The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you need separate assumed name for the website and office

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Hi guys,

Have a question for an LLC business structure.

For sake of this thread say I registered the legal entity as Toms Foods, LLC. Suppose I want to sell pizza under that business as "Toms Pizza" as well as tomspizza.com, Do I need a separate assumed name/DBA for both "Toms Pizza" as well as its website "tomspizza.com", or can I just register Toms Pizza, and use tomspizza.com legally.

Yes, there will be sales transactions conducted at tomspizza.com as well as the office location "Toms Pizza"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How many pizzas have you sold?

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Hi guys,

For sake of this thread say I registered the legal entity as Toms Foods, LLC. Suppose I want to sell pizza under that business as "Toms Pizza" as well as tomspizza.com, Do I need a separate assumed name/DBA for both "Toms Pizza" as well as its website "tomspizza.com", or can I just register Toms Pizza, and use tomspizza.com legally.

Yes, there will be sales transactions conducted at tomspizza.com as well as the office location "Toms Pizza"
Depends really-Mostly on what toppings you think are going to be popular

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
Hi guys,

You only need the second assumed name if you are going to conduct business using that name. If the Company is TomsPizza LLC, and you have the assumed name Tom's Pizza you would just use Tom's Pizza both in store and online. You can do both if you want, because it's really the LLC that's doing business.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The point was .... sell more 'pizzas' and your accountant / lawyer will take care of this stuff. Focus on driving sales. Not wall color. Not forum posts on whether something is legal. Sales.

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
You only need the second assumed name if you are going to conduct business using that name. If the Company is TomsPizza LLC, and you have the assumed name Tom's Pizza you would just use Tom's Pizza both in store and online. You can do both if you want, because it's really the LLC that's doing business.

so you're saying you don't need to file a separate assumed name for the tomspizza.com?

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
so you're saying you don't need to file a separate assumed name for the tomspizza.com?

Not unless you plan to do business as Tomspizza.com You can have the website and still do business on the website, but as Tom's Pizza LLC.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The point was .... sell more 'pizzas' and your accountant / lawyer will take care of this stuff.

Exactly!

It bugs me that accountants and lawyers are considered "too expensive" by so many folks without ever actually checking to see if that's true.

For example - my accountant would likely answer this question over the phone or in person for free unless there was aspects to the question I didn't even realize I didn't know about - which is why I have the accountant in the first place.

Accountants and Lawyers are not optional team members in a serious business. Go hire a couple of good ones and use them.

If it's a serious legal/accounting question you shouldn't be asking a forum. If it's not a serious legal/accounting question than you can largely just take a best guess and get back to making money. If it becomes a serious issue later - you use the damn lawyer and accountant.

Trust me, even if you find the answer to your EXACT question from someone claiming to know what they are talking about - you still need to check it with a professional because almost no legal/accounting question exists in a bubble. Your situation could be different. Other factors may be involved. Maybe your jurisdiction passed a law 6 weeks ago that didn't make the news but has become super important to your question but you didn't know about it because you aren't an accountant.

TL;DR:

Is it important?

- If yes: ask a lawyer/accountant.
- If no: get on with it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.