The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Educational business

Idea threads

xxx22

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 28, 2022
Hi, I am a new user to this forum, my idea would be to use an algorithm to randomise questions for a qualification in my current industry that I have completed 2 years ago+ combine it with question banks (issue: repetitive questions, the algorithm would give me a skew), later I could develop into more qualifications in same industry or add more content (videos etc.).
I know who I would market that to and already trying to get soft validation, as to where I'd need to start is I believe learning to code/web development, I started learning Python recently and wanted to ask if that's a decent language to do it in (for the algorithm), I am aware that web application would be a different kettle of fish. I do have some savings but not enough to hire a developer/also read some horror stories on here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Hi, I am a new user to this forum, my idea would be to use an algorithm to randomise questions for a qualification in my current industry that I have completed 2 years ago+ combine it with question banks (issue: repetitive questions, the algorithm would give me a skew), later I could develop into more qualifications in same industry or add more content (videos etc.).
I know who I would market that to and already trying to get soft validation, as to where I'd need to start is I believe learning to code/web development, I started learning Python recently and wanted to ask if that's a decent language to do it in (for the algorithm), I am aware that web application would be a different kettle of fish. I do have some savings but not enough to hire a developer/also read some horror stories on here.
Welcome to the forum @Prusak!

I think test/qualification prep is a good start for a business. You passed the test already, so you have knowledge that the average person does not (ENTRY).

Also, people want to increase their incomes and advance in their careers - and they will pay to do so. (NEED)

After you get the software to create questions set up, this should be a fairly passive income source, mostly detached from your hours (TIME).

Once you come up with a system to optimize test prep for this certification, you can transfer those skills/systems to other tests (SCALE).

My only concern is CONTROL. Can the certifying agency kill your business? (This is not me telling you to give up - just something to think about).

Besides repetitive questions, what else did you find lacking with other preparation resources? I agree that more questions without repetition is a value skew - but could you add one or two extra value skews? Can you ask others who have taken the test what they would have liked to see, or what they hated (besides repetitive questions)?

I don't know enough to tell you whether Python is the language you need for what you are trying to do. I would ask this though: do you even need to code (or hire a coder) for this?

Maybe this is as simple as:
  • using a Wordpress plugin for a course, or
  • hosting a course on Udemy with a question bank, or
  • using an LMS (learning management system, such as Canvas, Blackboard, etc.) to host a course with your questions.
Maybe you can just upload a new set of questions to the course on occasion, instead of messing around with your own database and the headaches that come with it.

If nothing else, a Udemy course with an expanded question bank could get you some validation for this idea (or not).

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Yes, you can do it with Python. If you want an MVP to try out, you can make the algorithm simple and backend scalability/versatility low. Later if the project goes well and you want to make it efficient and be able to easily add more functionality / users / modules, you re-write the whole thing, probably with the help of someone more qualified, and not necessarily in Python.

xxx22

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 28, 2022
Welcome to the forum @Prusak!

I think test/qualification prep is a good start for a business. You passed the test already, so you have knowledge that the average person does not (ENTRY).

Also, people want to increase their incomes and advance in their careers - and they will pay to do so. (NEED)

After you get the software to create questions set up, this should be a fairly passive income source, mostly detached from your hours (TIME).

Once you come up with a system to optimize test prep for this certification, you can transfer those skills/systems to other tests (SCALE).

My only concern is CONTROL. Can the certifying agency kill your business? (This is not me telling you to give up - just something to think about).

Besides repetitive questions, what else did you find lacking with other preparation resources? I agree that more questions without repetition is a value skew - but could you add one or two extra value skews? Can you ask others who have taken the test what they would have liked to see, or what they hated (besides repetitive questions)?

I don't know enough to tell you whether Python is the language you need for what you are trying to do. I would ask this though: do you even need to code (or hire a coder) for this?

Maybe this is as simple as:
  • using a Wordpress plugin for a course, or
  • hosting a course on Udemy with a question bank, or
  • using an LMS (learning management system, such as Canvas, Blackboard, etc.) to host a course with your questions.
Maybe you can just upload a new set of questions to the course on occasion, instead of messing around with your own database and the headaches that come with it.

If nothing else, a Udemy course with an expanded question bank could get you some validation for this idea (or not).

Good luck and let us know how you do!
Thank you for your analysis and a critical look at the business idea, I am trying to get/think of ideas for another skews, meanwhile I will keep pestering Facebook/WhatsApp groups; as to Control they wouldn't have any unless the organisation collapses (it's very traditional, 100 years+ old, rather unlikely), the syllabus sometimes changes but it's once in a decade usually.
A Udemy course isn't a bad idea to validate the market, especially, as the competitors don't do it and are rather pricey, this would add another value skew. I would still like to develop the bit around randomised questions as it would be a USP for my business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

xxx22

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 28, 2022
Yes, you can do it with Python. If you want an MVP to try out, you can make the algorithm simple and backend scalability/versatility low. Later if the project goes well and you want to make it efficient and be able to easily add more functionality / users / modules, you re-write the whole thing, probably with the help of someone more qualified, and not necessarily in Python.
Thank you for your advice, off to learn coding now and start the process, I was afraid of action faking but at least I know this will help me build an MVP

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.