The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do we really need to a million books just to be wealthy?

danwan337

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Sep 23, 2020
India
Every book is written with a purpose. While one book gives you idea, the other might have experience of the author. It's advisable to read and understand as much as you can before you even jump to start your own venture.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
I'd argue The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles is a book you can read once and become wealthy from but it depends on your definition of wealth. Although I guess you have to be open to metaphysics, new age, etc.

It was the only book I read outside of school before I turned 17 and helped me make £££££ as a teen. Not rich by fastlane standards, but not bad for 13-16 y/o — although if I'd stuck to what the book says from 17-23, I think I would be 10x richer.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yeah, if I had to name ONE book to read that can make you wealthy, I wouldn't be able to say. I don't know what that book would be. Would probably have to pick something more universally applicable... maybe Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People (or mine: How to Win Enemies & Influence People :rofl:) - those skills would do you well regardless of what you end up doing in life.

I have yet to find someone who studied business and truly tried to identify what makes for repeatable success. That is one thing I want to do with my life. I haven't found anyone yet. Everyone is very much concerned with how THEY can be successful, and less so with the general principles of success in business. Of course the trite answers of mindset, attitude, and so on will always be the easily available ones. But you have to dig deeper.

It's very hard to say how you can engineer success in any repeatable way. If you look at it successful people come from all sorts of backgrounds. Some are lazy, some are hardworking, some are smart, lthers quite dumb, and so on. It doesn’t seem that success discriminates.
I totally agree. If success was formula, everyone would do it. It's an undefined, rocky, personal path.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Books are great. But if you think they’re a silver bullet, you’re in for some disappointment.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Books are great. But if you think they’re a silver bullet, you’re in for some disappointment.
They can't hold a candle to the experience gained from applying some of those ideas and ideals in those books...

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jul 1, 2018
it's obvious you haven't read my book or else you'd be ballin'. PM me for COUPONCODE50OFF.

not really.

why don't you try and read a book only when you need it?
are you trying to start a tech business? read a book on starting a tech business.
are you trying to use marketing tactics on your business? read a book on marketing.

start with endpoint then read about it. why do you read the news everyday? because you want to know what's going in the world to begin with.

D

Deleted74925

Reading can do a lot besides just give information.

Reading lets us visualize goals.
Vizualization builds self-confidence.
Self-confidence leads to action.
Action leads to wealth.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Axmf9wgWE&ab_channel=djvlad

"90% balls; 10% brains."

Source: a guy who owned 3 jets at the age of 47.

So is reading necessary? I would say no. But getting inspiration from somewhere whether it's by talking to people or watching movies or reading is.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I've found that I prefer reading more newsletters (email or paper) than books.

Newsletters not only have content that is fresher and more unique than books (a monthly or weekly newsletter will update you more fervently than a book updated every few years), but also give you an idea about the writer's thinking and daily activities.

And newsletters ensure your learnings will be bite-sized, so you can apply them throughout the day or week- or even immediately.

That is, if they did the newsletter RIGHT.

For example, Todd Brown's weekly Marketers' Mind Memo.
(I subbed his list to grab a few of his books)

Here's what every weekly issue contains:
-He talks on a new good book he read on business and marketing (which DON'T show up on the NYT or Amazon Bestsellers, yet have great 5-star feedback...which is a good sign that his reading picks aren't overhyped like the Tim Ferris 4-Hr-Workweek)

-He discusses a few key takeaways from his meetings with his marketing team

-He shares some great articles on marketing and business that Google first-page search never shows (because many times, the first-page searches are too fluff and general in order to cater for a wider audience...another good sign)

I know some good gurus prefer to share valuable content on social media or LinkedIn, as opposed to traditional newsletters. But both channels have become cesspools of fakery and lip-service.

A newsletter, delivered by email or paper, at least can shield out most of the crap.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas

Blek

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 15, 2018
Poland
I've found that I prefer reading more newsletters (email or paper) than books.

Newsletters not only have content that is fresher and more unique than books (a monthly or weekly newsletter will update you more fervently than a book updated every few years), but also give you an idea about the writer's thinking and daily activities.

Oh, the freshness!
You just reminded me that I have some outdated books with "old" knowledge that I should be reading - instead of looking for "new".

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Cringe. Imagine stooping down to this level.

You'd be surprised, and it was an inside thing. Definitely agree it's not what everyone wants to read, but if you want to learn basic people skills then it's a must :)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I stick to mainly interviews and biographies of business people. I prefer short and sweet “case studies”.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.