The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Domain Speculating an Intelligent Risk? (As part of a money system)

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Dignium

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Oct 6, 2017
San Jose, CA Bigg Biz Cluster of Software Fastlane
Overlooked Money System idea, is buying cheap to carry domain names an intelligent risk?

And by Intelligent, you have a strategy like: You buy & hold domain names that aren't taken - a few four/five letter dotcoms, some .coms with african words & south asian words for common things (you anticipate the rise of the african & india/pakastani middle class), domains for international events 3-4 decades into the future (e.g. 2052olympics.com), and some 3 syllable words for coming megatrends (like looptickets.com or NotByAI.com).

Buy them cheap, hold them cheap. It should only take one four-figure deal to cover a decades worth of carrying costs of your domain names. One five-figure deal to make profit and get all your seed money back, and payback the initial time investment, even 10 years down the road. Close a six- or seven figure domain sale and you've hit a jackpot (six and seven figure domain sales today are once in a blue moon).

Scale this to carry thousands of domains for the same cost as holding 100 of them through a name server (run your own hosting server?).

Long-game Domain Flipping, what fake gurus preach as a get rich easy scheme to sidewalkers could be an intelligent risk component of your fastlane money system, provided the long EV is lucrative.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I used to do domain parking, at a peak of 500 domain names at one point. A lot of it is hit-and-miss. You don't really know what will take off and make revenue and what will not (even if it seems like a slam dunk). I only had about 20 money makers from the whole thing, which I kept and let everything else expire. Big brands will try to sue you too. The obvious names are taken, so you need to get creative with it.

Overall, not a great ROI for your time (in my experience).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.