• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Ever fake it till you make it with your website?

Discussion in 'Advertising, Marketing, Social Media' started by Flybye, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Flybye

Flybye Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $915
    Ever fake it till you make it with the number of products sold on your website?

Say you are planning to sell about 4 or 5 products (until you expand), but you are only going to be able to start with 1 or 2. Personally, I feel the site only showing 1 or 2 products is going to look weak. But having them posted with their details and 10+ pics is better than nothing. What if I also showed maybe 3-5 products I never had with a "Sold" tag to not make it seam as if I just started out with a lower than expected amount of stock? So as I see it my options are:

1) Dont even bother having a site until I have more product. (not really my preferred choice)
    2) Have the site with just 1 or 2 products for now.
    3) Have the site with the current 1 or 2 products and 3-5 mythical products I never carried but marked as sold.

2. Stargazer

Stargazer Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,423
    Hopefully it was just a rhetorical question, yes? :smile2:

Option two and get yourself some more products to sell legitimately in the meantime of it. It can't take that long to sign up suppliers.

If you sell car batteries for example, somewhere along the line you want to be emphasizing that you have sourced the best car battery on the market with the best customer service to match.

No need to pretend you have sold out of others. The problem is in your head not mine as a buyer.

Besides, the manufacturer of the products you purport to have sold out of may take umbrage that you are falsely claiming to sell their product.

Dan

3. Flybye

Rep Bank:
    $915
    Fair enough. Exactly why I like to ask questions. :smile2:

Stargazer likes this.
  4. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $49,507

Why not just take pre-orders for the ones you don't have ready yet?

Or, just an email collector... enter your email and we'll let you know when they're available.

DVU, masterneme, Flybye and 3 others like this.
  5. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $610
    No that's, fraud. It's an offence to undertake deceptive advertising practices like that. May vary by region, and Americans seem to have a more cavilar attuide to the law. Then again most commit a few felonies a day, and they don't get arrested, that's not the same elsewhere.

Flybye likes this.
  6. KLaw

KLaw Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,243
    If im online looking for a product to purchase, I simply Google search for that product. Click on the link that most appeals to me as it pertains to the product im looking for. I could care less how many different other products the company has. Maybe im an exception though.

Flybye and Dramolion like this.
  7. Flybye

Rep Bank:
    $915
    Thankfully, I was able to get a few items on consignment to get things started, and I have additional funds coming in. So no, I didnt have to fake it till I make it on the website. :smile2: Its not something I would have preferred to do, though. But sometimes perception is important. I knew it was one of those dark side gray areas which is why I'm glad I asked. Ive never been the type to just assume things and move on. Ill always research and ask if necessary.

LittleWolfie likes this.
  8. IGP

IGP Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,734
    LOL - It's not fraud to list items on your site that say "Sold Out" or "Out of Stock"

If you plan on selling them and you don't have stock what else would you say?

There is no issue with doing this, but I would do what @amp0193 said and put a box, to capture emails at the least. I know my shopify theme does this automatically.

JohnZ123 likes this.
  9. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $610
    I guess dark side depends on your country? It's black not grey, if it is outright illegal. Grey might be violating the terms of service, spamming forum boards etc. This is on the level of violating CAN SPAM act or tax evasion.

10. IGP

IGP Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,734
    You've lost your mind.

If you don't have stock, there is nothing illegal about putting "Out of Stock" on your website.

msufan, JohnZ123 and TinyTim like this.
  11. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $610
    That might be okay, but he didn't say that he mentioned showing number of sold copies
    so if he says he sold 5 copies of his cd, if he does not have the 5 sales receipts it is untruthful, fraudulent and illegal. IANL, but I got one for my situation yours may differ

The grey area would be those 5 sales are to your parents,your brother and your best mate..purchased with money you leant them.

12. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $610
    It's the mythical product marked as sold That's the problem,he has not sold it.out of stock is pushing it. You could say upcoming products or planned lines or coming soon instead of out of stock.

Remember, I'm not in the USA, so my laws may not apply to you. On the flip side nothing illegal about selling Alcohol to 18 year olds. Imagine If that was what I was suggesting to an American entrapuner lol.

13. Flybye

Rep Bank:
    $915
    Yeah advertising Product B as in stock when its not is completly different than someone seeing a picture of Product A that you may have sold in the past. The only reason to have pictures of things you may have sold in the past is to give the perception that you have some history being in business vs someone seeing you with just one current product. I think of it in terms of an eBay seller. People are more inclined to buy an expensive item from a seller with thousands of positive feedback vs buying the same item from a seller that just opened up their account and have zero feedback.

LittleWolfie likes this.
  14. LittleWolfie

Rep Bank:
    $610

This is why it want friends to buy my product when I put it on eBay, it's more grey, but it is not black, they really did buy it, and leave a review.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.