The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do you consider yourself AD(H)D ?

Do you consider yourself AD(H)D?

• Yes

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I was browsing through this forum and I noticed in a thread that many members are either diagnosed or consider themselves AD[H]D. Just wondering what the actual proportion was; results might be interesting. :smxF:

Personally, I think it's a double-edged sword (I'm ADD) but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I would probably have prefered ADHD (more energy) than inattentive ADD, but there are advantages to both (creativity comes to mind). :D

Vote now !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
If whatever I am doing doesn't peak an interest, I lose focus really really quick. And if something else looks more interesting than what I'm doing at the moment, I will jump back and forth between tasks.

I literally have like 20 windows open on my computer most of the time and will jump screen to screen. It's a gift and a curse I guess. I'm not sure if it's really ADD or what.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I literally have like 20 windows open on my computer most of the time and will jump screen to screen. It's a gift and a curse I guess. I'm not sure if it's really ADD or what.

*Looks down* phew only 12 windows open, not as bad as James! :rofl:

Now tabs? Thats another story...

D

DeletedUser394

ADD ADHD OCD.. I'm quite frankly insane, and I'm alright with that ;)

To give you an example, I'm playing 12 poker tables right now, while typing this, and reading about the indian concept of Nirvana, while reading about Albania on the CIA world factbook, and chatting on facebook, while eating a bagel with cream cheese, and petting a cat that is sitting on my lap, and listening to Charlie Sheen on the View that my mother is watching in the other room.

Edit: I'm also reasearching Alexander the Great of Macedon, and the bounty mutineers of the Pitcairn Islands, which is an overseas territory of the UK, with a registered population of 45, making it the smallest dependant territory in the world.

I'm neither lying, nor exaggerating hahahha

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I believe ADHD is Duh Winning! You win over here and you win over there and win to the left and win to the right.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
ADD ADHD OCD.. I'm quite frankly insane, and I'm alright with that ;)

To give you an example, I'm playing 12 poker tables right now, while typing this,

and reading about the indian concept of Nirvana, while reading about Albania on the CIA world factbook, and chatting on facebook, while eating a bagel with cream cheese, and petting a cat that is sitting on my lap, and listening to Charlie Sheen on the View that my mother is watching in the other room.
Edit: I'm also reasearching Alexander the Great of Macedon, and the bounty mutineers of the Pitcairn Islands, which is an overseas territory of the UK, with a registered population of 45, making it the smallest dependant territory in the world.

I'm neither lying, nor exaggerating hahahha
What's next, are you going to tell me your VP$IP while playing 12 tables AND doing all this stuff is > 30% ? :D

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
So funny I was talking with a friend just yesterday about this. He thinks I have ADD and chances are I do. But it seems to work for me.

I get bored really really fast. That's my biggest problem.

Instead of relaxing this weekend I went and worked for a friend all weekend. Only made $500 but it was something new and kept me from getting bored.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
I have ADD. Seems almost every entrepreneur or aspiring entrepreneur has it.

Dr. Ned Hallowell is a great guy to follow on this subject. He did a great interview with Eben Pagan awhile back that is worth a listen.

D

DeletedUser394

What's next, are you going to tell me your VP$IP while playing 12 tables AND doing all this stuff is > 30% ? :D

I'm not using my HUD.. need to buy a quadcore before I can run it.

Today I'm 6ptbb after ~10K hands at 25 NLHE FR :)

Harrington on cash games just showed up in my mailbox!

D'you play?

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Personally I don't think I have either ADD or ADHD. I am definitely not hyper, although I do get very chatty when after I pound my morning coffee into me. I also stay home with kids while I work from my home so sometimes I miss the adult interaction so when I get a chance to talk to another adult I tend to get chatty and enjoy their company.

I am not ADD as I pick up on little details all the time and tend to super focus on everything around me. The subtle movement of my wife's left foot tapping or a spider crawling up the wall. I am always saying "oh did you see that?" and most are like "huh? what?"

I do believe I am a bit OCD. Not the whole scrub the germs from off my body OCD but I tend to check my locked car a couple times. For example I find myself locking my car door and then checking it. Then I check it again, and then I may check my pockets for something and then check the door again.

I tend to obsess on my thoughts and ideas. If I get a thought or an idea in my head I could obsess on it for days. I may even dream about it. I may focus all my energy on one thing for a long period of time trying to perfect that one thing, preventing me from moving forward for example. Don't get me wrong, I am able to function and most wouldn't know but my mind is an intense place man. Tiger blood. Winning!!!

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I am not ADD as I pick up on little details all the time and tend to super focus on everything around me. The subtle movement of my wife's left foot tapping or a spider crawling up the wall. I am always saying "oh did you see that?" and most are like "huh? what?"
This is actually a trait most (if not all) ADDers have :)
Nothing accidentally falls off the table (or even nearby tables) with me because I catch everything that happens to fall.

I also tend to have a difficult time listening to someone if there's a conversation going right behind me because my brain tries to pick up both conversations at once. (This is why my valedictorian career in school was very short-lived - my grades dropped tremendously when I began junior high, because listening in class was a requirement for tests ).

Nicola

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 10, 2011
London, England
I put off answering this one because it pushed one of my buttons!

(/start snit fit)
Would you ask "do you consider yourself diabetes?"

No I don't consider myself a neurological difference - I consider myself a whole person who takes medication to help me with some of the distressing problems caused by this particular neurological difference.

BTW Attention difficulties and hyperactivity are the two most well known symptoms/problems/attributes - but there are more.
(/end snit fit)

The interesting results you are looking for are there!

A significant proportion of entrepreneurs and innovators probably had/have ADHD.

The drawbacks of ADHD make it difficult for people with more severe forms to do well in a "boring, normal" 9-5 job.

The positives make us more likely to succeed as an entrepreneur/innovators.

I hope that told you what you were looking for

A

Anon3587x

I don't think I've met somebody who doesn't have 'adhd' in along time. . . lol

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
I definitely have it but only after I started my business pursuits, before that I had really good focusing ability. I think its a re-wiring of the brain. But Im not complaining, if you channel it, its definitely an advantage I think (un-channeled its perhaps a disaster of no productivity.)

-Ty

AJ.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2010
IMO, ADD/ADHD is "mis-diagnosed" nowadays.
It's like asking someone, Are you human?

It is the normal course of being a human to be focused on various things.
That's why I think it is horrible to medicate children with Ritalin and crap like that.

THEY'RE CHILDREN!
They are SUPPOSED to be climbing up walls!
They are SUPPOSED to be thinking about 7 different things!

I know I like children active and making a fuss... the opposite is one of those kids that "just sits there".
"Oh no... Timmy behaves excellent! He's very calm and quiet."

Well Ms Smith, there's something wrong with Timmy... and something wrong with you.

My 0.02

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, I think most of us don't think we have a 'disorder' (rofl) of any kind. It's just our brain is wired differently. I used to think this was a major problem because the 'ADD' personality doesn't fit the normal world but I realized it's actually like driving a F1 - very difficult to handle, but has the highest racing potential of all.

Medication helps me although I think the education system is seriously destructive even for 'normal' people.
With differently wired persons it's like trying to fit a triangle into a rectangle, you end up destroying part of the triangle and it still doesn't fit perfectly.

Deege

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 12, 2008
I was "diagnosed" with ADHD in like kindergarten or something, turns out I was either done with all my shit in school and had nothing else to do except talk, or I was multitasking.

Either way, if it's not interesting it probably has my minimal amount of attention. I switch between tasks like clockwork. Common for 5 firefox windows with 8 tabs minimum. Like RyanDrake, I must admit I almost always have poker going in the background, up a couple hundred on NL100 this week. 57.50 heads-up SNGs are what I've been playing mostly.

I think minor ADHD is a tool that can be utilized :) Sure things may take a little longer for me, but it's more common for me to finish 5 or 6 things simultaneously then 1 at a time. Who knows. Maybe the doc was wrong, maybe I just like multiasking.

Nicola

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 10, 2011
London, England
IMO, ADD/ADHD is "mis-diagnosed" nowadays.
It's like asking someone, Are you human?

Perhaps it would be a good idea to actually find out about the diagnostic criteria for ADHD - and how it involves a lot more then just climbing walls and multi tasking.

Of course children are supposed to be active, get bored easily and be into lots of different things.

But that isn't ADHD!

Would you say that it is horrible to give a diabetic child insulin? Do you honestly think Ritalin is worse then having to constantly tell a child off for something they just can't help? And why do you call Ritalin "crap"?

PookDo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 5, 2011
Consider myself? No.Actually diagnosed yes.I say that because even though I take meds for it and have for the last few years as well as when I was a kid I am in massive denial about it.I know I function better on meds and suffer big time when I go without out them for even a couple of days I have yet to admit admit to myself on a 100% emotional level that I will be on meds for the rest of my life and there is no cure.Oddly I came across a documentary on PBS recently called. ADD and Loving. It.It opened my eyes a lot to the reality of having this but acceptance of it on my part still have yet to come.With all this being said outside of a trained medical professional I know quite a bit about the subject especially as it relates to adults who suffer from it so if you or anyone who has any questions I will do my best to answer your question. I will tell you this though.Don’t ever let anyone tell you having it is a gift because I can tell you that it's not.What it has done for me though is given me the courage to accept myself as a zebra among horses (thanks Dr House).I admit there are times I wish I was normal but if I was I would probably be willing to accept the sidewalk or slow lane.Having this has helped marks the fastlane my dream and my obsession

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Bump here, feel like ranting. :D

I love Ritalin.

I was diagnosed a few months ago and never really liked Ritalin - just made me more jittery - so I stopped using it. But I just took a dose again and I realized - the reason it didn't work in the past was simply because I was trying to use it as motivation for tasks I didn't want to do - of course it was doomed to fail !

I think ritalin lets me switch between "imaginative inertia" (finding ideas) and "productivity machine" (executing ideas).
I'm making more progress right now than I have in the last 7 days. Feels good to be back on track

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Bump here, feel like ranting. :D

I love Ritalin.

I was diagnosed a few months ago and never really liked Ritalin - just made me more jittery - so I stopped using it. But I just took a dose again and I realized - the reason it didn't work in the past was simply because I was trying to use it as motivation for tasks I didn't want to do - of course it was doomed to fail !

I think ritalin lets me switch between "imaginative inertia" (finding ideas) and "productivity machine" (executing ideas).
I'm making more progress right now than I have in the last 7 days. Feels good to be back on track

I have ADD and am also taking Ritalin. The reason why you feel jittery is because your dosage is wrong for you. You might need to decrease the mg in each tablet. Also, the length of time the drug lasts before it wears off matters too. Are you taking the short release medication? I was initially prescribed the short release medication and I had the same problems with feeling jittery as you did; I would also get headaches. But, then I was switched to the long release version of the drug and not only did the jitters and heaches go away, but I no longer feel tired after the medication wears off like I used to with the short release.

Short release: lasts typically 5 hours so if you take it in the morning you have to take it again around noon.

Long release: lasts about 10 hours so if you take it in the morning it should get you through the afternoon; so you can stay productive throughout the day. Don't take this one in the afternoon or at night because you won't be able to fall asleep.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.