The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expecting quick success? Patience

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I made this post for the people out there who are expecting a quick success still. You want the money, you want it right away.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who was frustrated that the business isn't making money yet, in month 3.

I told him for my first business:

Sept. 2013 I started working on it
October 2013 - $0
November 2013 - $0
December 2013 - $0
January 2014 - $0
February 2014 - $68/mo
March 2014 - $500/mo
April 2014 - $3,000/mo
May 2014 - $10,000/mo

When MJ wrote his book, did he make the money when he was writing his first word? His first chapter? Hist second chapter? The last chapter? Editing? Book cover?

Patience and persistence.

Work smart. Work hard. Work faster.

But patience....because you're building it for that ONE MOMENT where it all comes together.

Anyhow, just wanted to share this for anyone who is still expecting the quick win - it seems to be a common theme among newbies and a reminder for the rest of us.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks for sharing, I love when people post up actual data on what success looks like.

I have a little story that I like to use to explain success...

Success is a river stream and you are trying to capture as much water that follows in that stream as possible. Each day you are throwing rocks into the stream while nearly everyone else is using a bucket and taking a little bit out. Some people can lift more than others so they can carry more but they have to return nearly everyday since they eventually run out. Meanwhile you keep throwing your stones and you are seeing basically no results.

Time goes by and the people with the buckets either laugh or feel bad for you. They have spare buckets and say you can join them if you want, maybe you can even work on their bucket team. But you want to keep throwing rocks.

More time goes by and you notice that you can now see some rocks collecting below the surface and the water is starting to slow down. You keeping throwing more rocks and eventually some stay above the surface. Its not holding any water yet but it is slowing the flow down. More time and more rocks and you know have a nice pool forming. Some of it is flowing through the gaps but its not easy to fix and improve on. The rocks you now throw stay in the same place and easily dam off more water since its not flowing as fast anymore. Eventually you have a big pool of water that is easy to maintain and leaves you enough for whoever you ant to share it with.

Its a simple analogy but everyday when things don't work out so well or I am working my a$$ off trying to figure all this stuff out I just picture myself throwing more rocks in the river.

nrcs144p2_071208.jpg

* fish or environmental protection agencies don't exist in my fun story :)

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I like when people post actual data, too. Maybe that's what I'll start doing...I'll start tracking how much I make a month. I haven't really made any "money" so to say, but I've had a lot of new and interesting opportunities thrown at me, that I believe, in the future will yield to monthly income.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

October 2013 - $0
November 2013 - $0
December 2013 - $0
January 2014 - $0
February 2014 - $68/mo
March 2014 - $500/mo
April 2014 - $3,000/mo
May 2014 - $10,000/mo

I get your point, but your example is actually "quick" for a first business. Some people struggle and fail for years first.

WAMBST

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 14, 2015
Le Mans - France
I made this post for the people out there who are expecting a quick success still. You want the money, you want it right away.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who was frustrated that the business isn't making money yet, in month 3.

October 2013 - $0
November 2013 - $0
December 2013 - $0
January 2014 - $0
February 2014 - $68/mo
March 2014 - $500/mo
April 2014 - $3,000/mo
May 2014 - $10,000/mo

When MJ wrote his book, did he make the money when he was writing his first word? His first chapter? Hist second chapter? The last chapter? Editing? Book cover?

But patience....because you're building it for that ONE MOMENT where it all comes together.

Anyhow, just wanted to share this for anyone who is still expecting the quick win - it seems to be a common theme among newbies and a reminder for the rest of us.

Hello,

I don't mind about quick success, but what is disturbing me is more if I have choosen the right way than when money will come. I think that many new wantrepreneur have to fight against lack of self confidence... Do I loose my time on the wrong idea? Among a lot of ideas, which is the good one? That's where I am stucked...

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Hello,

I don't mind about quick success, but what is disturbing me is more if I have choosen the right way than when money will come. I think that many new wantrepreneur have to fight against lack of self confidence... Do I loose my time on the wrong idea? Among a lot of ideas, which is the good one? That's where I am stucked...

Well, I understand your point.

Still find myself in those thoughts too.

But then I remember myself that there's no way to find out if it's the right way to do it, without doing it.

Nobody can really tell you if there's a demand for your product, except for your market.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I get your point, but your example is actually "quick" for a first business. Some people struggle and fail for years first.
For the 2 years before that i was "messing around" and not actually building a business - jumping form idea to idea. Project to project. Reading lots of books. Wasting time on YouTube motivational videos.

But then I chose to actually work and comit to one thing for 6 months minimum, regardless if I failed or not.

Then magical things started to happen...

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hello,

Id be more concerned what would happen if you don't start with one... Your life might continue looking like it has been for quite some time now.

Maybe you like the life you're in. So that may be a good thing. But if not - by staying where you are any longer is on the only risk you can ever take.

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
Hello,

Part of being successful in life in general is being dynamic. Just because you decided to study one subject in school doesn't mean you are stuck in that field for the rest of your life. You start down a path, pick up skills along the way and morph your direction as you learn what your really want.

Business is the same. Chose something, even if it doesn't appear wildly successful on the surface, and take action. You'll learn, pick up skills, adjust and keep moving forward. Picking one idea and sticking to that one idea as you originally conceived it and hoping for success is like threading a needle. If you are dynamic you'll pick up a broad range of skills and knowledge that will ensure you create the opportunities to be successful.

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
@AndrewNC Excellent post! Patience is sooo hard starting out. With all the get rick quick propaganda out there it is easy to get discouraged. I naturally am not very patient. I find that reflecting on what I've accomplished helps me feel better about where I'm at, and I use my lack of patience to fuel continuous steps forward toward my goals.

Luke.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jan 13, 2016
Hello,

You have to aim for millions but always expect pennies. It's never about making the right decision, but the correct decision.

Whether your idea is wrong or right, you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I always like Mark Cuban's quote on how "only morons start a business on a loan."

I believe in efficiency, so why spend money you don't have? Don't spend any money at all and you can start whatever business you want.

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile

October 2013 - $0
November 2013 - $0
December 2013 - $0
January 2014 - $0
February 2014 - $68/mo
March 2014 - $500/mo
April 2014 - $3,000/mo
May 2014 - $10,000/mo

Thanks! I needed something like this in this exact moment :notworthy:
I have been reading some of your posts since last year, good stuff.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.