The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does it matter?.com .net .org .biz .co

Rod bolts

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 7, 2015
Gulf Coast
The name I've decided on for my rebranding product has a domain already registered since 1997 but not in use. The .com .net and .org options are already taken. I still have .biz .co and .us options available. Does anyone have any experience in using these alternatives? I'm thinking about securing one of the alternatives at a cheaper price and then try contacting the owner to buy the .com domain. This will protect me from them buying the other domains after I enquire about the .com. I figure this domain will probably be quite expensive and I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. Anyways does it matter and how much of a difference will a .com make? I'll be marketing this product mostly online and also selling through amazon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
563%
Feb 9, 2016
It matters.

Let's face it, no one ever instinctively ends a domain with .biz if they're trying to reach a website. They either end it with .com or use Google instead.

If you do decide to go for a non .com domain, make sure you are at first place in google when searching for your name.

Regional domain names can work if they make sense.

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
I assume worse quality products with .biz etc. Change the domain every so slightly some how to get the .com. It might be hard to find something functional but you'll be glad in the end you got .com and .xyzshitstain

Rod bolts

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 7, 2015
Gulf Coast
Just found a .org available and a "-".com I'm tempted in picking up the - from what I've read the - doesn't affect seo but - are still not natural but better than a .org I think.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I used a .academy because the .com was taken.

Even my friends who make 6-7 figures per year with internet businesses had a hard time grasping what to type in.

So I rebranded to a .com

I use a .org for my personal blog because the .com was taken.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is there a difference between beachfront ocean property or a property inland 14 blocks from the beach?

Rod bolts

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 7, 2015
Gulf Coast
I used a .academy because the .com was taken.

Even my friends who make 6-7 figures per year with internet businesses had a hard time grasping what to type in.

So I rebranded to a .com

I use a .org for my personal blog because the .com was taken.

I think I'll go with the -.Com for my test and beginning stages of my site. Once it takes off I'll aproach the .com owner and see how much they want. No point in spending a couple grand on a domain if my product doesn't gain traction in the market. I feel this will be the best approach and that it's smarter to spend more on marketing than a domain name.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Company names don't mean much but the website tld is very important and avoid using a "-". Just pick another name?

Examples of domain names that make no sense:
Google.com
Yahoo.com
Airbnb.com
Uber.com
Zillow.com
Redfin.com
Zynga.com
Livingsocial.com
Hulu.com
Square.com
Yelp.com
Kayak.com

If people heard these company names before 1995 they would have no idea what they meant.

Rod bolts

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
May 7, 2015
Gulf Coast
@fhs8 The problem I have with just making up another random name for my domain, is it's linked to my rebranded niche specific product I'm going to market. I'll keep trying to twist it around to come up with something that works but I'm purchasing one tonight. I can always change it later and I'm not going to let a - hold my future back.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Just found a .org available and a "-".com I'm tempted in picking up the - from what I've read the - doesn't affect seo but - are still not natural but better than a .org I think.

Gotta be careful with that reasoning, however sound.

SEO today puts more weight on human behavior, as opposed to technical dynamics.

buy-stuff com vs buystuff com

Latter is easier to type so it has the advantage, assuming all else equal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.