The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does your website suck?

Marketing, social media, advertising

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hola fastlaners, I just wanted to share some thoughts rumbling around in my brain. Hopefully it can help some people, later on you can buy my Facebook course for $997 (just kidding)

Today I needed to do some work (sourcing some packaging) been putting this off for a while...anywhoo, I headed over to google and typed ''Vancouver product packaging''

Behold the mighty results, I looked through all the sites and am making split second decisions on who gets my money, of course I'll still need to vet these business's.

I've narrowed it down to a few based just on how the website looks, ok this might be a bad idea but my point here is people that look at your website are quick to judge.. heck I'm guilty myself, would you visit the fastlane forum if it looked like total crap? Probably not.

Ok, so these are ALL different websites in my hometown, the third one totally sucks, a bunch of text that noone will take the time to read and is most likely a pass. My favorite being the first one because it shows what I want without being bombarded by a million different options as the other sites. Just some food for thought, I'll need to call all of them and see who gives me the best price/service and make a final decision, or consider sourcing mass boxes from China lol, probably cheaper..

I would take a guess that websites clobbered with texts and don't ''get to the point'' have a much higher bounce rate, after all there is a whopping 13,700,000 results shown yet the sites that have done the seo/adwords work are up at the top.

Are you getting in your own way of a sale? Whatever your business is, make sure its straight to the point and don't waste the customers time. It really ticks me off having to click through a bunch of menus and look for this and that, ESPECIALLY when I barely even know what I want myself......

Have a great day!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
The absolute SHITTY thing is that Google rewards “authority” so the more text (plus 198 other things) the higher their ranking. The text on that website is probably why it’s listed high and by being listed high they’ll get power in the map pack which is what they want. If you were an owner of a company and your website was in the top three would you feel brave enough to remodel the whole thing?

It’s an ongoing vicious battle between SEO and Design. Mastering both is tricky af. I judge a company based on response time and on the phone call, not just the website. Websites lie.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
The absolute SHITTY thing is that Google rewards “authority” so the more text (plus 198 other things) the higher their ranking. The text on that website is probably why it’s listed high and by being listed high they’ll get power in the map pack which is what they want. If you were an owner of a company and your website was in the top three would you feel brave enough to remodel the whole thing?

It’s an ongoing vicious battle between SEO and Design. Mastering both is tricky af. I judge a company based on response time and on the phone call, not just the website. Websites lie.
That's the exact reason why companies fill their pages with text and links. That's for SEO.
Most of them don't care about UX, just traffic.

I've seen a web agency having around 40 links on their footer, all similar to each other. Guess why.
Honestly the Google algorithms suck and often reward websites for the worst reasons. The algorithms are far from being perfect.

I once had a blog and managed to rank first for different blog posts and that wasn't even hard. I just wrote a wall of text and adding a lot of related KW's.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
heh i learned more than one thing today... thanks :D

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

That is true about SEO, but the text should go at the bottom of the page, just above the footer.
That way you get the best of both worlds.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019

Tabs, accordions, read more elements. There are tons of options how you can put more Text on a page without hurting CRO

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
That is true about SEO, but the text should go at the bottom of the page, just above the footer.
That way you get the best of both worlds.
Tabs, accordions, read more elements. There are tons of options how you can put more Text on a page without hurting CRO

I know that and you know that. But a business owner figuring it out for themselves ..doesn’t. And this dude followed the basic rules and got up high in SERP’s and I know he’s scared to change it cuz it’s working for him.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Our definitely Suck, in fact, is Sucks much more than the examples above.
The funniest thing is that we do web development services :rofl::happy::eek:
screencapture-leanylabs-2020-06-13-15_55_52.png

Gone fix that in roughly a month, too busy with client work.

Update: Good that we're not a design agency ;)

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hated the customer service from all the websites above, found another place to possibly do business with, gonna go check em out this week..

I shot some emails out asking for a rough idea and what I'm looking to spend, stating I'll need some help figuring out my options, one company said they are not interested, others not being exactly helpful, another not even replying back via email after asking my location??? Ok...

Hopefully tomorrow I can get some stuff figured out. In person meetings might be a better option :clench:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.