The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropped out to sail the world - Realized my Mission is To Build Wealth!

take-action

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 23, 2023
Hi Fastlaners - I'm here to learn more about building a wealth process and meet no-BS people who want to make something of this short life.

Slowlane background: retention marketing for eCom stores, client acquisition for marketing agencies, CPG marketing. Happy to contribute on any of those 3 topics where appropriate.

The world of sailing has at least one parallel to that of entrepreneurship:

Lots of people talk about it; few really do it

Well in sailing I'm a doer, but in entrepreneurship... not so much.

After a pandemic put our failing start-up out of its misery, I took a long hard look at my overpriced apartment and all the other trappings of "success" I had acquired in my mid-20s and decided that I had really and truly lost the plot.

My answer, for better or worse, was to get as far away as possible from the big city influences that had captured my heart (and wallet). I found a sailboat from the 70s that I felt confident I could whip into working shape and use to cruise around the Caribbean. The idea was to get closer to nature and figure out what it is I truly wanted from this life.

Folks, I'm not here to tell you this is a wise decision. It's not for the faint of heart. And for every YouTuber you see cruising the high seas I promise you there are three times as many crying their eyes out in a boatyard in Guadeloupe wondering how their only asset went up in an electrical fire overnight (or some equivalent misadventure in DIY)

But it worked for me. And now as my sailing sabbatical comes to a close, having bucked the system once, I am returning to society not to enter the Slowlane, but hell bent on heading straight for the Fastlane to make up for the precious time I've lost.

So here's my deal:

My goal is to become moderately wealthy. To me that means:
- 7-fig net worth with a workload that eventually settles at less than a 20 hour work week
- Live modestly but never think twice about spending on life-enriching experiences (restaurants, vacations, etc.)
- Be useful to many people and a valued part of a valuable community
- Being a hub of support for the people around you
- Being able to vote with your dollar for more of what you want to see in the world

What am I willing to give up to achieve this
- Consuming media (Video games, TV, Social Media, etc.)
- Non-essential socialization
- Killing time
- The sailing life
- Living above or even at my means
- Other hobbies
- Self-pity
- Excuses
- Anonymity
- The comfort of shying away from things that scare me (social events, cold calling, failure, being wrong, being thought of as a dupe)

What am I not willing to give up to achieve this
- I am not willing to lose the ability to financially support my family - I must work two jobs until the wealth vehicle can sustain my family
- I am not willing to stop learning French (essential for future family)
- I am not willing to give up physical health
- I am not willing to give up my marriage
- I am not willing to give up cooking with my wife
- I am not willing to give up my mental health
- I am not willing to give up my ethics or morals
- I am not willing to give up my grace or strength - no matter how tough the road I will always remember that it is taken voluntarily and I will never burden my partners with requests for pity

How long am I willing to work to achieve this?
- 10 years but realistically I will need to show signs of being on the right path 5 years in otherwise there will be friction within the household

What beliefs do I need to change in order to get where I need to go
- If I want something, someone else will give it me, I just have to wait long enough (Christmas gifts, Birthday gifts)
- Being an entrepreneur means abandoning your family
- I am not good enough to do this

What do I need to start doing in order to get where I need to go
- Which means I need to be regularly building wealth experiments with asymmetrical upside to them
- Which means I need to learn to speed up the time from ideation to execution and testing

If you've reached this far I thank you for your interest and attention and I would like to ask you two questions:

1) Which of my assumptions have I got all wrong?
2) What's your daily practice for sharpening your wealth process

Fair seas and following winds

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

take-action

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 23, 2023
Let me guess, a Catalina? :p
Good guess but no - the model is a bit rarer but she's a pedigree boat with the typical old boat problems. Nothing a bit of fiberglass and googling (read: changing the oil) can't fix.

I'm guessing you are based on the US west coast? Catalinas are pretty common out there but I never see them in the southern Caribbean.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
Did this go anywhere?

Please SEARCH before posting.