Building an exclusive distribution business – looking for advice from people who have done it
I’ve recently been approached by a European manufacturer of technical products that is looking to develop the Norwegian market.
I have a technical background in the industry, know the Norwegian market reasonably well, and have known about their products for several years. I genuinely believe they have some products that could do very well here.
After a few meetings, they invited me to visit their factory. I spent a couple of days with their management, went through the products and production, visited existing installations, and we seem to have a very good relationship and similar thoughts about how to develop the market.
We are now discussing what a cooperation could look like.
One model they suggested is that I spend around 8 hours/week developing the Norwegian market in return for a monthly retainer. On top of that, I would receive their distributor/net pricing and essentially control my own margin in Norway.
They have also mentioned territorial rights and a model they use elsewhere where the manufacturer can eventually buy back the rights to a country at a “fair price”.
This is where I would really appreciate advice from people who have actually built something similar.
My main questions are:
– How would you structure/negotiate an agreement like this?
– What should I absolutely make sure is written into the contract?
– How would you handle exclusivity and territorial rights?
– How should a future buy-back be valued so I’m protected if I successfully build the market?
– Retainer + distributor margin: good model, or would you structure it differently?
– What are the biggest risks I’m probably not seeing yet?
– Has anyone here built a distribution business like this into something that eventually became relatively owner-independent?
I’m not looking to quit everything and gamble on this. My current thinking is to build it alongside my main income, limit the downside, and see whether I can prove the Norwegian market before scaling.
Longer term, I’m interested in whether this type of model could be repeated with other non-competing manufacturers and become a broader market-entry/distribution business.
Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually walked this path – including the mistakes.
I’ve recently been approached by a European manufacturer of technical products that is looking to develop the Norwegian market.
I have a technical background in the industry, know the Norwegian market reasonably well, and have known about their products for several years. I genuinely believe they have some products that could do very well here.
After a few meetings, they invited me to visit their factory. I spent a couple of days with their management, went through the products and production, visited existing installations, and we seem to have a very good relationship and similar thoughts about how to develop the market.
We are now discussing what a cooperation could look like.
One model they suggested is that I spend around 8 hours/week developing the Norwegian market in return for a monthly retainer. On top of that, I would receive their distributor/net pricing and essentially control my own margin in Norway.
They have also mentioned territorial rights and a model they use elsewhere where the manufacturer can eventually buy back the rights to a country at a “fair price”.
This is where I would really appreciate advice from people who have actually built something similar.
My main questions are:
– How would you structure/negotiate an agreement like this?
– What should I absolutely make sure is written into the contract?
– How would you handle exclusivity and territorial rights?
– How should a future buy-back be valued so I’m protected if I successfully build the market?
– Retainer + distributor margin: good model, or would you structure it differently?
– What are the biggest risks I’m probably not seeing yet?
– Has anyone here built a distribution business like this into something that eventually became relatively owner-independent?
I’m not looking to quit everything and gamble on this. My current thinking is to build it alongside my main income, limit the downside, and see whether I can prove the Norwegian market before scaling.
Longer term, I’m interested in whether this type of model could be repeated with other non-competing manufacturers and become a broader market-entry/distribution business.
Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually walked this path – including the mistakes.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
