The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Driving traffic to a website--not a niche

Marketing, social media, advertising

Tarheelfan2009

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 15, 2012
Recently I have been working on the structuring of my website service and simultaneously crash coursing through basic ebiz. The site I am building will simply allow users to experience shopping in an innovative way and I am hoping to be able to attract non-shoppers along with people who simply hate the act of shopping. My primary means of monetizing the site initially will be a variety of affiliate programs and eventually with enough traffic I will incorporate Adsense etc... I am confident that my site will succeed with enough exposure and that there is a great enough need for my website's service, but I have also realized it doesn't matter how great the service is if nobody sees it.

I know the NO-NO of "chasing too many rabbits" and that I "need to find a niche", but again I am not trying to generate an income from a niche, but rather the need of my service and it's ability to create better sales conversions versus a traditional online store. The debacle I face is that I need a decent amount of traffic to be profitable and grow, yet I can't utilize SEO that well because I won't be offering "niche-only" products. Also, using a Facebook or Google ad campaign doesn't seem like it would profitable enough to be sustainable at a 5% commission rate that I would average on my sales. So what I guess I am left with is a viral or exposure campaign? Or am I missing something in the SEO and Google Ad world?

I believe my website service would appeal to Lifehackers and Productivity minded users. And I also believe it is viral-able, but probably not as much so in my website's feature-limited "version 1.0". I want to do some launch tests in a few weeks and just looking at where and how I should invest in driving traffic to my site? Thanks for any and all advice!:smxB:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
As they say on the Shark Tank.

Yea yea all I need is for people to know about my company.

Well that is the problem with just about every company the same as it is with yours. So you have decided NOT to do a niche business which almost everyone here says you should, and now you want to know how to get people to your site. Hmmmmm probably best to think about that from the beginning of thinking about your business rather than now.

Another note you say if people know about your site you KNOW they will use it because it is a better way of shopping.

Better than Amazon?

Tarheelfan2009

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 15, 2012
As they say on the Shark Tank.

Yea yea all I need is for people to know about my company.

Well that is the problem with just about every company the same as it is with yours. So you have decided NOT to do a niche business which almost everyone here says you should, and now you want to know how to get people to your site. Hmmmmm probably best to think about that from the beginning of thinking about your business rather than now.

Another note you say if people know about your site you KNOW they will use it because it is a better way of shopping.

Better than Amazon?

I didn't mean to come off as arrogant or that I had a juggernaut business system that was going to outperform Amazon. If anything, what I am trying to design will benefit Amazon (in a small way). And I didn't say I KNOW people will use my website.. I said I was confident they would (if I wasn't confident then I would be wasting my time). What I mean is that I think I have an idea worthy of a certain amount of personal capital investment and just asking for opinions on how I should use it to advertise and do a build launch (Lean Investment Strategy). I apologize for any arrogance that was detected in that last post...just trying to do my first website launch and first test
to see if it is worth pursuing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.