The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ECommerce Scam - Beware

dbaker89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 18, 2008
Reno, NV
Hello,

As many of you know I started my first e commerce store, www.FerrariClothesOnline.com - One stop shop for your Ferrari Apparel needs! approximately 3 months ago. I have had some good success and just recieved this email;

Hello Seller,

I'm customer from singapore and interesting to buy any products from your company but before we starting the bussines i have two question is below:

1. Do you accept payment by Credit Card directly, NOT trough PayPal?
2. Do you ship out the package to Overseas address? I will responsible all cost.

If your answer for the both questions is YES please respons my email shortly.I looking forward to hearing back from you as soon as possible.

Best Regards
Joni Gultom

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems very scammish. I don't like how it is addressed to dear seller and is so impersonalized. I get the feeling it is a email spammer that will buy my products with a fraudulent medium.

Is there anyone else that has recieved emails like this? Is it a scam?

Dan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds suspicious, but it might be legit. The problem with CC is that if the card is fraudulent, you are on the hook. I have no experience in dealing with overseas payment processing, but you have to get certified funds somehow.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
My husband refuses to sell to certain countries because he has been burned in the past. Singapore is one of them. Our credit card company cannot verify overseas information so anything we sell overseas, we require payment through Paypal.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Dude, rule of thumb, you get an inkling of suspicion drop it. Theres tons of customers out there spend your time getting them instead of trying to figure out if that email was a scam or not. If it was legit you would know it.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have received almost identical email with different sender's name.

It looks too much like scam. Especially, most of the clothing manufactures are in Asia. Why would they want to buy from US and cost them more? They can do some research and just buy from the sources.

Ignore the email, that's what I would do.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My husband refuses to sell to certain countries because he has been burned in the past. Singapore is one of them. Our credit card company cannot verify overseas information so anything we sell overseas, we require payment through Paypal.

Singapore is one of the money laundry countries that I won't usually do business with. I do however get order from Singapore.

There are companies who take care of oversea shipping between USA and Singapore. So they make purchase from Singapore with paypal and I ship the item to US Address. Customer will pay for extra (cheap) shipping cost on their own from USA to Singapore.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Hello,

Hello Seller,

I'm customer from singapore and interesting to buy any products from your company but before we starting the bussines i have two question is below:

2. Do you ship out the package to Overseas address? I will responsible all cost.

If your answer for the both questions is YES please respons my email shortly.I looking forward to hearing back from you as soon as possible.

Best Regards
Joni Gultom

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my biggest red flags:

1. The buyer addresses you as "Dear Seller" which suggests to me that this is a mass email that is sent out.

2. The buyer doesn't specifically request any type of product, they just want to buy "any products".

3. They specifically ask if you are willing to not use paypal. Why specify that detail and not the product they are interested in.

Like other posters have said, if you get a weird gut feeling don't go through with it.

If you still want more proof (or just a good laugh) email the guy back and tell him that you would love to do business with him, and that your company would be more than happy to sell him as many pairs of girdles or diabetic blood testers (or some sort of completely unrelated product to yours) as they would like through a gateway outside of paypal. If they are willing to proceed, you know that it is a scam.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
during my researching of import/export I learned that buyers will post a letter of credit against with a reputable bank. Paypal may have changed this, but this is the way things were done.

Which as an FYI, this is affecting shipping companies right now since people are unable to get letters of credit, shipping overseas rates have dropped dramatically from what I have read.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Forget it. Anyone that you can not communicate with effectively will hinder you, let alone trust.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Looks just like an e-mail that I got when I was selling my car on Craigslist. He spelled "response" just like they do in your e-mail: "repons." Not saying that is the deciding factor when I communicate with someone...but just threw up a red flag in my mind!

Best,
Josh

sohin

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 2, 2008
Hello i own the site removed, I GOT THE SAME EXACT EMAIL from joni gultom from Singapore. I said yes to the person as i do ship to singapore and then the person actually placed an order for 32 watch phones a total of 4 order of with 2 orders with 10 watch phones and 2 orders with 6 watch phones. The thing in my situation is that this person has paid me using a mastercard. I use paypal's payment processing service but its not the same as accepting payment with paypal. So my problem is that i already got over $7,000 from this person and i have to ship out 32 items what do i do. How will this person scam me if this is really a scam. I have asked them to pay me with a wire transfer if they are willing to but not sure what else to do. Is this legit please post experience. THANKS

removed - Sohin Chhatrala

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
sohin, welcome to the forum. I removed your business name from your post. As a new person here you can let others know you have a problem that needs to be resolved and find solutions without promoting your business on our forum. Also, please take the time to post a proper introduction in the appropriate forum again without promoting your business. Thanks.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Sohin-

DO NOT ship your product to them until you call your credit card processor--which you need to call first thing tomorrow morning (unless they are open 24/7, then call them now) and tell them you are concerned that you may be getting scammed. Tell them everything you just told us, and they will have a fraud/risk department you can speak with which will let you know how to proceed.

Keep us posted.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
:ears:

Crazy Smiley Face Guy with Big Head and Big Ears Says, "Me thinks Sohin Chhatrala = Joni Gultom."

May the mighty Fastlane Claw take him to the place where all spammers rest:

:icon_toilet:

Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

As for the OP, I agree with the rest of the sentiment. I would simply ignore this message and move on. Better to be safe than sorry in this situation.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, aren't the spammers getting sophisticated? Sohin is a typical electronics spammer ... iPhone, 3G, Samsung, ya ya ya ya .... lets let it ride and see where it goes. :D

sohin

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 2, 2008
Haha i am not any spammer i have better things to do then make money the wrong way but thanks for your help yveskleinsky. like i said i use paypal payment processing system which is not the same as paypal though so i dont have sellers protection so i dont want them to call up their credit card company and i have no way of protecting items i ship to them. I have also checked with paypal and they said they had their risk dept to check it and approved the payment but i still have doubt and will not ship to this person unless they pay me via wire trasfer and i have money in my hand.... here is the order they placed to prove i am not no joni gultom.

ORDER CONFIRMATION Invoice No. 225

Bill To:
Joni Gultom
Loyang Offshore Supply Base,217 Sops Avenue,box 50
Singapore SG 508988
SG

Ship To:
Joni Gultom
Loyang Offshore Supply Base,217 Sops Avenue,box 50
Singapore SG 508988
SG

Order Date: 12/2/08
Payment By: MasterCard
Confirmation No: BLOCKED FOR PRIVACY
Shipment Tracking:

[NO WAY JOSE!!] - Hottest Cell Phones Items

Sub-Total: $1,499.94
Shipping: $59.99 (Two Day Priority)

Sales Tax: $0.00

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
The thing is, is that buyers have 180 to do a chargeback--meaning that your neck is out there for 6 months. If I were you I would try to get as much personal data from them as possible, driver's license number, birthday, etc and see if you can verify it with a bank or something.

...Hell, if it was me and I was suspicious, I would refund their money and just walk away.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Refund the money and walk away. Do you really think that "Joni Gultom" is buying 32 watch phones and wants 50 ferrari jackets at retail in the country of Singapore?

This is like a bunch of guys from India hiring US developers to develop their website. :rolleyes:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Folks, SOHIN is Joni Gulthom ...

In order to perpetrate the scam, "Joni Gultom" needs to come up clean on a Google search.

So Mr. Gulthom sets up a Google alert for the name "Joni Gultom" ... wham, this thread gets started alerting the scammer to the public exposure ... in comes SOHIN to right the ship and explain that he has shipped goods without issue.

Do a search on Joni Gultom .... guess what pops up #1? The Fastlane!

Incidentally, SOHIN's posts are awash in the same illegible drabble common with most scammers, plus we have an IP address that resolves somewhere in Eastern Europe.

This is fun!

sohin

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 2, 2008
haha all right well if you guys think i am a scammer then i really cant say any thing about this... if you are tracking my ip i live in poland right now as i am in medschool i dont really care if you guys want to help me with this or not i will talk to paypal but i would say instead of you people trying to figure out what i have to do with joni goltom why dont you help the person with the Ferrari clothing from getting ripped off. Well thanks a few people that actually helped me know that i should not ship to this person and just refund them. Thanks.

dbaker89

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 18, 2008
Reno, NV
haha all right well if you guys think i am a scammer then i really cant say any thing about this... if you are tracking my ip i live in poland right now as i am in medschool i dont really care if you guys want to help me with this or not i will talk to paypal but i would say instead of you people trying to figure out what i have to do with joni goltom why dont you help the person with the Ferrari clothing from getting ripped off. Well thanks a few people that actually helped me know that i should not ship to this person and just refund them. Thanks.

I think that's respectable.

I was only trying to post to see as it seemed too generic.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ok, so let me get the details straight ...

You are in Poland "right now"
and are in med school in Poland
and run an Ecom store selling electronics.

Wow, that is quite a diverse story. You must be a very busy man.

So, how'd you stumble across this forum?

sohin

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 2, 2008
I came across this form just in the same way you described above i got a crazy order from this person joni and so i wanted to see who this person is and you are right i did a search on this person and first thing that came up was this forum and with similar things in here as what is happening to me...........also to update the original person that started this forum is as i described in my other posts that i use paypal payment accepting serivce... so on the 16th of december one of the order that joni goltom placed came to me as a chargeback from joni goltoms credit card company... i didnt cancel the sale just to see what would happen and how this person might fraud me so i got the first charge back and so i think this person is a fraud and will end up taking your item and will end up getting their money back. I tried to also contact joni goltom to see if they can just send me a direct payment to my checking account but didnt reply to that at all.

Also to answer your question i am a really busy man i do a lot on the internet from here as that is the only way to get on the fastlane to millions

AC Tactical

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 14, 2009
First, this is my first post. It was this thread, (found through a Google Search) that led me here.
I see I am a bit late to this topic, yet, I too, just recently was contacted by this "Joni Gultom."
Same email:
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:33 PM
"Hello Seller,

Best Regards
Joni Gultom"
---------------------------
I did my due diligence and Googled the guy. (As I said...It led me here.)
Below is the correspondence (for all your enjoyment.)...
Subject: Re: Special Order
To: "Joni Gultom" joni.gultom yahoo com
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 5:10 AM

Credit Card - Yes! (Provide appropriate CC# through email, only)

Singapore - Yes!

Please provide a list of all items you wish to purchase. I will create a Complete Quote for you to review.
Payment to be Visa or MasterCard only! CC Information to be sent by multiple emails, also to include mailing address of card holder.

Thank you for considering xx xxxxxxx
(Sig)
----------------------
To: (My email)
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:29 PM

Hello Sir,

Before i send the order list just asking do you can supply the GARMIN GPSMAPS 76CSX?

Regards
Joni Gultom
-----------------------
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 5:30 AM
GARMIN GPSMAPS 76CSX? = Sorry, No.
To: Clarence Alvey III
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:41 AM
Subject: Insurgent Package with RAP47 Marker by RAP4

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your respons please give me the total cost for 10 pcs Insurgent Package with RAP47 Marker by RAP4 included UPS Worldwide Saver also give me the estimate shipping date, the shipping address is below:

G.T. PTE LTD/RATMI
Loyang Offshore Supply Base,217 SOPS Avenue,Box 5043
Singapore
Phone: 6281226921121

After i received your respons i will send the credit card information.
I looking forward to hearing back from you asap.

Regards
Joni Gultom
--------------
(At this point I vetted the Company & shipping address. Address was Legit. Company is an Oil Industry firm, not even sure if it is using thesame name as it looks like they were bought out. But, I moved on.)
Subject: Re: Insurgent Package with RAP47 Marker by RAP4
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 4:47 PM

Mr. Gultom,
Thank you for your Request for Quote. I will tend to it immediately and provide you with a full quote, hopefully, by end of day. However, just to play it safe, allow me 24 hours to fulfill that Request for Quote.

Please know that I am working to make sure this is a trouble free transaction.
----------------------
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:12 AM

Hi,

I looking forward to hearing back from you.

Regards
--------------------------
To: Joni Gultom
Cc: (My Company)
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:05 PM

10 x (Product requested)

- xxxxxxx
$7,250.00

Sub-Total: $7,250.00

UPS Worldwide Saver $575.00

Shipping Insurance: $34.50
Total: $7,859.50

Mr. Gultom,
I will need a number of things to move ahead on this transaction:

Credit Card Number (Visa or MasterCard only)
Expiration Date
Printed Number on Back of Card
Name of Card Holder (as it appears on the Card)
Billing Address of Card Holder
Name of the Financial Institution that has issued the card, including bank address.

All items are In-Stock. Shipping will commence after Fraud Verification has been completed...(Typically 1-2 business days.)

I look forward to doing continued business with you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
----------------------------
(Follow-Up email)
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:39 PM
Hello Mr. Gultom,
I hope all is well. I am writing to follow up with you concerning your request. If you have any questions or otherwise wish to discuss this Quote, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I appreciate hearing from you.
(Sig)
------------------
Nothing!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the report; with the new tags, anyone that he tries to scam will find this thread.

Thomas Carey

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 1, 2010
Well this is indeed a small world. I just got one of these suspect emails.

"I'm customer from Singapore and interesting to buy any products from your company but before we starting the bussines i have two question is below:

2. Do you ship out the package to Overseas address?

I will responsible all cost.
If your answer for the both questions is YES please respons my email shortly.
I looking forward to hearing back from you as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Ardhika LOren"

Already seeing a red flag I googled it. Found this post. Notice this scammer has changed names but is running the same sort of scam.

First, this is my first post. It was this thread, (found through a Google Search) that led me here.
I see I am a bit late to this topic, yet, I too, just recently was contacted by this "Joni Gultom."
Same email:
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:33 PM
"Hello Seller,

Best Regards
Joni Gultom"
I did my due diligence and Googled the guy. (As I said...It led me here.)
Below is the correspondence (for all your enjoyment.)...
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 5:10 AM

Credit Card - Yes! (Provide appropriate CC# through email, only)

Singapore - Yes!

Please provide a list of all items you wish to purchase. I will create a Complete Quote for you to review.
Payment to be Visa or MasterCard only! CC Information to be sent by multiple emails, also to include mailing address of card holder.

Thank you for considering xx xxxxxxx
(Sig)
----------------------
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 10:29 PM

Hello Sir,

Before i send the order list just asking do you can supply the GARMIN GPSMAPS 76CSX?

Regards
Joni Gultom
-----------------------
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 5:30 AM
GARMIN GPSMAPS 76CSX? = Sorry, No.
To: Clarence Alvey III
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 8:41 AM
Subject: Insurgent Package with RAP47 Marker by RAP4

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your respons please give me the total cost for 10 pcs Insurgent Package with RAP47 Marker by RAP4 included UPS Worldwide Saver also give me the estimate shipping date, the shipping address is below:

G.T. PTE LTD/RATMI
Loyang Offshore Supply Base,217 SOPS Avenue,Box 5043
Singapore
Phone: 6281226921121

After i received your respons i will send the credit card information.
I looking forward to hearing back from you asap.

Regards
Joni Gultom
--------------
(At this point I vetted the Company & shipping address. Address was Legit. Company is an Oil Industry firm, not even sure if it is using thesame name as it looks like they were bought out. But, I moved on.)
Date: Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 4:47 PM

Mr. Gultom,
Thank you for your Request for Quote. I will tend to it immediately and provide you with a full quote, hopefully, by end of day. However, just to play it safe, allow me 24 hours to fulfill that Request for Quote.

Please know that I am working to make sure this is a trouble free transaction.
----------------------
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 4:12 AM

Hi,

I looking forward to hearing back from you.

Regards
--------------------------
To: Joni Gultom
Cc: (My Company)
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:05 PM

10 x (Product requested)

- xxxxxxx
$7,250.00

Sub-Total: $7,250.00

UPS Worldwide Saver $575.00

Shipping Insurance: $34.50
Total: $7,859.50

Mr. Gultom,
I will need a number of things to move ahead on this transaction:

Credit Card Number (Visa or MasterCard only)
Expiration Date
Printed Number on Back of Card
Name of Card Holder (as it appears on the Card)
Billing Address of Card Holder
Name of the Financial Institution that has issued the card, including bank address.

All items are In-Stock. Shipping will commence after Fraud Verification has been completed...(Typically 1-2 business days.)

I look forward to doing continued business with you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
----------------------------
(Follow-Up email)
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:39 PM
Hello Mr. Gultom,
I hope all is well. I am writing to follow up with you concerning your request. If you have any questions or otherwise wish to discuss this Quote, please don't hesitate to contact me.

I appreciate hearing from you.
(Sig)
------------------
Nothing!

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
Welcome to the forum Thomas! Please take a minute and post an introduction so the community can get to know you and what your interests are. This will also help to find like minded entrepreneurs to discuss ideas with. Post it in this section:

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/introductions-networking/

Good Luck in the Fastlane! :fastlane:

KBand

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 9, 2010
Hi guys- I know this is extremely late, but I saw another post from a gentleman in July 2010. I, too, had the same experience with "Joni Gultom" last month. We messed around with him- we sent fake Invoices and tracking numbers from "Ima Dumass" and "Anita Rectum". We even included the fake Pro number from Uranidiotte Freight company. We even managed to call him by the WRONG name on purpose in EVERY email, and give him the WRONG "ship to" address in all the emails just to mess around with him. Then I told him that American Federal Agents were coming to his address, and that Americans don't like stolen credit cards. It sure did put a smile on our faces here in the office! Definitely a scam artist-haven't heard from him at all after the fed's threat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.