The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION EternalStudent's progress thread - to Ecommerce and beyond

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Initially i was going to wait until my business was a roaring success before i started this thread... but listening to Unscripted again where MJ talks about the forum being a resource to learn from others' losses as well as victories, i decided to start my progress thread right now, even though i have very little to show for my efforts so far.

I am working on getting my first ecommerce site off the ground.

Currently I have a website set up and am recovering from the ego bruising that resulted from my first FB ad campaign.

Lessons learned so far:
  • If you think (like i did) that choosing the right product is the only thing stopping you from making money in ecom, think again!
  • Dont bother trying to take product photos yourself. There are professionals online that will do better than you can even imagine. Seriously, save yourself the embarassment
  • GoDaddy are amazing at first but I am starting to loathe them. SSL certs cost an arm and a leg through them but are free on other providers eg HostGator! I'm looking to make the switch this week
  • Writing good copy is harder than it looks. I thought my first crack at it came out well until i started reading about product page optimisation.. lots of work to do here!
  • Getting your first ad published on FB is just the beginning.

Next steps are:
  • moving from a com.au to a .com domain
  • Re-write my product page to be more conversational and customer centric
  • Re-do landing page to be more generic (currently it is focused on one product but i think it will be better to make it about the niche and why customers should choose my brand over others)

Once my product page is optimised I will have another go at FB ads. I know that the first scene is getting people's attention, but viewers are scrolling down 1 second after the second scene starts. Lots to think about!!

Happy to share more information about any of the above if you are interested!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Quick update... I have redone my website copy, moved over to a .com url and restarted my fb ads. I made a new ad and also signed up for google ads too.

When i set up the Google ads i got to preview a Google search result, which showed many other websites (amazon, etsy etc) selling the exact same product. How did I not see these when i did my initial research?
I think now that i was so desperate to get something moving that i just went with the first product that caught my attention and ignored/blocked out red flags.

I am glad that i only made a small order to test the market interest, so have only spent around $300in total for product, website, photos etc. Overall a good investment considering what i have learned.

In unscripted MJ talks about the hard way being the easy way and vice versa (ENTRY). If this new ad campaign doesnt get traction I will kill the ads, shut up shop and move on to one of the many ideas that have the potential to really impact people's lives.

Random side note.. i got a 6% payrise out of the blue yesterday, bringing my salary to over $80k. I'm 28 and havent formally studied since high school. If you are looking for a profession that is in high demand and will never go out of style, consider Compliance or Risk management. Happy to answer any questions you might have in relation to this.

Anyways, I have a B2B SaaS idea that I will look at should my current ad campaign not take off. I've already learned the importance of validating market interest so am looking forward to doing this first using a similar approach to the WPEngine guy (sorry, couldnt find the thread to share here)

Will update in around 1 week to give my ads time to calibrate. Have a great one!

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Its been 2 weeks since my last update. In that time, i was able to get over 10k impressions but still not a single sale, so I killed the project.

I listed the domain for sale and will list my samples on FB marketplace.

I also read a few books:
Never Give Up by Donal Trump - the first few chapters were great but it turned into a bit of a brag-a-thon as it went on. Still, interesting to get a glimpse into some of the man's thought processes. No matter what people say about him, his business savvy cannot be denied.

The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday - Didnt live up to the hype for me. Its short but i still didnt finish it. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter and stories of adversity were entertaining and inspirational but Holiday's takes on them were a bit meh.

Shoe Dog by Phil Knight - One of the best books I have, and will ever read in my life. Strongly recommend.

I started doing some planning for my SaaS.
It's pretty simple and there are some solutions already out there, but they are overpriced and incomplete.
It's a marketing-compliance related app. My employer has needed something like it for years but just never had the time to put it together, so I know there is demand for it.

I found out about GPT-3 last week - holy moly! There is so much potential for entrepreneurs who can find use cases for it. I cant find anything on Udemy about it - Opportunity for someone who has the expertise to get the first mover advantage in that space! If you end up making a course, let me know and I will buy it!

Commitment for September is to get the logic mapped out for the SaaS in the form of a matrix and flowchart. If I manage to complete that, I will start building the MVP in bubble.io
I want to offer 4 main features, but will add them as I go.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Read the free book, some excellent insights. I also did the website quiz and I did a visual on a...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom