The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dutch company expanding to the USA

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
I don't understand, you're creating your own digital marketing agency, what does that have to do with outsourcing? Why should it matter that starting rates in NL are 50/60 EUR? Or are you trying to outsource sales? In which case, aren't you supposed to be able to generate warm leads using SEO and SEA, as that's your business?

On a more general note, do you have a successful existing business in NL?
If yes: it might make sense to expand to the US.

If no: you're choosing to compete in one of the most competitive markets in the world, and everyone in that market speaks the language like a native and understands the business culture like a native. I'd take a step back and re-evaluate the likelihood that'd you'd succeed, unless you can hire a team locally, but I don't think you'd be asking these questions if you'd be in a position to do that.

I don't want to be a downer, I just think that you should stack the deck in your favour. Don't compete in a crowded space, in a competitive market, where everyone has a leg up on you because they're locals. Just doesn't make sense.

I can answer some of your questions on taxes and legal structures as I've started companies in NL before and did some business outside of the EU, send me a PM if interested.

But honestly, consider what has a higher chance of success (when starting) doing business in the country where you have a network, speak the language like a native, are based, and understand the culture. Or doing business where everyone else has that except you, plus you're 6-9 timezones away from your clients.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Like @jpn says, start doing the work yourself first in your own country.

I'm offering services like SEO, Google Adwords, E-mail marketing and Social media marketing.

Are you an expert in these fields? It won't make sense to outsource if you don't know what your freelancers are actually doing.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Welcome to the forum.

If you're not knowledgeable on the subjects yourself, how are you planning on sourcing and vetting quality freelancers?

The value you will be adding, will be in sales however:
I'm in doubt where I should get my clients.

very few Dutch people who know my services
Very few Dutch people know SEO, Google Adwords, E-mail marketing and Social media marketing? :)

digitale marketing agency - Google Search

I'd suggest you create a profile on Upwork and try to land 1 project yourself so that you truly understand what is needed and what the process should be.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I'm outsourcing all the work (via Upwork). I'm selling my services in packages (€899/month cheapest).
If my outsourcers ask for $60 an hour I'm never going to make any profit.

I'm leading the company with the sales, documentation etc.

Just curious: how many clients you currently have?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

L457dwj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2018
Hello all!

It's a very big step for me to leave the slowlane and introduce myself into the fastlane.
I'm from The Netherlands and creating my own Digital Marketing Agency.

I'm in doubt where I should get my clients. It's hard to outsource in The Netherlands because the people ask for high $ hourly rates (50-60$). Also compared to English speaking people it's very difficult to find the right people.

I'm offering services like SEO, Google Adwords, E-mail marketing and Social media marketing.
I had some comments of others why I'm not expanding to the USA while I'm Dutch and my company Dutch registered.

How do I proceed? I think my English is average, I understand the most and I can make myself clear as well, of course it's not my native language. And is it possible to get American clients while I'm not American myself, company isn't American etc.

How does this work with taxes? How to approach American companies, I guess it's different then in The Netherlands/Europe?

L457dwj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2018
I don't understand, you're creating your own digital marketing agency, what does that have to do with outsourcing? Why should it matter that starting rates in NL are 50/60 EUR? Or are you trying to outsource sales? In which case, aren't you supposed to be able to generate warm leads using SEO and SEA, as that's your business?

On a more general note, do you have a successful existing business in NL?
If yes: it might make sense to expand to the US.

If no: you're choosing to compete in one of the most competitive markets in the world, and everyone in that market speaks the language like a native and understands the business culture like a native. I'd take a step back and re-evaluate the likelihood that'd you'd succeed, unless you can hire a team locally, but I don't think you'd be asking these questions if you'd be in a position to do that.

I don't want to be a downer, I just think that you should stack the deck in your favour. Don't compete in a crowded space, in a competitive market, where everyone has a leg up on you because they're locals. Just doesn't make sense.

I can answer some of your questions on taxes and legal structures as I've started companies in NL before and did some business outside of the EU, send me a PM if interested.

But honestly, consider what has a higher chance of success (when starting) doing business in the country where you have a network, speak the language like a native, are based, and understand the culture. Or doing business where everyone else has that except you, plus you're 6-9 timezones away from your clients.

Thank you for your reply.
I know all the basics of my services, what it does, what's good for, how it helps my client.
I'm outsourcing all the work (via Upwork). I'm selling my services in packages (€899/month cheapest).
If my outsourcers ask for $60 an hour I'm never going to make any profit.

I'm leading the company with the sales, documentation etc.

The reason I was thinking about expanding abroad is because the outsourcers are way cheaper, easier to find and easier to replace if needed (very few Dutch people who know my services).

L457dwj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2018
Like @jpn says, start doing the work yourself first in your own country.

Are you an expert in these fields? It won't make sense to outsource if you don't know what your freelancers are actually doing.

See my reply on the other person in this topic :).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.