The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Escaping poverty traps in road to financial freedom and location independence

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
Hello all fastlaners. Here is a background of the last couple years (rather long). You can skip to end for TLDR if pressed on time.

Background:

I graduated from college in 2013 with - you guessed it - a business degree :(

There were great times and definite benefits of college, however, I feel that I could have received similar benefits from traveling, work experience, and self taught education in a greatly reduced time period.

After college I worked two jobs for 5 months while saving money up to backpack Europe. Backpacking Europe was an incredible learning experience about myself and it involved a lot of deep introspection of who I was, who I am, and where I want to be. I learned that ultimately I want to have enough income to not constantly worry about bills while at the same time making a positive social impact (helping people directly or indirectly). I believe that this is what the vast majority of millennials want to do as well.

After returning from Europe I worked for a start-up and a brewery for a while but it wasn't rewarding or challenging enough. I then switched to a non-profit where the purpose was very fulfilling.

There was one constant theme that rang true at every organization I have worked for: none of the managers were leaders. Not only did they not know how to lead a team but the majority of the time they actually provided motivation to do a bad job. It's very frustrating especially when employees including myself want the organizations to succeed.

This experience has led me to the conclusion that I want to start a company that employees love coming to work for. I want to provide an organization that helps millennials grow as professionals and people all while providing an awesome service/product for customers. I believe there are a handful of companies that operate like this but far too few. This is my end goal.

Currently I work 40 hours a week at the non-profit making $16/hr. My income is usually around $2,000 a month sometimes a little bit higher. My expenses are around $2,000: $700 rent, $500 bills/food/fun, $500 student loans, $200 savings, $100 retirement. It's a tight budget and I constantly have to dip into savings for any unexpected expenses.

One day about six months ago I laid down and wrote where I was in life and where I wanted to be. Although starting a company is my end goal, it's extremely difficult to do give my financial constraints. I figured I needed a transition period where I could build my skill set and earn more income. To me there were 3 options that gave me a high chance of success: 1) Better job 2) Independent contractor (think Uber) 3) Freelance

I have chosen to freelance.

I am currently applying to higher paying positions as a backup option.

I started my freelance journey on June 1st with $500. I have chosen to become a web developer because it will increase my income and allow location independence. I have never coded before but after 24 days of hard work I am now able to produce quality websites using html, css, and php.

Through my network I have already signed two clients. The first client is paying me $500 for a portfolio website. The second client is doing trade for a similar website.

I am telling my story because I want people who have crappy jobs to know there is hope.

I had no idea things would kickstart so fast. I understand freelancing can be difficult and is trading time for money but to me it's the perfect stepping stone for my situation. Through hard work and persistence I have adjusted my road. It may only be a degree or two today but when stretched out over the coming years it will be a huge difference.

I firmly believe that this has been the best decision I have made. I cannot wait for the experience and growth that will happen over the next 6 months.

TLDR - college did not set me up for success. I started web development freelancing with zero experience. I am just completing my first month with two clients and $500 in revenue.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nanetto

New Contributor
Jun 24, 2015
Hello my friend, thak you for your story, i'm From Europe ;) Where did you travel? If you're interested, i'm looking for an USA commercial partner for a seo project. Feel free to contact me on skype. My nickname is nanettto (Francesco). Bye!

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
The job I'm at has a terrible website so instead of outsourcing I am just learning it as I go. I feel the more I learn and know I realize how little I know.

I try to stick to best practices as often as possible and even though I'm not very skilled at coding I'm able to navigate, edit, and create sites rather quickly now.

Also for my current position it involves a lot of research on businesses in the area and I was exposed to a bunch of really bad websites through it. I realized that offering a website redesign would be very beneficial to the businesses.

I hope that answered your question!

Nanetto

New Contributor
Jun 24, 2015
I try to stick to best practices as often as possible and even though I'm not very skilled at coding I'm able to navigate, edit, and create sites rather quickly now.

If i could suggest a more rapid way to your financial indipendence, because you're able to navigate and you know the net, you could outsource the coding part with some service as Freelancer, Upwork or Fiverr... So you can foucs on selling and customer relationship and let skilled developer to work on coding.. :)

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
If i could suggest a more rapid way to your financial indipendence, because you're able to navigate and you know the net, you could outsource the coding part with some service as Freelancer, Upwork or Fiverr... So you can foucs on selling and customer relationship and let skilled developer to work on coding.. :)

That is a great idea thank you.

Right now I am enjoying creating websites and learning all the different aspects that go along with it (design, copywriting, seo, structure).

My thought process is I think hiring another developer is something that could be in the cards later down the road. I think gaining these skills will allow me to create websites/companies on my own in a very quick manner with complete control.

I hadn't given much thought to hiring a developer I appreciate your insight!

Nanetto

New Contributor
Jun 24, 2015
That is a great idea thank you.

Right now I am enjoying creating websites and learning all the different aspects that go along with it (design, copywriting, seo, structure).

My thought process is I think hiring another developer is something that could be in the cards later down the road. I think gaining these skills will allow me to create websites/companies on my own in a very quick manner with complete control.

I hadn't given much thought to hiring a developer I appreciate your insight!

Note: you don't need money now to hire them...
I think this resource could really help you: http://www.extra1kincome.com/

Nanetto

New Contributor
Jun 24, 2015
I understand what you're saying and I think it's a genius idea.

I need to research potential independent contractors that I can rely on. It's on my to do list for the weekend

Frankly... i would start from customes research :) You'll find a lot of contractors but the more difficult aspect is to find customers..

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I feel the more I learn and know I realize how little I know.

Yeah haha same here! I have a college degree in IT management and even tho I learned lots of different programming languages sometimes I feel like I know nothing so I keep learning every day.

As for your freelance journey, I wanted to know on which site did you start offering your services? I have a good experience in Java and VB programming so I'm thinking about doing the same thing to boost my account a little bit while working on the Fastlane process.

Nanetto

New Contributor
Jun 24, 2015
Yeah haha same here! I have a college degree in IT management and even tho I learned lots of different programming languages sometimes I feel like I know nothing so I keep learning every day.

As for your freelance journey, I wanted to know on which site did you start offering your services? I have a good experience in Java and VB programming so I'm thinking about doing the same thing to boost my account a little bit while working on the Fastlane process.

It's truly appreciable your help for another Fastlaner ;) This is the right way to work, in my opinion!

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014

I haven't offered my services on any websites. My first two clients were from my network. For the last week and a half I have told all of my friends and family that I am developing websites professionally and if they know of anyone tell them I'm their guy.

One of my clients family members now wants to work with me. So right now I'm just networking and using referrals. If I need more work I'll email businesses or go door to door. Trust and connection is a lot easier to build in person for me personally so that's what I'm sticking to.

My hunch is that for sites like elance you need to have a strong filter and targeted strategy to get the best roi on your time.

Nanetto

New Contributor
Jun 24, 2015
I haven't offered my services on any websites. My first two clients were from my network. For the last week and a half I have told all of my friends and family that I am developing websites professionally and if they know of anyone tell them I'm their guy.

One of my clients family members now wants to work with me. So right now I'm just networking and using referrals. If I need more work I'll email businesses or go door to door. Trust and connection is a lot easier to build in person for me personally so that's what I'm sticking to.

My hunch is that for sites like elance you need to have a strong filter and targeted strategy to get the best roi on your time.

That's a great starting point! Networking is an art. If you'll be able to get 2 more customers from each new customer you have you'll don't need any website to promote your work!

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada

Yeah that is better when you can find people in person. I thought that you were able to find clients on sites like elance so quickly and I know that the competition is fierce!

And seriously, 24 days to learn coding is pretty impressive.

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
Yeah that is better when you can find people in person. I thought that you were able to find clients on sites like elance so quickly and I know that the competition is fierce!

And seriously, 24 days to learn coding is pretty impressive.

Thanks man! And I definitely don't know much just the very very basics.

I know there are a couple threads on here detailing how to land jobs on elance. I think if you use the search you can find some quality posts how to really improve your close rate.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Thanks man! And I definitely don't know much just the very very basics.

I know there are a couple threads on here detailing how to land jobs on elance. I think if you use the search you can find some quality posts how to really improve your close rate.
Thanks, that's a good idea! I'm new here and for the past couple of days I've been absorbing everything. Some really good advice on which books to read, how to start, what not to do and a lot of inspiring stories from the members of the forum.

People>Cash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jun 4, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
@sija1

The second link is more hustling whereas the first link is a more targeted approach. The first link is based around copywriting but you can apply it to anything.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...e-money-copywriting-in-15-days-or-less.59465/

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-now-to-fund-your-business.60975/#post-468110

I'm at work at the moment so I didn't read everything, but it looks great, I'll definitely read the whole thing this evening!

Thank you very much!

Lee Hyde

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jun 24, 2015
Derby, Uk
Great story buddy. I'm 22, ex army avionics technician, served 4 years, I also have 18 months experience at a well constructed company (Bombardier) and 6 months experience at a company that is a, "How Not To Run A Company" type of company. Haha.

Anyway, i'm currently going through a transition and hoping things kickstart like yourself.

All the best my friend.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

G

GuestUser112

Hey man!

If you learned accounting in your business education, then you learned something worthwhile. If web development and coding is what you want to learn, then I highly recommend that you check out some For Dummies books written by Andy Harris. I think that any coder would benefit from buying every For Dummies book he has written and using it as a reference guide. He covers all the fundamentals and he knows the territory better than most, and explains things in a simple and concise way - there is a reason the For Dummies brand hired him for most of their coding books.

I don't code really, but when I wanted to learn some web design, I picked up a copy of HTML5 and CSS3 For Dummies by Andy Harris and I was very impressed - and he also does Javascript, PHP, MySQL, Ajax, and probably much more. He also is a wealth of information for free programs to use for developing (Firefox developer edition, Komodo free editor, etc) and photo editing, as well as a website that offers free information to programs. In other words, he's legit, bro.

And Welcome! I personally think that any entrepreneur/free lancer would benefit from learning the basics of copy writing. I know that I learned a boatload from doing Gary Halbert's 30 Day challenge, and I still use his material as well as what he recommends as a reference guide. Even the old stuff. You can check it out here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ert-30-day-challenge-copywriting-group.50217/
It's a worthwhile study for anybody who wants to sell anything, including their own freelancing services.

And a word to the wise: this forum can turn into a productivity trap if you aren't careful. There is so much worthy information (and a lot of the other kind, sometimes) that one can find themselves spending hours delving into thread after thread. And don't be like me and get caught up in meaningless arguments. I'm an insensitive prick who thrives on conflict. Just keep in mind that there is such a thing as 'too much information', and you'll do just fine.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.