The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Don't Wait For Your Tax Return

Anything related to matters of the mind

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't make a lot of posts but something is really bothering me this morning.

I work very part-time as a Test Proctor and have a co-worker in his 40's who is also a good friend. We work together one evening a week and almost always end up chatting about Fastlane ideas and implementation. He hasn't read the book, but sees the potential. We'll chat for several hours and I always show him what kind of progress I've made or what I bought for $2.00 this week that resold for $100 on Ebay etc. Then he goes into his ideas, some of which are Slowlane, but others that actually have money making potential. Lastly we ALWAYS talk about how most people don't get where they want because they never get started. At this point the conversation become motivationally charged and I can tell my friend is really excited! Before leaving I ask "What actions have you taken toward this goal since last week?" This where my friend slaps me in the face.

"Well I've got to pay this and that and don't really have any extra money right now. BUT I've got big plans for my tax return. That's right when my tax return comes I'll have everything planned out and can start taking big action! That will give me time to make sure everything is just right and that my plan is perfect."

What? WHAT???!?!?! WTF do you mean you're waiting for your tax return... WTF do you mean you don't have any extra money... We JUST spent HOURS discussing bootstrapping, taking action, and making money from nothing. We just spent hours talking about other people not reaching their goals because they never do anything, and now you're telling me your plan is to wait another FIVE months for a tax return? Are you out of your mind?!?! In 5 months you could have failed 5 times and be well on your way to breaking free............

But my friend won't listen. He only likes the idea of having a great life.

Tax returns are an event in disguise, and if you're waiting for your tax return you're wasting your time. It will come and go just like it does every year. Spent on unexpected bills, events, parties, and whatever else life throws at you. If you can't find ways to take action RIGHT NOW... If you can't find ways to MAKE IT HAPPEN then you definitely won't do it when the money is dropped in your lap.

I don't know if what I'm working on will take me all the way, but I know one thing for sure... In five months I'll be a hell of a lot closer to my goals than my friend who hasn't even started. I hope my friend does great things, but suspect that won't be the case. As the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

Don't wait on your tax return.
Don't wait on the lottery.
Don't wait on events.
Do Something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I totally feel you on this. You have the passion and gusto - and you see it in your friends to do something big and amazing, but they're constructing excuses for themselves regarding their success - and doing what it takes to make it happen. I've totally seen it - and experienced it. In fact, I was one of those people.

I'm all for taking action NOW when possible because paying every debt back does not make you rich. Waiting on something that's not here - IN YOUR HAND NOW - does not make you rich. Hell, future potential does nothing for you if it's just potential and is completely unrealized.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What's frustrating is that we experience failure regardless of our choices. If you take action there is failure, and inaction is a failure in itself. Either way there's a lesson. Unfortunately the lesson from inaction is that you wasted a bunch of time and still have to go through the failure action brings before reaching success.

It stings a little knowing those close to you could be great, but will probably never try.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Related: I find it hilarious that people love the idea of using debt to buy Christmas presents, new tv's, new gaming systems, beer, smokes, the latest and greatest phones, and a ton of other stuff but they talk about "risk" and "lack of money" the moment you tell them an idea they can start for peanuts by comparison.

Not that I necessarily advocate jumping into debt if you can help it but using debt to finance a money-making endeavor or risk has to be the most ideal situation for when debt SHOULD be used.

If you drop $1,000 onto your credit card on venture that fails all it is going to cost you is the minimum monthly payment of like $20 (or whatever) plus interest (call it a failure fee).

Upside: Education Guaranteed. Possible Success.
Downside: Easy-to-Swallow Monthly Repayments For Your Education.

Or you could buy another 24 pack of beer, a couple pizzas, buy the latest Call of Duty and talk about how you don't have the money to start anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.