The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropshipping?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Jake Studebaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jan 5, 2017
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
So, here I am. A kid with a dropshipping store selling camera equipment and what not. I have been at it for about a week and invested almost $300 in ad money. I have an email list of like 115 people, and I'm getting like 40 visitors a day. I have converted 0 sales, and I know exactly why. It's because I am struggling with the idea that dropshipping is a real business.

I have started real businesses in the past, for example a marketing agency that I had to put on pause for senior year classes (I didn't have enough time to network and cold call like I had wanted) and I have run a clothing line.

The biggest difference I can see is that one business solves a problem, and dropshipping is built on this idea of simply making money. I want to take my dropshipping store to the next level and actually solve a problem, I just can't think of any great ways to make it happen. And I have this bad habit of just chasing interests, but this time I put a fair amount of money on the line and I can't just leave.

I am wondering if there is anybody here who made it to the other side and is profitable now? If so what do you recommend I do (other than be patient, because of course nothing happens overnight). I want to get started on the right foot, I'm just wondering what you would recommend?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
My friend makes a solid 300k/yr dropshipping. He had to go around 20k in debt over the course of around 4 months until he began making around 1-1.5k a day.

The problems I have is that dropshipping isn't really CENTS because you're hinging on retailers like aliexpress and personally for me, there's a lot more motivation in doing something more impactful that upselling lol (but whatever floats your boat)

Jake Studebaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jan 5, 2017
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
My friend makes a solid 300k/yr dropshipping. He had to go around 20k in debt over the course of around 4 months until he began making around 1-1.5k a day.

The problems I have is that dropshipping isn't really CENTS because you're hinging on retailers like aliexpress and personally for me, there's a lot more motivation in doing something more impactful that upselling lol (but whatever floats your boat)
That's exactly my problem, finding motivation to solve a problem. I want to see if there are any people who have succeeded in ecommerce who feel fulfilled. To be honest I'm a student and the money couldn't mean less. I'm just wondering if it is a knowledgeable investment of time and energy. If you don't mind me asking could you put me in contact with your friend?

tribenation

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 28, 2018
That's exactly my problem, finding motivation to solve a problem. I want to see if there are any people who have succeeded in ecommerce who feel fulfilled. To be honest I'm a student and the money couldn't mean less. I'm just wondering if it is a knowledgeable investment of time and energy. If you don't mind me asking could you put me in contact with your friend?
I've been diligently trying to find reputable dropshipping sources here in the US, to save time on shipping for one thing. Most of what I find are actually middlemen distributors. The search continues...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
So, here I am. A kid with a dropshipping store selling camera equipment and what not. I have been at it for about a week and invested almost $300 in ad money. I have an email list of like 115 people, and I'm getting like 40 visitors a day. I have converted 0 sales, and I know exactly why. It's because I am struggling with the idea that dropshipping is a real business.

I have started real businesses in the past, for example a marketing agency that I had to put on pause for senior year classes (I didn't have enough time to network and cold call like I had wanted) and I have run a clothing line.

The biggest difference I can see is that one business solves a problem, and dropshipping is built on this idea of simply making money. I want to take my dropshipping store to the next level and actually solve a problem, I just can't think of any great ways to make it happen. And I have this bad habit of just chasing interests, but this time I put a fair amount of money on the line and I can't just leave.

I am wondering if there is anybody here who made it to the other side and is profitable now? If so what do you recommend I do (other than be patient, because of course nothing happens overnight). I want to get started on the right foot, I'm just wondering what you would recommend?
What value do you add to a buyer? Can I find the same product on Amazon for cheaper?

Most ecomm/dropshipping businesses require huge advertising spends to drive traffic, and then you need a high converting site to make it profitable. Head over to exchangemarketplace.com and look at the business listed there. I'm not saying buy one...just look at what they do and try to learn from the information you can find.

You will see that a ton of these stores are spending $5k+/month just in digital advertising to drive sales.

If you want to drop a link to your store (can PM it) I'll be happy to take a look and give you some advice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.