started taking immediate action to start working on the app and am now fully committed to seeing it through. Working for myself.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
I think I actually finally had my F*ck You moment that @MJ DeMarco describes in UNSCRIPTED . In April 2020, I lost my full-time job as Digital Media Manager due to covid. Since then, I've been learning new skills, reading books (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED , among others), brushing up on existing skills, applying for jobs, and contemplating working on an app/working for myself.

With the job market being extremely tough and spending months without any luck at nabbing a job, I decided to get my Real Estate license and started taking the 75-hour course in December. I finished the course in February, passed the final exam, and ended up passing the state exam. As I applied for my license, I ended up receiving a full-time job offer and, after some negotiating, for almost what I was making previously at my old job, which was a lot higher than they intended to hire for. I ended up accepting but needed time to get child care. They granted me the time (about 3 1/2 weeks) and I was able to secure child care arrangements for my son. As time ticked on closer to my start date, I started getting a bad feeling about taking the job. Something just didn't sit right with me and I wasn't excited at all to begin. It was eating away at me for days, in the pit of my stomach. I've never NOT been excited to start a job before. A few days ago, I asked about the dress code just to prepare and I was informed of working hours that I was never told about. I was told during the interview that the hours would be 9-5 or 930-530, but was now just told 930-6 pm. After finding out this, I asked if they would mind if I worked through my lunch break (30 mins) so I could leave a little earlier so I can see my son during the week. He's a baby and his bedtime is around 7 pm. If I left the job a 6, I would get home maybe at 645, which makes me being able to see my son for less than 30 minutes a day every week. I didn't receive a response and waited the whole weekend without one. I get an email today saying that they have decided to go with a different candidate and that they were taking back the offer. I felt RELIEVED. I got happy. The anxiety, the eating away at me, disappeared. Part of the anxiety, I believe, was me wanting to do Real Estate since I took the time to do it, but I feared the very real possibility of having a full-time job and doing real estate would leave me to never have time for my son. He's the best thing in my life and I want time with him.

So after I received that bit of news, I felt better. A weight was off my shoulders. I could now work for myself and sell some houses. Know what I did afterward? I called up 2 of my closest friends and told them about my app idea. They were sold on it and wanted to be a part of it. We decided to have a virtual meeting about the first steps and the functionality of the app. I was focused, ready to go, and felt a lot of excitement. I felt like this was my F*ck You moment because after losing the offer, I started taking immediate action to start working on the app and am now fully committed to seeing it through. Working for myself.

What do you think?
Would this fit the F*ck you moment? @MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A F-U moment is transient and causes anger, but doesn't compel lasting change.
A F U event is transcendent, and does.

Your answer will only be revealed in time.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
What do you think?
You got good writing style. Its rare for me to read a wall of text but couldn't stop reading yours. Maybe try incorporating this storytelling into your app's promotion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
A F-U moment is transient and causes anger, but doesn't compel lasting change.
A F U event is transcendent, and does.

Your answer will only be revealed in time.
Ah so I think I'm referring to the event. Thank you.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Sounds horrible, use it as motivation to become unscripted . That way you can spend time with your son however, wherever, and whenever you like.

''Lead life, instead of LIFE leading you'' MJ Money Demarco

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.