The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm quitting my job next month...will I make it or fake it?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

kylebryant04

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 15, 2020
Houston, Texas
Even if no one reads this thread, I wanted to chronicle my path to entrepreneurial success...or failure. I'm quitting my job next month (in THIS economy?!) to pursue my business (mostly) full time. I've got a few months of savings built up, so if the business turns into a ball of flaming fail, I have a few months' runway to "get a job." I'm a property tax attorney by trade, so there will usually be a demand from folks who want to lower their property taxes.

Here is my business: I buy undervalued, unwanted, and unused vacant land and sell it again online to folks who can't get traditional "mortgage" financing from banks to buy recreational real estate. My goal is to make buying real estate as simple as buying something on Amazon. I have a website set up with my available inventory, and buying a piece of land is as simple as clicking "buy now" and entering your credit card info. We take care of all the paperwork, recording, closing, etc.

How do we buy? Direct mail marketing targeted to folks who have owned vacant real estate for a long time, but have never developed it or used it. We use county ownership data (public record) aggregated by databases to collect potential leads. Then we use Excel and Mail Merge to send thousands of offers at a time.

How do we sell? We have several marketing channels, including Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Paid internet traffic, paid listing sites, and a growing email subscriber list.

What value do we add? We provide quick, hassle free purchases for folks who don't use their property. They get our letter, send back a signed agreement, and if we want the property, they have cash in hand quickly. Then we use creative marketing (drone video, aerial photos, minor improvements, etc.) to bring that property to the people most likely to want to use it (recreational weekend folks, hunters, "preppers," investors, etc). We also provide financing opportunities outside of the traditional bank-lender headache. Very little extra paperwork. Plus, all of our paperwork is handled instantly online. The transaction process can happen in a matter of minutes from your computer. We believe buying real estate should be that easy!

How are we doing? This business is approaching the one-year mark, and I have bought and sold 14 properties (with 3-5 more acquisitions in the next month). There was a 5-month "desert" spell where I didn't make any sales and wanted to quit. But I had already had my "FTE" at my job, so there was no turning back. The main bottleneck to scaling the business is systems and lead flow (i.e. sending mail). We are increasing our monthly mailings to 3,000+ and are developing scalable systems to automate tasks where possible. Right now it's just me and one part-time assistant, but we may need to hire an intake manager as things grow. Right now we are barely profitable each month, but our income from promissory notes is growing steadily and will cover the business overhead costs in a matter of a month or two.

What is my goal? First and foremost, we want to provide an opportunity for ordinary folks to own rural or recreational real estate, and to be able to purchase it in a smooth, pain-free process. Buying real estate should be as easy as the online shopping cart. Monetarily speaking, initially, my goal is to reach $10,000 per month in recurring note income in the next 2 years, and $100,000 per month in recurring note income in the next 5 years. I believe we can do it.

I'm here to chronicle that long haul---hopefully it's a long haul and not a short one. Either way, and regardless if anyone cares, I'm putting it down here! Would love to answer any questions about the business, as I currently eat, sleep, and breath the business most days. Aside from my wife and young son, this business gets my full attention. Thanks for any feedback!

p.s. don't know if self-promoting is allowed, but if anyone wants to see my website to test it out, just let me know and I'll post a link

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Even if no one reads this thread, I wanted to chronicle my path to entrepreneurial success...or failure. I'm quitting my job next month (in THIS economy?!) to pursue my business (mostly) full time. I've got a few months of savings built up, so if the business turns into a ball of flaming fail, I have a few months' runway to "get a job." I'm a property tax attorney by trade, so there will usually be a demand from folks who want to lower their property taxes.

Here is my business: I buy undervalued, unwanted, and unused vacant land and sell it again online to folks who can't get traditional "mortgage" financing from banks to buy recreational real estate. My goal is to make buying real estate as simple as buying something on Amazon. I have a website set up with my available inventory, and buying a piece of land is as simple as clicking "buy now" and entering your credit card info. We take care of all the paperwork, recording, closing, etc.

How do we buy? Direct mail marketing targeted to folks who have owned vacant real estate for a long time, but have never developed it or used it. We use county ownership data (public record) aggregated by databases to collect potential leads. Then we use Excel and Mail Merge to send thousands of offers at a time.

How do we sell? We have several marketing channels, including Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Paid internet traffic, paid listing sites, and a growing email subscriber list.

What value do we add? We provide quick, hassle free purchases for folks who don't use their property. They get our letter, send back a signed agreement, and if we want the property, they have cash in hand quickly. Then we use creative marketing (drone video, aerial photos, minor improvements, etc.) to bring that property to the people most likely to want to use it (recreational weekend folks, hunters, "preppers," investors, etc). We also provide financing opportunities outside of the traditional bank-lender headache. Very little extra paperwork. Plus, all of our paperwork is handled instantly online. The transaction process can happen in a matter of minutes from your computer. We believe buying real estate should be that easy!

How are we doing? This business is approaching the one-year mark, and I have bought and sold 14 properties (with 3-5 more acquisitions in the next month). There was a 5-month "desert" spell where I didn't make any sales and wanted to quit. But I had already had my "FTE" at my job, so there was no turning back. The main bottleneck to scaling the business is systems and lead flow (i.e. sending mail). We are increasing our monthly mailings to 3,000+ and are developing scalable systems to automate tasks where possible. Right now it's just me and one part-time assistant, but we may need to hire an intake manager as things grow. Right now we are barely profitable each month, but our income from promissory notes is growing steadily and will cover the business overhead costs in a matter of a month or two.

What is my goal? First and foremost, we want to provide an opportunity for ordinary folks to own rural or recreational real estate, and to be able to purchase it in a smooth, pain-free process. Buying real estate should be as easy as the online shopping cart. Monetarily speaking, initially, my goal is to reach $10,000 per month in recurring note income in the next 2 years, and $100,000 per month in recurring note income in the next 5 years. I believe we can do it.

I'm here to chronicle that long haul---hopefully it's a long haul and not a short one. Either way, and regardless if anyone cares, I'm putting it down here! Would love to answer any questions about the business, as I currently eat, sleep, and breath the business most days. Aside from my wife and young son, this business gets my full attention. Thanks for any feedback!

p.s. don't know if self-promoting is allowed, but if anyone wants to see my website to test it out, just let me know and I'll post a link

Good luck! How have you been finding the undervalued land?

kylebryant04

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 15, 2020
Houston, Texas
I use various data points to figure out where land is selling well (e.g., within a couple hours of a city, nice outdoor features, low taxes, etc), then I get ownership records from databases, target people who live out of county or out of state, and who have owned their property for a long time.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I've got a few months of savings built up, so if the business turns into a ball of flaming fail, I have a few months' runway to "get a job." I'm a property tax attorney by trade, so there will usually be a demand from folks who want to lower their property taxes.

When you have in-demand skills, you should never be worried about quitting your job.

Skills are the ultimate backup plan.

My business could go away tomorrow, and I could instantly start trading my skills for money on an hourly basis.

Love this business idea... I bet the demand from "preppers" is increasing quite a bit right now.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
I've investigated buying land for hunting before, and was scared off by the fact that the only loans being offered for land required 50% down. How do you get around this to make it easier for folks?

ps.. I'm not currently in the market, just curious lol

kylebryant04

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 15, 2020
Houston, Texas
I've investigated buying land for hunting before, and was scared off by the fact that the only loans being offered for land required 50% down. How do you get around this to make it easier for folks?

ps.. I'm not currently in the market, just curious lol
We do in-house financing on our land...usually with 20% down financed over 5-7 years.

We use a "Land Contract" instead of a traditional mortgage, which makes securing the loan with the land easier than if a bank did it. Basically, we hold the deed until the loan is paid off. It's incumbent on the buyer to "record" the land contract with the county. In exchange, we offer financing with zero credit/job checks. And buyers can cancel their contracts at any time. Because we buy the land so cheaply, it's not as burdensome to take the property back through "foreclosure" of the Land Contract.

kylebryant04

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 15, 2020
Houston, Texas
Today's Update: Some failures over the past year. At one point last December, I had spent thousands of dollars on direct mail marketing, software, websites, LLC creation, and the bulk of my money on property that I wanted to sell. But I hadn't sold anything yet. And I needed more money to keep the business operating.

I seriously considered packing it all up and closing it down, but my wife encouraged me to stick it out. So I did. I ended up selling 3 properties that month for a cash infusion, but I had some notable failures along the way. Here's one of them.

Since I buy property all over the country, I am not able to personally visit every single one (nor do I have the time or inclination to do that). Google Earth is my best friend when scoping out property digitally. But it doesn't always give you the full picture.

Well I wanted to buy this nice 5 acre piece of land in Central Oregon with beautiful views and creek frontage. Looking at the property on Google Earth, road access was spotty, and it didn't align with the plat map easements, but I thought it would be ok. So I bought it and had a drone photographer go out there to take some video and aerial shots. I should've perked up when he asked about the locked gate to the road, but I just thought he had the wrong road.

Fast forward a couple months and this property still hasn't sold. No one can get out there. I get a phone call from some guy saying he is the neighboring property owner and doesn't want people trespassing on his driveway to get to my property...he doesn't really want anyone out there.

Come to find out, this road on Google Earth is actually a private driveway that this guy built (and locked), and the platted easement is impassible due to steeply sloped terrain. That sucks. Price gets slashed by 70% and still no bites. Desperate for any cash, I had to let it go for a 30% loss--my only loss that I've taken on a sale so far. But I did learn some valuable lessons for the future.

First Lesson: have my drone video guys confirm access to the property (and film the access points). They don't mind doing it, and even if I end up not buying the property it serves as "access insurance." That's the main lesson---make SURE you can get to the property one way or another (legally and physically).

p.s.--if anyone is interested in how a certain aspect of my business works, I would be happy to explain it and/or take suggestions for improvements on process, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.