The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you have a mentor?

psynapse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
May 19, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Hey all,

A common theme I noticed among the ultra-successful is that they seem to have some level of mentorship or life coach. I was wondering if anybody here has a high-level mentor, and how one would go about becoming a mentee to a high-level mentor?

:: psynapse

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I second that. Right now just this board.

Funny, I'd actually be curious to compare a one on one mentorship to this board, as I think a lot of people would be mighty surprised by the results.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
As it just so happens, we have a program going for just that thing!!!

There are three "mentorship" programs available...

Ebay Biz
Trading Options
Online Poker

We are even providing you with the seed money once you "graduate" from the info.

www.fastmentors.com

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
psynapse, are you looking for a mentor? If so, for what area specifically?
ATW just mentioned three great ways (in my opinion) to get started.
But the right mentor for you will not be the right mentor for me if we are in a different financial and/or personal situation.

But yes, I do have people that I consider my mentors in different aspects of my life.

This forum and some of its members are what I consider my virtual Mastermind group and I ask for their advice depending on my needs. Obviously I also try to help others when needed, as I feel good both helping and being helped.

You asked how to becoming a mentee for a high-level mentor, that topic was discussed here probably 7 months ago or so. Do a search for Mentor and you will find information. The thing I do mention every time I see this question is, Are you ready for a high-level mentor?
Again, do a search here and you will find great answers.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

Ebay Biz
Trading Options
Online Poker

We are even providing you with the seed money once you "graduate" from the info.

www.fastmentors.com

Oh cool! I guess I should check that out...must be the changes you were talking about when you meant eliminating the other courses.

Are you guys going to be adding any other categories in the near future?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
We will certainly consider it... Perhaps we should start a poll....

What topics are of interest to people?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Anything web related! Not that an Ebay biz isn't, but all other types of proprietary ebusinesses that do not rely on the control of another company above you in the food chain, like Ebay. Private referral systems, for example!

Direct Mail

Apartments

Commercial Real Estate

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Anything web related! Not that an Ebay biz isn't, but all other types of proprietary ebusinesses that do not rely on the control of another company above you in the food chain, like Ebay. Private referral systems, for example!

Direct Mail

Apartments

Commercial Real Estate
:iagree:

...my sentiments exactly.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I caretake for an ex-CFO of a Fortune 500.
My dad is an entrepreneur.
I work with the ex-president of Zales.
My grandma has 100+ apartments.

I have lots of good influences around me.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
ATW - my plan involves RE, anything along those lines.

On the topic of the thread, I agree with others, I have no particular mentor on this forum. I just have a bunch of quality peers who are very effective on coaching, correcting and encouraging me along my path.

I'm a sucker for peer pressure, I can't change that, but I can change my peers.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Who are the people you spend the most time with? These are your mentors.

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008

Ebay Biz
Trading Options
Online Poker

www.fastmentors.com

where do you play poker at? i play mainly on bodog but sometimes i go to pokerstars.

i dont know if this is a mentor but i read this every day and i challenge myself to be better than him business wise as he like me came from nothing to greatness.

http://lifedev.net/2008/04/what-jay-z-can-teach-you-about-massive-success-and-work-ethic/

psynapse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
May 19, 2008
Los Angeles, California
andviv: yes, I am looking for a mentor in the tech field. And yes, I would consider myself ready for a high-level mentor. After having built a few 7-digit businesses from ground up, I'm wondering what the next step is to build 8-9 digit businesses .. or industries that impact society on a broader scale. Ultimately it's not about the money, but how much the world has changed because I have been in it =)

Will search the forums for more info as per your suggestion.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Interesting.
It would be great if you could tell more about your story as many here would love to hear that (I'm one of those).
I know the owner of the company I work for had great success with a mastermind group as that opened doors for him to get better advice. I don't know if that would work for you but could be a starting point.
I don't think that SCORE would work for you either, but that is the only leads I can pass on.

psynapse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
May 19, 2008
Los Angeles, California
My story in a nutshell, is involvement with eCommerce sites since 1997. Basic model is sourcing a supplier, putting up a webpage, working out a conversion ratio of PPC to sales, then pumping as much money into it as possible until it plateaus (of course, managing logistics, HR, and typical business systems in the mean time). I've been involved with home automation, allergy solutions, and fundraising industries. What I really want to get into is a paradigm-shifting application, such as immersive virtual reality .. if anybody has a tie into this field, let me know! :)

I have checked out SCORE, but a lot of people in there seem really old and outdated. No offense to anybody involved! Just my personal experience.

What I would recommend that's somewhat similar to SCORE, is EO, an org I recently joined. EO (Entrepreneur's Network), is for anybody that has built a $1M+ company: www.eonetwork.org. I would highly recommend this to anybody looking for peer mentorship and accountability. There are some great people in it (Los Angeles chapter, anyway). EO members often have WPO mentors .. but I am still yet to find the right one.

Something I am just starting to learn about are Mastermind groups. I think I started one unwittingly .. www.whitepen.org. My goal was to band together 5 people dedicated to a large goal at the end of one year, and spend one day each year doing something toward achieving it. I often find a lot of days are spent 'grinding', or 'maintaining', rather than stepping forward proactively. So I setup an accountability group of 5 friends to dedicate ourselves to one 'forward step' each day. We then email each other at the end of the week to keep ourselves accountable.

Is anybody here an EO/WPO member?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.