The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Execution: Business vs. Brand

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
I'm looking for opinions on whether a product line is (or should be) a brand or a separate business entity.

I have a preference for IP assets. Royalty income from books and stock photos, domain name investing, software licensing, etc. Because of this, I consider my company to be a publishing and marketing company, and each branch or publication is simply a brand inside the company.

In the last year or so I've been testing physical products and building brands around the profitable ones (cashflow for more assets/IP). In a hobby/craft niche, my most popular product is imported and I've successfully created several others from a US supply source. After a brief lull, I've begun importing the primary product again and the supplier is eager to show me his other offerings. This type of product has stricter import regulations so I've previously put off large orders.

As a publishing company, I've never had the need to get a resale tax ID or deal with regulatory bodies and restrictions, so I feel like I'm at a crossroads. Do I register a general ecommerce company for my tangible product brands? Do I separate each brand into its own company? Am I right in thinking the tax paperwork will get messy if I just tack on an ecommerce branch to the existing company?

I know forums aren't the place for advice so I'm mainly looking for experienced opinions and 'here's what I did' if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Forum required me to pick a prefix and execution wasn't one of the options.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
Guess I should have titled this 'Division vs. Subsidiary' :)

For those that come along later and wonder where this went: Research has me leaning towards setting up subsidiarys for the ecommerce brands/product lines.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.