The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

eBook Ads?

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
This may be the wrong section to post this...and if it is, my apologies.

I have recently tried out a new technique (for me) of picking profitable eBook niches and writing/hiring someone to write a small book about the said niche. I have made some money passively from a single eBook I put out a week ago and sales have been continuously coming in. The idea is to eventually have 20+ eBooks on Amazon, each making 10+ dollars a day passively (You can see how scalable this could become).

My question is, is there any type of advertising vehicle that you can put into your eBooks similar to Admob or RevMob on mobile Apps? I, myself, have never actually bought an eBook before and I don't know if this is anything that has even been done before. After some googling, I haven't found anything of the sort - which may be because people would hate it and return the book right away.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and insight!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I like the idea. But I have never heard of that before. That's probably the future for ebooks! :)

What you can do now is just put in relevant links/banners in the ebook that link to a product/service that the readers would find useful.

i.e if you write a ebook about losing weight in 2 weeks... then towards the end of the book you can say something like "check out these recommended products;

how lose xxx in 3 days

why people are fat

how to control your diet"

and make the text clickable (i.e a link).

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
Maybe think more along the lines of being the "AdMob" for Ebooks.

It works somewhat in apps so why not ebooks. You could place ads based on the topic of the book and charge per click or per placement.

The only issue I'd see is that you would never be able to replace the ads. Meaning that you wouldn't be able to work like AdWords because you can't say that a book that is selling better will cost more.

As for your question, I wrote a book catering to a very specific niche. What I did was create the book and a 4 part video series about the topic. The videos were linked throughout the book and when the click happened they were brought to a squeeze page. I got the opt in and then I could use that how I see fit. I also took the videos and put them on Youtube.

A good example of this is here >> Bucktail Flounder Fishing - Underwater Drift View - YouTube

The video says "fishing" but just watch the first 30 seconds and how he introduces the chapter of his book in relation to the video.

This is not my book. Mine is not for sale anymore. This is just a great example of how I did it.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
After some googling, I haven't found anything of the sort - which may be because people would hate it and return the book right away.

^^^^ THAT plus I pretty much guarantee that 3rd party ads like this would be against the TOS of all the big platforms - Kindle, Nook, etc.

Just confirm it before risking your account I guess is my point. But yeah, even if it wasn't I could see the return rates on books loaded with ads hitting double digits.

Stuff to consider.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Back in the day, when SEO was new, and probably still going on a lot these days, people would pay to put their link at the bottom of a Wordpress theme.

Same thing would work for Kindle books. You pay me and I'll put a link to your (hopefully related) website in the Foreword of my book, or drop it into the story somewhere.

Think more of product placement, like how Coke pays to have the actors drinking their drink in a popular TV show.

Could work really well.

Do you know that the trend in the iTunes app store is dramatically moving towards free apps, paid for with in app purchases and ads. I'm sure the same will eventually play out in ebooks. They will be free, and then monetizes from within.

Zlive

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Sep 9, 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
If you banners or textual ads on every page of your ebook it's unpleasant for your readers. But if you put some graphics on a separate page of it, at the end for example, it seems OK. You can promote CPA offers as an affiliate and get paid $1-25 or even more just for every free email sign up you refer, in some cases people only have to enter their zip codes. As to me this is a wow. Spectacular opportunity to make huge bank. Don't hesitate to upsell, many marketers do it.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I have recently tried out a new technique (for me) of picking profitable eBook niches and writing/hiring someone to write a small book about the said niche.

I, myself, have never actually bought an eBook before

Someone's gotta say it and since Mark Cuban isn't here I'll say it

That's scamming people out of their money while you desperately chase to make a dollar. If Amway is hated so much on this forum with legitimate products, I don't know what level that puts a half assed, careless book on. You're attempting to sell the imitation of value. Just focus on creating and selling really good content and the money will follow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.