The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do I need a Technical Business Developer?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Andy777E

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 8, 2018
All,

We provide SaaS apps with laser focus in one niche platform and have 2 certified apps on the Product Store.
Without any advertisement, we have about 20 download/requests from corporate clients in 5 months.
Some client names are really big. Apps are free at this moment but we are working for Pro versions.

Challenges I am facing :
1) Some clients request download and after approvals - never download. Even after instructions emails, they don't.
I offered webinars but they still won't join.
2) Clients who downloaded did not report any feedback or data for us to improve.

Since I am also busy with day time Projects also
I am thinking to hire a Technical Business Developer who:
1) Will understand the apps
2) Will call clients or schedule 1-1 sessions to help them
3) Is ideally in US /Technically strong ( he won't have to code though)

Is my approach correct? Besides upwork what are my sources to find someone good?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
can you require that they get on the phone with you prior to an approval? That way, you can ask them a bunch of questions up front. And, if they don't download, you can call them and ask more questions.

Andy777E

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 8, 2018
Yes- I can call them before approving. Would they take it as intrusion :) ?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yes- I can call them before approving. Would they take it as intrusion :) ?
not if you are genuinely interested in them and their needs. People can tell if you genuinely want to help them.

So, call them to make sure your product is the right fit for them. If its not, tell them, or see if there's a way you can help them anyway.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
What is the reason for approval before usage? That would totally turn me off of a product unless it was massive and needed a 1-1 demo first. You need to get them to the eureka moment while they are hot.

JohnForte

Software Engineer Ninja
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 12, 2019
New York
1) Will understand the apps
2) Will call clients or schedule 1-1 sessions to help them
3) Is ideally in US /Technically strong ( he won't have to code though)

This sounds like you may need an account executive person. Someone that can reach out to clients and make sure they are not hitting bottlenecks. Especially in the larger enterprise space, things just fall behind and giving a client in that area a nudge sometimes can be the difference between losing and keeping a client.

The second type of person is either a solutions architect or sales engineer, this is the person that will talk technical shop and make the IT part of the company feel safe. As well as can talk about the underhood features.

Maybe start with a sales engineer but you will probably want both as your company scales.

Andy777E

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 8, 2018
This sounds like you may need an account executive person. Someone that can reach out to clients and make sure they are not hitting bottlenecks. Especially in the larger enterprise space, things just fall behind and giving a client in that area a nudge sometimes can be the difference between losing and keeping a client.

The second type of person is either a solutions architect or sales engineer, this is the person that will talk technical shop and make the IT part of the company feel safe. As well as can talk about the underhood features.

Maybe start with a sales engineer but you will probably want both as your company scales.
Thank you all for your replies! Finally after 5 months of efforts - I am getting more relevant queries.
First email from a Corporate Client requested a Demo and setup. Today we got a separate call from a decision-maker showing interest in our app and capabilities. Technical skills are not an issue, technical experience is not an issue but today's company seems really big. I am excited but at the same time do not want to screw up due to lack of experience in 'sales dealing with corporate clients and sound a very small company'. How do I build trust and ensure they don't walk away thinking that we are too small? Next call/demo will be remote. Any suggestions on how to present ourselves nicely? Appreciate !!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thank you all for your replies! Finally after 5 months of efforts - I am getting more relevant queries.
First email from a Corporate Client requested a Demo and setup. Today we got a separate call from a decision-maker showing interest in our app and capabilities. Technical skills are not an issue, technical experience is not an issue but today's company seems really big. I am excited but at the same time do not want to screw up due to lack of experience in 'sales dealing with corporate clients and sound a very small company'. How do I build trust and ensure they don't walk away thinking that we are too small? Next call/demo will be remote. Any suggestions on how to present ourselves nicely? Appreciate !!
Not sure what your app does, but if a big company is going to rely on it for a portion of their business to function, its going to be a tough sell. Big companies like to hire companies that have some track record for their mission critical applications.

If your app is an add-on that will bring them new business, its an easier sell.

Structure the deal so that you are profitable from a sale to them. Let them see how doing business with you can grow both your companies. You don't have to come out and say that outright, but when they lowball you, you can say, 'I'm pricing this where its at so that I can support you in the long run.'

Andy777E

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 8, 2018
Thank you! Yes- it's an add on for a big niche SaaS Platform. Actually app is free but they indicated they will like to get custom work done for them- which gives us Consulting opportunity in same platform.

Andy777E

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Dec 8, 2018
Not sure what your app does, but if a big company is going to rely on it for a portion of their business to function, its going to be a tough sell. Big companies like to hire companies that have some track record for their mission critical applications.

If your app is an add-on that will bring them new business, its an easier sell.

Structure the deal so that you are profitable from a sale to them. Let them see how doing business with you can grow both your companies. You don't have to come out and say that outright, but when they lowball you, you can say, 'I'm pricing this where its at so that I can support you in the long run.'

Alritght- Update with good progress:

Apps go in Development and then in Test or Prod Environments. We can see if some clients using it in Production after trying in Dev. Means chances of actual usage. I see 2 big Clients (Fortune 100 and Fortune 500) companies and couple more smaller companies using it in Prod.
App is free for now. We tried to offer Webinar/Training etc but not luck - Did not not try hard- May be just 1-2 times.

My questions are:
How do I engage them to get feedback/to improve? It's very hard for people to take action?
Do I just email them? Ask for Survey? Review the App? Provide some incentives for feedback?
If any incentives how much the amount should be? How do I finally monetize it?

Appreciate ideas!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.