The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Door to Door sales

DustinS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Aug 11, 2007
So I've been thinking about this pretty much since I read Cantwait2's story. He sold vacuums door to door as I'm sure many of you know. Now my question is why are vacuums the only thing being peddled door to door? I know it’s certainly not the most illustrious business, but what I'm wondering is what if you could get a hold of say some cheap 32" HDTVs and mark them up 300-500$ then hire on several college age go getters who think they can sell anything and have them go door to door with a little pamphlet with all the TV's specs and everything. You could pay them purely on commissions so you would have virtually no expenses other then the initial product purchase.

I'm sure there's quite a bit I'm not thinking about, but it just seems like it could be some extra income!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TNT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 31, 2007
You better figure out what your pitch is going to be. How do you differ your product from what they can get at walmart or best buy. Why you? why this tv? is it special? if so how? with the vacumes they have a good pitch and a great product. It can be very much differenchiated from others.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I would think that several factors in door-to-door sales would be:
1. portability of the product
2. demonstration of the product

If you could do that with other products- sure why not go door-to-door? Makeup, jewelry, tupperware, wrapping paper, all that stuff cycles around my neighborhood all the time!

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
You better figure out what your pitch is going to be. How do you differ your product from what they can get at walmart or best buy. Why you? why this tv? is it special? if so how? with the vacumes they have a good pitch and a great product. It can be very much differenchiated from others.

What he'd be offering, TNT, is convenience.
People are darn lazy and will pay for it.
Combine that with the "get it now" factor and you'll get sales.

I think the beauty of the vacuum cleaner salesman
is that the person can touch and feel the vacuum.
Once they use it, hold it, it becomes THEIR vacuum.
Then they get anxious when you take it away.

I don't know if you would get the same high conversion from prospects to buyers with a pamphlet

I keep saying that if I fall short of my book sale targets,
I'm going door to door to make up the difference.

TNT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 31, 2007
I do want to say one thing about "Door to Door" sales. It is the school of hard knocks for sales. You really can learn a lot. I spent 4 years doing it and training people. If you want a true education in sales that is it. I truely believe if you can do "Door to Door" sales that you can sale anything.

Talmadge

DustinS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Aug 11, 2007
My biggest problem at the moment would be finding a supplier for whatever item I decide would be a good candidate for door to door at a good price. One item I was thinking of though is laptops. You can show them videos on it, they can feel it and see how cool it looks. You can explain how awesome it is to have well traveling and I could even get the Blackberry add on (the name escapes me) where you can use your Blackberry to get on the internet anywhere! I'd still need to work on my sales pitch and everything, but I'm sure I could find a few impulse buyers a week if not more.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
My biggest problem at the moment would be finding a supplier for whatever item I decide would be a good candidate for door to door at a good price. One item I was thinking of though is laptops. You can show them videos on it, they can feel it and see how cool it looks. You can explain how awesome it is to have well traveling and I could even get the Blackberry add on (the name escapes me) where you can use your Blackberry to get on the internet anywhere! I'd still need to work on my sales pitch and everything, but I'm sure I could find a few impulse buyers a week if not more.
I like this idea a lot, actually. Perhaps you could turn this into some sort of MLM business? You create the pamphlets, demonstrations, and handle all of the marketing of the product and then sell your ideas and the rights to sell these products to young salespeople. They can earn commission from their sales, earn you some money, and bring in more "employees" for your MLM business. Of course, you'd have to decide on a product, or line of products, to sell first. I like the idea of laptops or LCD (flat-panel) TVs though because they really exemplify portability.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.