The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Drop-shipping is a waste of time

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane
A

Anon101637

E-commerce (more specifically drop shipping) fails multiple CENTS concepts.

CONTROL - Limited number of platforms to advertise on and can get banned on things like facebook
ENTRY - Very low (<$2000) and relatively easy
NEED - Very saturated market

The only way to have any kind of measurable success in this space would be to figure out some new niche. But seems like a waste of time to me. Any thoughts?
Also the ecommerce platform like Shopify can close your store if they think that you ruined their terms and conditions so you better code your website by yourself to have more control over your store or your business in general. That's why I decided to code my website myself and I don't regret a single bit my decisions

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
Also the ecommerce platform like Shopify can close your store if they think that you ruined their terms and conditions so you better code your website by yourself to have more control over your store or your business in general. That's why I decided to code my website myself and I don't regret a single bit my decisions
That's an interesting take on it. I've been with Shopify for over 5 years with no complaints. Their T & C are not onerous. As long as you're not trying to scam your customers, there shouldn't be any problem.

It's not really the platform itself that people sometimes have trouble with, it's Shopify Payments. Like any payment processor, if you get too many chargebacks or there's some evidence of fraud, they can disable your ability to use it. But, you can still use other processors like PayPal.

Coding your own website does give you more control, but if you're selling something, you still have to use a payment processor and abide by their terms. With plenty of themes to choose from, thousands of apps that integrate with your store and help available 24/7, I would be crazy to deal with the headaches of coding and maintaining my own stand-alone website. Running the business is enough work in and of itself.

A

Anon101637

That's an interesting take on it. I've been with Shopify for over 5 years with no complaints. Their T & C are not onerous. As long as you're not trying to scam your customers, there shouldn't be any problem.

It's not really the platform itself that people sometimes have trouble with, it's Shopify Payments. Like any payment processor, if you get too many chargebacks or there's some evidence of fraud, they can disable your ability to use it. But, you can still use other processors like PayPal.

Coding your own website does give you more control, but if you're selling something, you still have to use a payment processor and abide by their terms. With plenty of themes to choose from, thousands of apps that integrate with your store and help available 24/7, I would be crazy to deal with the headaches of coding and maintaining my own stand-alone website. Running the business is enough work in and of itself.
Yeah I code website so after I would know how I could build my own CMS and sell the shovels when others are building their online stores I do what people don't and the payment system is also built with programming language. Shopify is worth billions so if I code a better CMS than Shopify I'm 100 % sure to become millionaire and multi-millionaire

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand

Yogi_Fastlane

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 3, 2022
Haven't done dropshipping ever but did some research on it.
My 2 CENTS on This failing dropshipping failing CENTS.

Dropshipping is a distribution system in a business model, the product/service and it's positioning is key IMO.

If you sell shite at an unfriendly price and is available next door to your potential customers, it doesn't matter how you sell it, YOU won't sell.

If someone fetches me Original Cashmere shawls or a Pure leather jacket at $150, it doesn't matter where he's supplying from, the goods will be off the shelves and there will be a waiting period.

Or

If a product is endorsed and assured by a topof the line celebrity such as CR7, selling soccer boots or LeBron selling Basketball boots, sure enough the products will have a long waiting period and many of the editions may get sold in the blackmarket, I know a couple of websites, selling such shoes and there is a bidding war.

If you create value, you sell, sure the Chinese have become smarter, dropshipping is offloading operations, the Chinese sell the goods themselves in the open market nowadays, their brand has improved over the years, that clever need making millions sitting at home like the stories in the gossip websites is over.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I've had success with dropshipping. I've seen others have success with dropshipping.

Look at dropshipping as this: A way to quickly test ideas, and quickly receive market feedback. If your dropshipping product is working, then scale. Scale doesn't mean just spend more on ads. It means Modifying the product, Innovate on it. Bring shipping in house, or to a US fulfillment center. Create complimentary products. Find other problems to solve in that industry.

The problem with most people who dropship, Is they think its about finding a product, hopefully it goes viral, crank the ad spend, get every last dollar out of that product, Repeat with a new product in a new industry.

Imagine if you get a half decent product that sells 3000 units. That's 3000 emails you collected, and hopefully 3000 happy customers. Use that email list to test new projects, and new ideas. IMO the hardest part is creating an audience, if you have an audience of happy customers who trust you and your brand, You can sell them things.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
Like 99% of things in life, it's not a black or white answer.

The real answer to this question is actually asking another question: what's the reason one would start a dropshipping business?

Is it because they're hoping to making big $$$ with their laptop while drinking a cocktail on the beach in the next couple months?
Or is it because they found a particular need or problem that can be solved by using dropshipping as a tool to provide value?
Dropshipping in itself has no business meaning. It's a tool, a method of conducting business.
Usually, "I want to start a dropshipping business" sounds a lot like "I want to make money fast without too much hassle."
On the other hand, "I want to cater to a particular need, and dropshipping could be a way to do it" can be a viable business idea. Even if it violates some commandments, it does not mean it can't be a good business.
You have a really good point there. Most Dropshipping promotions involve showing off how much money the dropshipper makes. One thing my business teachers would say would be that "businesses are made to make profit" and that's not wrong but I think it should be "businesses are made to make profit in exchange for providing to a need" which its a lot longer but the truth. When a business has a goal and purpose more than just to make money it can exceed far more because it isn't as shallow as just wanting to make money, but to help and give aid to someone willing to pay for a product that solves a need. That is probably the largest misconception that misguides young Entrepreneurs. If you make a business just for profit you aren't financially free you're still a slave to money and working for it. Don't get me wrong, as you said Dropshipping can still be used to provide place utility in the essence that your ecommerce store is an outlet to purchase a product that can aid in solving a problem. Take Away: It has to have meaning and purpose. For you and for the customer.

PPC Coach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 12, 2011
I did it for a while. The biggest issues were:

1.) Copycats, they're BRUTAL with dropshipping. Everyone just copies everyone else and unless you're first to market OR have your white labelled product, you won't do much with it.

2.) Shipping times are BRUTAL, (if you're shipping from China). Usually it's about 4 to 8 weeks from the order to the delivery. Then when the customer gets it, it's got a chinese label on it and Americans do NOT like that.

3.) You'll lose your ad account. Due to the LONG shipping times for products, Facebook does not like this model. It pisses off customers. Facebook doesn't like pissed off users so they ban you.

I switched to print on demand with US suppliers and it's far better. People can get the product within 3 to 5 days AND that makes them happy.

Plus with print on demand you do not have to buy any inventory up front which is a huge benefit.

There's a lot of apps that will connect to a Shopify store to fulfill your sales AND there are even platforms where you don't need a store and the platform does it all, (Creates the sales page, takes the order, prints it, ships it, updates the customer and handles all customer service.)

It's just a better way.

Jadus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 21, 2020
Thailand
I did it for a while. The biggest issues were:

1.) Copycats, they're BRUTAL with dropshipping. Everyone just copies everyone else and unless you're first to market OR have your white labelled product, you won't do much with it.

2.) Shipping times are BRUTAL, (if you're shipping from China). Usually it's about 4 to 8 weeks from the order to the delivery. Then when the customer gets it, it's got a chinese label on it and Americans do NOT like that.

3.) You'll lose your ad account. Due to the LONG shipping times for products, Facebook does not like this model. It pisses off customers. Facebook doesn't like pissed off users so they ban you.

I switched to print on demand with US suppliers and it's far better. People can get the product within 3 to 5 days AND that makes them happy.

Plus with print on demand you do not have to buy any inventory up front which is a huge benefit.

There's a lot of apps that will connect to a Shopify store to fulfill your sales AND there are even platforms where you don't need a store and the platform does it all, (Creates the sales page, takes the order, prints it, ships it, updates the customer and handles all customer service.)

It's just a better way.
What you're talking about here is drop shipping from China. That's not the way to do it. Find suppliers in the USA (or whichever country you're selling in) to shorten the fulfillment time and keep customers and advertising partners happy. (I wouldn't advertise on FB though. Google product ads are best.)

I have competitors, as you always will, but as far as I know, no one has tried to copy my store. There are always ways to differentiate yourself.

Print on demand is a viable alternative but has its limitations and I think you'll have plenty of competition in that space as well.

MagicMoney

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 8, 2023

CONTROL - Limited number of platforms to advertise on and can get banned on things like facebook

The only way to have any kind of measurable success in this space would be to figure out some new niche. But seems like a waste of time to me. Any thoughts?
eh, dropshipping is an active business. the words around it keep pushing the narrative of being saturated blah blah garbage from those who never had any done it. how could online selling be a waste of time? wtf.. just sit on your computer and play dota 2 let me make the money

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023

Bro there are millionaires here who got rich through ecom.

Dropshipping isnt a business model, it is a fulfillment model.

Here are some threads to change your mind

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.