The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropping out of school

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Aris Cheese god

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 20, 2023
Sorry but It has literally become 100x times tough for me to study knowing Business doesn't require me to have a degree, Ever since I was a kid I got brainwashed into thinking that school will make me rich but after knowing how wealth is actually made I wanna drop out of 12th grade and focus on my business, I'm facing pressure from my parents to stay in school but I don't want to, I just wanna drop out and show them I can create wealth online, How can I convence my parents to allow me to drop out. This is what I wanna do in life, start an online business at the age of 17. How do I convence my parents to allow me to drop out

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You're in the last year of high school, and you want to drop out? That's beyond stupid and only shows your immaturity.

A normal job will not make you rich, but it WILL fund whatever venture you want to start. How are you going to raise the funds to start and grow a business if you can't get a job because you're a high school drop out?

What's your plan when your first, second, or third business attempts fail? What do you do when you're 25 or 30, poor as dirt because you've spent all your money on failed businesses, and can only get min wage paying jobs because you don't have your high school diploma?

How can I convence my parents to allow me to drop out.

For starters, independent adults with agency over their lives don't need to ask mommy and daddy what they are allowed to do.

Secondly, asking your parents to let you drop out so you can prove that you can be successful is backwards. You be successful first, then tell your parents you are dropping out because it's holding you back from being more successful.

I'm almost 40. If my son or daughter told me they wanted to drop out to be successful entrepreneurs, I'd laugh at them until they told me they were serious, then I'd yell at them and tell them to get their asses back to class. If they instead came to me with a bank account showing they earned 300k in Q3 of last year and want to take time away from school to see how much bigger they can grow it - I'd take their request very, very seriously.

Peter Abrahamian

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 22, 2020
Sorry but It has literally become 100x times tough for me to study knowing Business doesn't require me to have a degree, Ever since I was a kid I got brainwashed into thinking that school will make me rich but after knowing how wealth is actually made I wanna drop out of 12th grade and focus on my business, I'm facing pressure from my parents to stay in school but I don't want to, I just wanna drop out and show them I can create wealth online, How can I convence my parents to allow me to drop out. This is what I wanna do in life, start an online business at the age of 17. How do I convence my parents to allow me to drop out
Don't drop out. Instead, finish high school, and study something in demand like computer science / engineering in college. You will be around 21 once you finish college, and you will have an income 2x the US average. This will help you tremendously in starting a business. Plus, knowing computer science will help you more in your quest in starting a business. Also, you will make friends/connections with people in college. You can use that to your advantage. Having a programming job will almost give you a 6 figure salary AND it will give you the ability to create a business on your own with your coding skills. Now how awesome is that?

Arithen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 13, 2021
Canada
Dropping out of high school isn't the answer.

You can still be wildly successful and go to school. In fact, now more than ever we see younger and younger entrepreneurs who are making millions.

The thing about being an Entrepreneur is that you're likely not going to strike big right away; that's an "event" mentality. What will more than likely happen is that you will try, fail, try, fail, try... many many times. This is called Process.

"Process" is when you are taking action-based steps to improve your understanding of how wealth and knowledge can truly be created. Believe it or not, but you're capable of developing those things in school. You may even find that school could provide you with enormous opportunities because of the connections and networking you can make there.

Additionally, while you're trying and failing over and over again, you will want to have some kind of back up plan. You will probably end up working jobs you don't want, living in the suck, while you bootstrap your way to building a profitable business and developing your understanding of wealth through Process. You're not an ideal candidate in a first-world country if you don't even have your high school diploma. It is MUCH easier to fund your ventures if you already have a job that pays well and allows you the time to build and learn.

The lower you are on the payscale, the more likely you are to have to spend more time for less income.

So why not put yourself in a position where you have an enormous amount of opportunities, because you're skills, talent, and drive are highly desirable?

Lastly, I'm willing to bet that just about everyone in this forum who became successful has a highschool diploma and/or had their hands full with a part-time/full-time job and/or a family. Yet, they still found the time to build great value with their businesses. You don't need [all the time in the world] in order to be successful.

There's a recent thread on this very concept that you should consider reading.

Why Quiet Quitting is Holding You Back In life

Replace the word "job" with "highschool" and the title "Boss" with "Teacher and you're on the same boat.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Stay in high school and finish.

Consider it your first lesson in entrepreneurship.

Entrepreneurship can be tough, you'll do a lot of things that you won't like, or enjoy. It can be passionless at times. It can involve doing things that don't scale and are tough... kinda like what your doing now.

Finish school. Treat it like your first test in business with respect to discipline and results. If you average a C, strive for a B. If you're a B, strive for a B+. Strive for improvement in your final year.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
If you can't start a business while attending school, it's safer just to get a job and forget about entrepreneurship.

Starting and running a business requires superior time/energy management skills.

Last edited:

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
You're in the last year of high school, and you want to drop out? That's beyond stupid and only shows your immaturity.

A normal job will not make you rich, but it WILL fund whatever venture you want to start. How are you going to raise the funds to start and grow a business if you can't get a job because you're a high school drop out?

What's your plan when your first, second, or third business attempts fail? What do you do when you're 25 or 30, poor as dirt because you've spent all your money on failed businesses, and can only get min wage paying jobs because you don't have your high school diploma?

For starters, independent adults with agency over their lives don't need to ask mommy and daddy what they are allowed to do.

Secondly, asking your parents to let you drop out so you can prove that you can be successful is backwards. You be successful first, then tell your parents you are dropping out because it's holding you back from being more successful.

I'm almost 40. If my son or daughter told me they wanted to drop out to be successful entrepreneurs, I'd laugh at them until they told me they were serious, then I'd yell at them and tell them to get their asses back to class. If they instead came to me with a bank account showing they earned 300k in Q3 of last year and want to take time away from school to see how much bigger they can grow it - I'd take their request very, very seriously.

I competely agree with you, business is a marathon with up and downs ( the famous irregular success graphics)... most results show up with consitency over the years... personally i failed about 6-7 times, each time making ore money and bulletproofing my mindset... it's a long way to go, but I'm 22 so I have time... By the way, paradoxically, the more you study ( I mean , academical studies.. even tho in Itlay most of Unis are public), the more chances you have in the long term, and yes , having a job while experimenting in business is crucial to not remain without a dime ( it happened to me once , It's not a nice experience).

Cheers :)

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Don't drop out, I' 22 , I'm only 5 years older than You, but I can assure You that Your mind is going to change a lot in the following years, business is hard and the only way to succed is to apply... use finishing school as an opportunity to appplying to finishing stuff... I wanted to drop out to but trust me, I wound't have and the possibility to do a logistic course, for example.

After You finish high school I would sugest you to find a job, travel a bit and try new ideas, expecting to fail and learn , not to win, set your expectation low...

I've been practice Bjj for 4 months, and I haven't walked on the mat thinking about tapping everyone, even tho I'm in shape, strong and have stamina. I put my expectation low and I'm showing little improvemnts, training consistenly 4-5 x week. The more training, the more volume you do, the higher probabilities you have to connnect the dots and suddenly improve.

Hope that helps,

Davide :)

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
It is a decision that must come from you if it is you who supports you. If not, you must first obey your parents. But whatever happens and will pass if I were in your place with your age, I would not give up my university studies. you have already or almost arrived so do everything possible to finish.

I don't know if you read some of my story somewhere on this forum.
I gave up for three reasons:
1-by what I got into debt: I can no longer do the Jobs to pay my bills, take care of myself and still study mathematics. What could work was the rehearsals (master of study) for the children but the parents of students do not pay.

2-because the diploma I will obtain will not give me the Lifestyle that I want.

3-Because I want to pursue or devote myself entirely to entrepreneurship.

At 25, I no longer want to waste my time looking for a diploma that would be of no use to me. Why nothing ? because those who were able to get it, are stuck in the jobs they hate and complain about their meager salaries. They blame the government as if it had forced to study. Even if this diploma would be useful to me, it would steal something very precious from me: freedom.

very recently, on 01/15/2023 I had to move again because my cousin started by doing to me what dad MJ's mom was doing to her. and also, my neighbors can't stand my lonely side (on the days when I don't go out of my comfort zone, I stay locked in my room to work) but they think I avoid them. But it's my true nature (to be alone).

Before 01/15/2023 we have an argument with my sister, and I chose to move away to be quiet with my entrepreneurial dreams. She thinks that I do nothing with my meager current salary (40,000 FCFA= 55$). She wants me to find a more stable job, but I don't. because I know that with a stable job, it would be the end of my dreams. Yes I would be in a comfortable position in the eyes of my family and the entire responsibility would be mine alone. sometimes, I find the courage to say no, that I have nothing to give them (my little brothers/sister) when they ask for something, relying on the fact that I don't have a job.

Now I feel more free on my own. Even though it cost me a good chunk of my savings. where I am currently, the owner and his children are welcoming

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
My only regrets are the following

I should’ve completely stopped doing all homework and treated school as a giant joke

I should’ve dumped my one girlfriend and instead hooked up with every cheerleader.

I would’ve told all my teachers to F*ck off and I would’ve started my business even earlier so I would be hitting my millions in my early 20’s and not my late 20’s like a loser.

I would’ve dropped out after the first couple years of doing nothing else but having a blast.

You should absolutely quit school because that’s what a man who bets on himself and has some balls would do. You don’t need permission.

Don’t convince your parents of anything. You could pull out your laptop at school and tell everyone to F*ck off while you’re working on your business. You legally have to go to school you don’t legally have to care or pass.

I will not argue with anyone about this. I learned nothing. It was an indoctrination camp to make pussies out of everyone. I did not meet anyone important there. I should’ve left early and made the best of it by having 100% fun instead of only 50%. If I woke up and was 16 again in high school I’d immediately do the above things and I’d be years further ahead.

BUT. Don’t quit because it’s hard. Quit because it’s lame as F*ck. I do think school is incredibly hard. It’s much much harder than real life. Real life is so F*cking easy. Especially if you aren’t an idiot.

FlashingFlash

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 14, 2022
India

true you should always have a backup like 2-3 backup just incase something goes wrong

CEO of Money

Sedet, aeternumque sedebit
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 20, 2022
Montréal, Canada
My only regrets are the following

I should’ve completely stopped doing all homework and treated school as a giant joke

I should’ve dumped my one girlfriend and instead hooked up with every cheerleader.

I would’ve told all my teachers to F*ck off and I would’ve started my business even earlier so I would be hitting my millions in my early 20’s and not my late 20’s like a loser.

I would’ve dropped out after the first couple years of doing nothing else but having a blast.

You should absolutely quit school because that’s what a man who bets on himself and has some balls would do. You don’t need permission.

Don’t convince your parents of anything. You could pull out your laptop at school and tell everyone to F*ck off while you’re working on your business. You legally have to go to school you don’t legally have to care or pass.

I will not argue with anyone about this. I learned nothing. It was an indoctrination camp to make pussies out of everyone. I did not meet anyone important there. I should’ve left early and made the best of it by having 100% fun instead of only 50%. If I woke up and was 16 again in high school I’d immediately do the above things and I’d be years further ahead.

BUT. Don’t quit because it’s hard. Quit because it’s lame as F*ck. I do think school is incredibly hard. It’s much much harder than real life. Real life is so F*cking easy. Especially if you aren’t an idiot.

This got me all fired up! LFG!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Anyone with just 1 post, poor grammar and "I want to quit high-school" should not get as much attention as this thread gave. It's a self-correcting problem.

Dude 1 at 17 quits. He think Johnny boy style hookers & blow, life is rainbows and sunshine.
Day 1: zero income.
Day 30: back at parent's house homeless.
Day 365: post 2 here "I have been mooching off my momma's titty since I was 17, why can't I be a successful entrepreneur on the internet?"
Day 366: back to it... trying to get a GED.

Loserville is full of folks seeking shortcuts to wealth, but rarely do they find it. It's a lesson in failure and there is no need for others to join him. The truth is that it takes hard work and dedication to be successful. Quitters got none of that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You still need to get smarter.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Agreed! @Aris Cheese god you have been told what to do and where to be for all of your life. After 1 more year most of those voices will go quiet. You will graduate and be yesterday's news. The only ones that will still be on your back will be your parents if they are supporting you. If you move out on your own and support yourself no one will tell you what to do, all will be quiet. You will be all alone, with all your own resources and time. Believe it or not you have more growing up to do, life lessons to learn. In the next year life is going to teach you some tough lessons and your ears and eyes need to be open to learn. The typical high school senior knows everything, just ask them. Stay in school and learn some more.

From what I can tell nothing is stopping you from creating an online business right now. Actions, results, speak louder than words. Good luck.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
so I would be hitting my millions in my early 20’s and not my late 20’s like a loser.
LOL that's what I call high standards

Jokes aside, you're already in the top 2-3% of the general population of North America, and at least in the top 0.01% of the people you age.

A lot of 25 year olds are confused morons that don't know what to do with their life and are crippled by guilt, depression and meaninglessness. But they like to waste their limited life span on tiktok and youtube.

If I woke up and was 16 again in high school
Let me know when you find that time machine, I've been searching for one for quite some time.

Caminsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 27, 2022
Texas
Listen to what others here are saying. While a college degree is not mandatory for success, not finishing HS would be a mistake. College in and of itself is not evil either; it's just that many (arguably most) get a useless degree. Work hard and finish HS. In the interim, do your research and start exploring the paths you are interested in.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
Agree with everything but this. I mean c'mon man, the family unit is already pretty messed up globally. I wouldn't contribute to it just to fulfill pride.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Agree with everything but this. I mean c'mon man, the family unit is already pretty messed up globally. I wouldn't contribute to it just to fulfill pride.
What does the family unit have to do with the girls you dated in high school lol?

And people saying that dating a lot of girls is all about pride and ego don't understand basic instincts or the social dynamics of young people.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
and when those cheerleaders never get married by a guy like me, you will be there waiting with open arms at 32 to start a family.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Dude I was just like you in high school and let me tell you.

I was saying "OH yea this entrepreneurship thing is what I'm doing f**k high school".. and it is..

But in high school, simultaneously I was fking around on my phone all day with no path while regurgitating information from the internet (which was all TRUE!). But.. throwing a shopify dropshipping store up there and buying $100 of facebook ads is not gonna cut it.

Entrepreneurship (as I've seen it so far) has a frick ton of moving parts and learning curves.

If you haven't started yet, I promise you you're going to make so many freaking mistakes and go down so many wrong holes that looked right, it's unbelievable.

That dude on the internet saying things like "money likes speed" are the types of people that are influencing people our age.

So therefore they start thinking "yea money likes speed money likes speed!!" So I'm going to drop out and watch Andrew Tate shorts all day!!

But you don't see the boring sh*t. Like sending hundreds of cold e-mails trying to get your first clients and constantly needing to iterate while also having no idea what the hell to do or if what you're doing will work. Spending 8 hours a day building funnels and then needing to fulfill at night before you have enough resources or knowledge to bring on a team.. it's crazy stuff man

They make your dopamine go through the roof with excitement but when you finally find out the backend of what entrepreneurship really means, like REALLY means.. it's a moment where you need to accept something..

Whoa.. this could be a really long, tedious, boring at times, and frustrating process if I decide to dedicate my life to it and make it work.

From what I can tell on my journey so far, it certainly doesn't seem to be for the faint of heart and takes a certain type of grit when nobody is looking at you to make things happen even when nobody cares.

THAT BEING SAID

When you make a habit of loving the work and change your habits so that doing anything that wastes time is painful and working is moving away from pain, it becomes extremely fulfilling and fun and you'll be able to work all day and have fun in the process.

Last edited:

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
What does the family unit have to do with the girls you dated in high school lol?

And people saying that dating a lot of girls is all about pride and ego don't understand basic instincts or the social dynamics of young people.
The dating part doesn't matter, indeed. But he used the word "hook up" which I assume involves sexual intimacy. Hookup culture is extremely destructive of the female soul, which is why I hope people don't contribute to it. The symptoms aren't obvious, it's difficult to explain.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
and when those cheerleaders never get married by a guy like me, you will be there waiting with open arms at 32 to start a family.
No, I wouldn't because I shouldn't. I know it's my job as a male to make the first moves. But even if after all my efforts I still couldn't get a wife, then that means God just doesn't want me to have a family, and I'm completely OK with that.

Maybe if you instead say "I should have dropped my one girlfriend and go after that one cheerleader I liked" that would be a lot better.

Hadrian9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Nov 22, 2022
No, I wouldn't because I shouldn't. I know it's my job as a male to make the first moves. But even if after all my efforts I still couldn't get a wife, then that means God just doesn't want me to have a family, and I'm completely OK with that.

Maybe if you instead say "I should have dropped my one girlfriend and go after that one cheerleader I liked" that would be a lot better.
Even if sleeping around is bad long term, if you never get it out of your system how can you stay committed? That’s why so many guys and girls cheat when they never go through that phase. Best to experience a huge variety of relationships and people so you know what to look for

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
Even if sleeping around is bad long term, if you never get it out of your system how can you stay committed? That’s why so many guys and girls cheat when they never go through that phase. Best to experience a huge variety of relationships and people so you know what to look for
This is starting to get out of topic but

That's literally the whole point of marriage, don't you get it?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
It doesn’t require but it helps you enormously to at least finish school.

You need money for business for most people it comes from work.

If you didn’t even finish high school you will be judged as incompetent or lazy or problem kid by the employer and that will put a cap on the income that you can earn.

When you ask people to invest in your business in the future you will be judged as well. Why invest in someone who didn’t finish high school? Why not invest in a straight A student? Is this guy a drug addict or something?

By not even finishing high school you are creating unnecessary hard mode for your long term game.

The better college you go to the more valuable people you meet. There are entrepreneurship clubs and resources offered by every school. By going to a good school you meet good co-founder, get to know rich alumni working in VC looking to invest in their juniors.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hookup culture is extremely destructive of the female soul, which is why I hope people don't contribute to it. The symptoms aren't obvious, it's difficult to explain.
I think the cause-effect is the other way around, it is the bad mental situation of the girl that results in her in pursuing hook-up. Depression, Bipolar, or simply attention-seeking boy crazy.

Hook-up as it is portrayed in the mainstream media is a scam perpetuated to milk men paying for previous bars and nowadays apps. Selling shovels to dig "gold".

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
I think the cause-effect is the other way around, it is the bad mental situation of the girl that results in her in pursuing hook-up. Depression, Bipolar, or simply attention-seeking boy crazy.
It's a positive feedback.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.