What's new

Execution: Business vs. Brand

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

EPerceptions

Regular Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
128
Location
Virginia/Arizona
Rep Bank
$590
User Power: 136%
I'm looking for opinions on whether a product line is (or should be) a brand or a separate business entity.

I have a preference for IP assets. Royalty income from books and stock photos, domain name investing, software licensing, etc. Because of this, I consider my company to be a publishing and marketing company, and each branch or publication is simply a brand inside the company.

In the last year or so I've been testing physical products and building brands around the profitable ones (cashflow for more assets/IP). In a hobby/craft niche, my most popular product is imported and I've successfully created several others from a US supply source. After a brief lull, I've begun importing the primary product again and the supplier is eager to show me his other offerings. This type of product has stricter import regulations so I've previously put off large orders.

As a publishing company, I've never had the need to get a resale tax ID or deal with regulatory bodies and restrictions, so I feel like I'm at a crossroads. Do I register a general ecommerce company for my tangible product brands? Do I separate each brand into its own company? Am I right in thinking the tax paperwork will get messy if I just tack on an ecommerce branch to the existing company?

I know forums aren't the place for advice so I'm mainly looking for experienced opinions and 'here's what I did' if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Forum required me to pick a prefix and execution wasn't one of the options.
 
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Haitt O tjuamf jewi vovmif vjot 'Fowotoup wt. Tactofoesz' :)

Gus vjuti vjev duni emuph mevis epf xupfis xjisi vjot xipv: Sitiesdj jet ni miepoph vuxesft tivvoph aq tactofoeszt gus vji idunnisdi csepft/qsufadv mopit.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom