The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Idea threads

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Recently I came across a strategy called divergent thinking and I'm wondering if this is something that you guys use to come up with ideas for your business? if so, what's your strategy?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Explain more?

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I can certainly see how divergent thinking can be used in this process. Looking at say a spatula, and coming up with alternative purposes for it could lead to some valuable ideas. But as Kevin said above, more detail would be good here.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
I first came across divergent thinking in the book A More Beautiful Question by Warren Berger who writes "What we know about divergent thinking is that it mostly happens in the more creative right hemisphere of the brain; that it taps into imagination and often triggers random association of ideas (which is a primary source of creativity); and that it can be intellectually stimulating and rewarding."
In the book he talks about the neurologist and author Ken Heilman, a leading expert on the brain's creative activity, and the significant neurological study of divergent thinking—the mental process of trying to come up with alternative ideas. Noting, “Since divergent thinking is about saying, ‘Hey, what if I think differently about this?’ it’s actually a form of asking questions.”
I have used this approach, and the above question in wide range of activities, and I find that whilst divergent thinking opens up new possibilities I soon move to convergent thinking to focus more and get to the crux of the matter.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I first came across divergent thinking in the book A More Beautiful Question by Warren Berger who writes "What we know about divergent thinking is that it mostly happens in the more creative right hemisphere of the brain; that it taps into imagination and often triggers random association of ideas (which is a primary source of creativity); and that it can be intellectually stimulating and rewarding."
In the book he talks about the neurologist and author Ken Heilman, a leading expert on the brain's creative activity, and the significant neurological study of divergent thinking—the mental process of trying to come up with alternative ideas. Noting, “Since divergent thinking is about saying, ‘Hey, what if I think differently about this?’ it’s actually a form of asking questions.”
I have used this approach, and the above question in wide range of activities, and I find that whilst divergent thinking opens up new possibilities I soon move to convergent thinking to focus more and get to the crux of the matter.
Thank you for the explanation. Interesting process, I will have to check out the book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.