machinistguy
Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
I've always known my range of knowledge regarding areas of a business were very heavily skewed towards the engineering side. As for knowledge of finance, operations, team building, sales, etc I'm mediocre.
My solution starting out was to focus on what I'm good at. Find a product who's engineering need serious improvement, and then just copy what the competition is doing to get sales. Make sure the product was high margin so I only have to kinda worry about the economics, etc...
But it's clear the biggest bottleneck my business is about to start facing is my knowledge of finance/accounting and how to use them to make effective decisions. Constant cash flow problems, unsure about how to handle new, more complex projects. etc.
I've found the following library of free MIT courses: Search | MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials
It's open access to courses from engineering, to operations, to finance, to project management, etc. They all seem to have lesson notes, and some have recordings of the classes on YouTube.
Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting:
Project Evaluation: Manufacturing System and Supply Chain Design:
These courses would be more time effective than getting an MBA for me; I'm sure you can find a course on whatever your knowledge bottleneck is. Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone.
My solution starting out was to focus on what I'm good at. Find a product who's engineering need serious improvement, and then just copy what the competition is doing to get sales. Make sure the product was high margin so I only have to kinda worry about the economics, etc...
But it's clear the biggest bottleneck my business is about to start facing is my knowledge of finance/accounting and how to use them to make effective decisions. Constant cash flow problems, unsure about how to handle new, more complex projects. etc.
I've found the following library of free MIT courses: Search | MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials
It's open access to courses from engineering, to operations, to finance, to project management, etc. They all seem to have lesson notes, and some have recordings of the classes on YouTube.
Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting:
Readings | Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting | Sloan School of Management | MIT OpenCourseWare
MIT OpenCourseWare is a web based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity
ocw.mit.edu
Readings | Manufacturing System and Supply Chain Design | Sloan School of Management | MIT OpenCourseWare
This section contains list of readings associated with the course material.
ocw.mit.edu
These courses would be more time effective than getting an MBA for me; I'm sure you can find a course on whatever your knowledge bottleneck is. Just wanted to share in case it helps anyone.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
