The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eric from Erics Cheesecakes

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Also consider that the best chefs in the world aren't always the ones in their own kitchens.

They go home at night, they take days off, they travel, they eat at other restaurants, they get inspired, and leave their very capable chefs to prepare their very delicate and particular creations in their absence.

Yes, they routinely inspect their restaurants and work in them regularly enough, but there isn't a world class restaurant on earth that can't open if the owner is sick (outside of perhaps a few VERY niche "concept" places run by chefs who have literally spent their entire lives working up to a point where people travel just to taste their work).
Also consider that the best chefs in the world aren't always the ones in their own kitchens.

They go home at night, they take days off, they travel, they eat at other restaurants, they get inspired, and leave their very capable chefs to prepare their very delicate and particular creations in their absence.

Yes, they routinely inspect their restaurants and work in them regularly enough, but there isn't a world class restaurant on earth that can't open if the owner is sick (outside of perhaps a few VERY niche "concept" places run by chefs who have literally spent their entire lives working up to a point where people travel just to taste their work).
Trust me..I know this. I was just responding to what is being said.
Yup, anyone can be replaced. No guarantees in this world.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Eric, just right now I was just going to order a cheesecake online for my sisters birthday. I'm in Cleveland. Was disappointed to find out that I can't order one online and have it shipped :(

I'm not sure where you got that information. I just shipped one to Scottsdale AZ yesterday.
I'm just waiting on the customers response as to the condition...etc .
It's a trial run, so all will depend on the outcome.

Last edited:

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
I'm not sure where you got that information. I just shipped on to Scottsdale AZ yesterday.
I'm just waiting on the customers response as to the condition...etc .
It's a trial run, so all will depend on the outcome.

I'm assuming he got that from the information on your website that says "shipping is not yet in progress", http://www.ericscheesecakes.com/order-form

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Yes I got it from your website? Can I order one? I'll gladly be a test subject :)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Super Great Idea. But there is a very important part of the equation that you left out.
(I) am Eric's Cheesecake. There is no Eric's Cheesecake without Eric.
So unless you can produce a better cheesecake then me....
All l can say is "Bring It".
Have you read anything that has been posted in this thread? Maybe reread......

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Yes I got it from your website? Can I order one? I'll gladly be a test subject :)

Humm...Let's see how it goes tomorrow once Mr Crawley receives his. I'm tracking as we speak.
@NaPal - Once l know that this works, then l will know how to proceed. If this works, l would be delighted to send you one. Im still working on the shipping rates too.
I will let you know.
Thanks for inquiring.

Last edited:

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
Humm...Let's see how it goes tomorrow once Mr Crawley receives his. I'm tracking as we speak.
@NaPal - Once l know that this works, then l will know how to proceed. If this works, l would be delighted to send you one. Im still working on the shipping rates too.
I will let you know.
Thanks for inquiring.

I LOVE cheesecake, it is one of my favorite desserts! What are the hurdles prohibiting you from shipping? I've seen a lot of people on here asking you for some time to get your shipping process down, so I'm curious as to why it has taken so long

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
I LOVE cheesecake, it is one of my favorite desserts! What are the hurdles prohibiting you from shipping? I've seen a lot of people on here asking you for some time to get your shipping process down, so I'm curious as to why it has taken so long

I get that alot. I have a loyal cheesecake customer base, just not consistent enough.
Remember that I am a small home baker with a converted garage. So space is a factor. Issues in the past have been storage of special cold shipping boxes. Purchase and storage of dry ice. Shipping costs that were insane. Most larger companies have a deal worked out with high amounts and lower shipping costs.
Those issues are still in effect. However, im testing a product l found that will help eliminate half of the issues.
However, l will not know until tomorrow when the cake arrives. That will determine everything.
So once l know what happens tomorrow, I will know if it do-able or needs to be tweaked.
Thanks for asking.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
View attachment 24207

Super Great Idea. But there is a very important part of the equation that you left out.
(I) am Eric's Cheesecake. There is no Eric's Cheesecake without Eric.
So unless you can produce a better cheesecake then me....
All l can say is "Bring It".
Ray Kroc's name wasn't McDonald.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sounds like you you've fallen into the trap of thinking you aren't replaceable.

Have you read E-Myth Revisited?
Because you REALLY need to.
Hell, I even think the MAIN case study in that book is a bakery.

Look, here's the bottom line - if you aren't replaceable, this is the math:

E = Number of employees making cheesecakes (just you, so "1")
C = Cheesecake output per person
P = Profit per cheesecake

Your equation:

E x C x P = your total earning potential

That's it.
That's the entire math equation.
Cheesecakes you can make times profit per unit.
Done.

The problem:

- "E" is a scaling variable, and it's capped right now at "1"
- "C" is capped by hours in a day
- "P" is capped by market forces

Now, let's say you E-Myth this thing and accept that you are replaceable.

Well, now the equation changes, significantly:

- You can hire/train 10 people to do the cheesecake making, making "E" whatever number you need it to be. You can even franchise it. Scaling becomes possible.
- You can use a machine set to automate aspects of the cheesecake making, which turns "C" into whatever number you need it to be. Scaling becomes possible.

None of is this is possible if you aren't replaceable.

Nobody is saying you have to stop creating great recipes or remove yourself from a business you love - but if you aren't willing to take a step back and find ways to systematize your business, you are going to be capped at the depressingly low equation above.

This is literally "Fastlane 101". You need either scale or magnitude. So either sell a 10 million dollar cheesecake, or find a way to scale the cheesecake output. And you can't do that if you are the one in the kitchen 100% of the time.

Gold post

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Chef Ramsay reminds me of this.

Although he's mostly doing TV stuff now, he still has about 35 restaurants globally (although one or two lost some Michelin stars).

And yes, hiring capable chefs is the keyword.

Over here in Malaysia, I see the poorly-done version of this. You have local folks hiring and training low-wage foreigners, and the food that comes up is like crap.

I'm not against foreign cooks, but I'd want standards.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
To me it’s pretty clear that Eric doesn’t want to expand. Or he doesn’t want it as badly as some of you.

If I’m wrong Eric, I’ve got a story for you. I have a friend that makes the best burgers in the country, we are talking a 20 minute wait line outside the door every day. I met him 20 years ago.

15 years ago my friend and I tried to get him to expand. I’m fact we were going to open his second location in AZ. I even had the location picked out in Glendale, AZ by the stadium. Just think I could be in the burger business instead of e-commerce now.

He had the same limiting beliefs as you. My burger joint never materialized. 10 later, his competitor that expanded sold for a billion. Yes, one billion. My friend still has the same single restaurant.

Believe me, I was on him for 10 years to expand... I gave up.

I know businesses with a single location and they are pretty happy. What is the reason he didn't expand, according to you? Is he unhappy? Is there anything wrong with him not expanding?

So do you think you failed in 'convincing' him to expand? If yes, what would be the reason you didn't get to him?

I know my stuff. I got the skills the talent and the gift. Im good at what l do.
Its just a matter of time. One day at a time.

Hey Man, nice to see you here. I like your approach and am keeping my fingers crossed.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Sounds like you you've fallen into the trap of thinking you aren't replaceable.

Have you read E-Myth Revisited?
Because you REALLY need to.
Hell, I even think the MAIN case study in that book is a bakery.

Look, here's the bottom line - if you aren't replaceable, this is the math:

E = Number of employees making cheesecakes (just you, so "1")
C = Cheesecake output per person
P = Profit per cheesecake

Your equation:

E x C x P = your total earning potential

That's it.
That's the entire math equation.
Cheesecakes you can make times profit per unit.
Done.

The problem:

- "E" is a scaling variable, and it's capped right now at "1"
- "C" is capped by hours in a day
- "P" is capped by market forces

Now, let's say you E-Myth this thing and accept that you are replaceable.

Well, now the equation changes, significantly:

- You can hire/train 10 people to do the cheesecake making, making "E" whatever number you need it to be. You can even franchise it. Scaling becomes possible.
- You can use a machine set to automate aspects of the cheesecake making, which turns "C" into whatever number you need it to be. Scaling becomes possible.

None of is this is possible if you aren't replaceable.

Nobody is saying you have to stop creating great recipes or remove yourself from a business you love - but if you aren't willing to take a step back and find ways to systematize your business, you are going to be capped at the depressingly low equation above.

This is literally "Fastlane 101". You need either scale or magnitude. So either sell a 10 million dollar cheesecake, or find a way to scale the cheesecake output. And you can't do that if you are the one in the kitchen 100% of the time.
OP, it’s your recipe. It will always be Eric’s Cheesecakes.

1 or 1,000 employees. Doesn’t matter.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Chef Ramsay reminds me of this.

Although he's mostly doing TV stuff now, he still has about 35 restaurants globally (although one or two lost some Michelin stars).

And yes, hiring capable chefs is the keyword.

Over here in Malaysia, I see the poorly-done version of this. You have local folks hiring and training low-wage foreigners, and the food that comes up is like crap.

I'm not against foreign cooks, but I'd want standards.

I can't relate to that, because it's just me. But l do understand about training others. I have a 16 yr old nephew that l been mentoring in cooking and baking. But he does not live near. So it's not often enough. No l have not trained him on my cheesecake, but l have him working on to make his own, like l did. That way l know how fully committed/passionate he is to the industry.

So l know l am replaceable. Im not saying that l am all that, because I'm not. But l know what I do, how to do it and l do it well. No one can take that away from me. (Famous Amos) - Lost everything including his name.

I'm not trying to be cocky, I just get a little protective of pretty much all l have. Marriott Corporation wanted to own it years ago, and didn't get it from me and in later years purchased The Cheesecake Factory. So they got their cheesecake, just not mines. Maybe a good decision, or maybe not. No Shark Tank at that time....just Sharks.

So maybe l have something or maybe not. I'm sure that l do have something.
But l will do whatever it takes to keep it.
I'm not saying l don't want to share it with the world. Because l will, and l know there are serious decisions and sacrifices to be made in order to succeed.

Only time will determine the outcome.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for Me Crawley's feedback.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I know businesses with a single location and they are pretty happy. What is the reason he didn't expand, according to you? Is he unhappy? Is there anything wrong with him not expanding?

No he’s not happy. He couldn’t accept that employees could do as good of a job as him. He couldn’t give up control.

Nothing wrong with not expanding if you are happy. Being unhappy and doing nothing about it is another issue.

Last edited:

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
No he’s not happy. He couldn’t accept that employees could do as good of a job as him. He couldn’t give up control.

Nothing wrong with no expanding if you are happy. Being unhappy and doing nothing about it is another issue.

It's amazing how others claim to know you better than you know yourself.
My wife fusses with me because each and every cheesecake l sell, l always worry about whether they will like it or not, looking for feedback, that rarely happens. She says that l should already know that they are good. To me it's good customer service.
I may not be a huge business that does not care what the customer thinks, as long as his bank account increases.
I care about each and every customer. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, it is who l am.
I will always be that way. So if many want to believe that that means that I don't want to grow, then so be it.

You don't know me, so you have not right to judge me.

For the record...I'm very happy.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's amazing how others claim to know you better than you know yourself.
My wife fusses with me because each and every cheesecake l sell, l always worry about whether they will like it or not, looking for feedback, that rarely happens. She says that l should already know that they are good. To me it's good customer service.
I may not be a huge business that does not care what the customer thinks, as long as his bank account increases.
I care about each and every customer. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, it is who l am.
I will always be that way. So if many want to believe that that means that I don't want to grow, then so be it.

You don't know me, so you have not right to judge me.

For the record...I'm very happy.

Eric, I wasn't talking about you in that reply.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Eric, I wasn't talking about you in that reply.

No problem. So many arrows coming from so many directions, it gets a bit overwhelming. I know everyone is trying to help. Some are a bit more abrasive then others. So l know l have to be more thick skinned and take all the shots. So it's nothing personal.
Thank you for your support. Means alot.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Update:
The cheesecake has reach Scottsdale AZ and has been delivered 4 hours ago Est. Thus far there has been no response or feedback.
Mr Allen Crawley has received his cheesecake.
Yayeeee.....?

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
1. Call up a local place that hosts events like weddings and get a quote for an event

2. Walk in to local businesses and get them to sponsor your event for advertising to a hundred or so people. Get them to pay for more than the cost of the event when all of your sponsorship dollars are added together. Say to them "I'll let you come to my event, advertise at it, talk to everyone there and even get a turn on the microphone promoting your business and it'll only cost $100" and get 10 businesses to agree to it. Easy.

3. Go to your local church, DM local instagram influencers to post to their audience...tell everyone in town you're having a community get together. Get people to RSVP.

4. Pay for the event with your sponsors' money and use the extra money to make your cheesecakes.

5. Everyone at your event gets a cheesecake on their plate for dessert and as they eat it you talk about your cheesecake business and how they can sign up for a delicious cheesecake delivered to their door each month.

6. Sign people up and deliver cheesecakes each month in a big truck.

7. Host more events.

8. Keep doing it...

9. You will sell more and more cheesecakes until you cannot make any more yourself. You will either raise your prices or use your profits to hire someone to make them with you or get a kitchen to make them in. This is how you grow it.

10. Now you are making money selling cheesecakes. You might even be making money without making them yourself anymore.

11. Once you have a highly profitable cheesecake business in one area, you will have learned many different ways to optimize your business through trial and error. You'll know the best way to make good cheesecakes for a low price quickly, as well as how to sell them without wasting money on unprofitable advertisements. Now you'll be ready for another location where you follow a formula using the brand recognition of your other successful location. I think they call that......a FRANCHISE??...

@Johnny boy - you are my mentor!

Every post I have read of yours just leaves me awestruck.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but you really laid out a detailed plan, step by step - that would work. Your plan could easily result in sales increasing by TEN times in a couple of months - and ALL LOCAL too. NO shipping!

YOU are the kind of person every entrepreneur needs to know.

I like your plan so damn much, I'm putting it on MY list of things to do. I was just telling my wife a few days ago that we should go eat at Marie Callenders again. She reminded me that they closed. Damn - such a great place that was. So the world has lost a place that was truly an indulgence in luxury.

Enter me and my cheesecakes. They won't be world class - but they will be far better than any chain restaurant or grocery store out there.

I have a high demand product that everyone loves. And I have Johnny's marketing plan. You can even adapt his plan to have your customers pay in advance. If you have 500 orders to deliver locally - paid in advance - can you make it work? Hire a delivery driver. Hire a baker. Hire someone like me to kick you in the penis... ooops - someone beat me to that one already (laughed at that remark earlier - sorry - I'm weak - couldn't resist.)!

Look out. I won't be Eric's cheesecakes. Instead, I might find the weirdest name I can think of -- like "Wild West All Things Cheesecake Emporium." We make cheesecakes just like they did in the famous wild west OK Corral genuine tradition! Laughable, right? Well, maybe - but memorable, that's for sure! Or, I'll pay you $1.50 for every one I sell. After 2 million cheesecakes, you're done and I own the show. That will give you 3 million in a short time. In the time this thread has been crawling along, we could have already done that and you'd be on a beach somewhere. That's kind of what Ray Kroc did with McDonalds - although he didn't have to. He could have started up and ran the show all by himself if he had wanted to.

Think, man.

Last edited:

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Congrats!! Eric, one shot down, allen received the cake (i assume?), tasted and will reply with the feedback. All going good man!
Now, what are the next 3 things on your priority list?
Are you planning to first sort out the law issue?

Lets forget about shipping n all for now.
What are top 3 things you are planning to do to make some impact locally?

You have great loyal customers but the frequency of the order is very less as you mentioned, right bro? So what do you thing you need to do to increase the volume?

Great hustle man! Keep up the work.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Ps. I like all other Post from great people above. This is just one of my way to support.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Welcome Eric.

If your product constitutes a productocracy, I'd say "Yes" it would be worth it to scale and expand.

Core obstacles in this objective would be:

A) Branding -- My gut tells me you would have to target the gift category as a primary market and go upscale with premium pricing.
B) Cold shipping -- the primary obstacle in expanding. How does Omaha steaks do it? How do other consumable products do it?

Again, this assumes a productocracy exists.

Eric, is that DPA laws of NC stops you from targetting gifting market?

As you don't have brick n mortal, you said you can't partner with cafe/shops. But is this also affect in contract with gifting businesses as MJ said?

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Eric, is that DPA laws of NC stops you from targetting gifting market?

As you don't have brick n mortal, you said you can't partner with cafe/shops. But is this also affect in contract with gifting businesses as MJ said?

Thanks again for the support. As l mentioned earlier that I worry about every cake that gets sold. At the moment, l have heard nothing from Mr Crawley as to how the shipping went. The condition of the cake. (frozen, cold, damaged). So until l hear from him, I am on standby for any moves.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Did you mention him? Follow up with him?
or just sitting and waiting?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.