The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expand your e-business or method to other countries.

AlexM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 23, 2009
Spain
Hello everyone, I'm almost new here (used to read but not to post). My name is Alex and I'm from Spain.

Is there anyone that want to EXPAND?

"What you would do if you could return to the past knowing the result of the lottery?"

I assume that you would play. No, i'm not time-machine's inventor, just taking some ideas out of my mind to share with all of you.

As everyone knows, there are some places in the world where things happen first and then like a domino effect start to happen in other countries, for example:

Fashion -> Streets and Catwalks of New York, London, Paris and then to the rest of the world and every shop.

If you were succesful in USA, why not take advantage and adapt your e-business or method to other countries/languages? I find it so interesting because of the pro's:

- You have the IDEA, METHOD and EXPERIENCE using it.
- Everything you need (website, information, product) you have it already.

You only need to translate, adapt or re-design. Also always there are a negative side to think about:

- If you have to ship the product there are CUSTOM fees.
- Market it's not the same all over the world, you need to know if your product or services have a niche market here.

So, any interested on the idea?

Also, comments and advice are welcome. Best regards, Alex. :wave:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi Alex,

expaning to other countries is generally a good thing. However, markets do often drastically differ from country to country. For example Wal Mart once tried their luck in Germany - they lost more than $3.000.000.000 in the end.

This is of course a rather extreme example but it shows that we shall not underestimate intercultural differences. Even between two on the first look quite similar countries.

The best solution would probably be to find one or more partners in the countries you are planning to expand your business. What exactly they would have to do and what skills they would need to have that of course depens on what your business is.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Feb 10, 2009
NYC
A con would be the legal environment. If youre doing website on youre own, this is a big hurdle.
Youre incorporated in the US? Great. How about setting up companies abroad, dealing with local tax authorities, customs, local consumer/warranty laws, ....
You definitely need competent (perhaps local) advice on that.

But I agree: once you did all the work in one language, transferring it to one or two other major markets (especially if you didnt start in English) seems attractive. If, no, I mean: once I get my "thing" to work in Germany, I will definitely try if/how it works the US/world market with an English website.
Only thing: incorporation in US, US bank account etc. Big pita for someone with limited resources.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Hello everyone, I'm almost new here (used to read but not to post). My name is Alex and I'm from Spain.

Is there anyone that want to EXPAND?

"What you would do if you could return to the past knowing the result of the lottery?"

I assume that you would play. No, i'm not time-machine's inventor, just taking some ideas out of my mind to share with all of you.

As everyone knows, there are some places in the world where things happen first and then like a domino effect start to happen in other countries, for example:

Fashion -> Streets and Catwalks of New York, London, Paris and then to the rest of the world and every shop.

If you were succesful in USA, why not take advantage and adapt your e-business or method to other countries/languages? I find it so interesting because of the pro's:

- You have the IDEA, METHOD and EXPERIENCE using it.
- Everything you need (website, information, product) you have it already.

You only need to translate, adapt or re-design. Also always there are a negative side to think about:

- If you have to ship the product there are CUSTOM fees.
- Market it's not the same all over the world, you need to know if your product or services have a niche market here.

So, any interested on the idea?

Also, comments and advice are welcome. Best regards, Alex. :wave:

Brand and concept licensing abroad is always a part in my business plan. So, obviously, I support it:).

AlexM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 23, 2009
Spain
Thanks for your replies and advice.

When we talk about examples like Wal-Mart, there's no comparison because they had to put money to get infrastructures, shops, employees, etc.

I'm not talking about a common business, what we want to EXPAND it's a online business, just move from DOT com to DOT es, or just translating the name or adapting to a new market, Isn't necessary to invest a lot of money.

For example:

When I was 14 (7 years ago), there was a website on the US called FaceTheJury.com, since then to the first time I saw a similar website in Spain passed 4 years, I was 18 (3 years ago).

We started with websites with a poor design and bad structure, but trying a new concept.

One year later appears "Badoo.com", it was revolutionary, to many people there from every country in the world. But until last year, anyone in Spain did a really good SOCIAL NETWORK, now we have it: tuenti.com (you have to get invited to entry), EVERYONE between 15 and 30, when I mean everyone... it's EVERYONE in Spain have an account there and uses everyday. My city have a population of 250.000 people, tuenti have 170.000 users from my city.

I know there are a lot of methods, e-business, websites, etc that can fit my country, any idea?

Let's see.

Ps: sorry for my english.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Here is one interesting fact that amazed me.

We all know China is the king of manufacturing. However, there are many export-only things that were made in China are not sold in China. So companies out there re-import the Made-In-China items that is still hot in N. America back to China and other Asia countries for much higher price. Now people in China can buy things online and ship from US to China.

Ex. Child Car Seat, bad time story books, etc.

It has something to do to understand the culture of each countries and their buying habit.

I am looking into this type of opportunities.

cfittowin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 26, 2009
Boston
Excellent find

I have been thinking along the same lines. The common perception is the Chinese have everything manufactured in their country and anything made here can be made there for cheaper and maybe they are right, but what many do not realize and what your post brings to the table is the fact that not all Chinese exports are actually sold to the people of China. I see something here.

I am also seeking opportunities I find in products which can be sold to the 300 million Chinese online users.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.