The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Directionless Millennial Checking In...

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
So grateful for MJ's books (MFL & Unscripted ). They've seriously slapped me in more ways than I'd like to admit. I'll try to make this quick as I'm sure you're all busy entrepreneurs getting sh*t done.

I'm 24 years old and I seriously have such an amazing opportunity at my fingertips but I'm having trouble gaining clarity on which direction I should go in. I have a union job making roughly $50k-60k per year ($3200 or so takehome after taxes). I've been cutting back harshly on expenses because I want to purchase my first real estate investment property and live in one of the units of a du/triplex. My current expenses are at most $1300 per month meaning I have almost $2000 of leftover at the end of the month to invest.

This is why I'm writing this. I wanted to get all of your combined brilliance to see what you did when you were first starting out to gain clarity on what you could start trying. I know I'm not going to have all of the answers out of the gate but I'm drawing blanks as to what I should do to start. I have my YouTube channel which I've been growing for about a year or so (DrScream) but I've realized that I'm not going to make any significant income from that to be able to quit my job any time soon. I've been in a mild depression the last year which led to me slowly starting to make fewer and fewer videos. I chose not to go to college & I'm eternally grateful for that decision because I basically have ZERO debt which allows me to live way below my means and chip away at my character while developing some form of work ethic.

This is all great & all but I really want to try my hand at building up a brand/business in an industry that I truly have an interest in. I've got a decent understanding of what I need to do once I've got a specific niche but I'm lost as far as what niche I should start getting involved in. I really enjoy reading books on self-development, psychology, marketing & business and watching those sorts of videos on YouTube but there really isn't much of a product to sell there unless I write my own book or create a course of some sort (which I'm opposed to unless I've actually done what I'm teaching aka not one of those "gurus" that's out to make a quick buck). I know my heart's calling is to help others but I think the best route is to do it similar to MJ where he helped himself first and then came back and showed the rest of us the ropes.

So I'll turn it over to you guys. What do you do when you're early on in life and clueless as to which direction you want to go? How can you find some places to input your own value and potentially get value vouchers in return? I'm going to reread unscripted as I feel there are many things I missed that are beneficial to gaining clarity but I thought I'd just make this post to use the collective entrepreneurial mind that is this forum. Thank you guys for your time and I hope y'all are killing it!

- Gabriel (DrScream)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Please answer these.
What pisses you off in public situations?
Who do you (or do you even) automatically jump to defend in social gatherings?
Artisan or Administrator?
One-on-one or groups?
Deep convos or chit-chat?
What most recently drove you crazy?
Old ppl or young ppl?
Have you joined any volunteer groups?
What have you failed to do this year?
Which gold thread on here made you think to yourself “I’d love to help that guy for free?”
What are the problems in your career that need to be changed?

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
Please answer these.
What pisses you off in public situations? Ignorant people who choose to dismiss things when they haven't even given the information a chance to fully articulate itself.

Who do you (or do you even) automatically jump to defend in social gatherings? I usually don't jump to defend anyone. People should learn to defend themselves. This is assuming it's all verbal confrontation. Physical confrontation of a less helpless person I'd help.

Artisan or Administrator? Artisan.

One-on-one or groups? One on one. I do better with the deep conversations.
Deep convos or chit-chat? deep

What most recently drove you crazy? I was studying a new personality theory that's in development and was trying to explain to someone the benefits of it in regards to getting to know our more unconscious self and they dismissed it as a horoscope.

Old ppl or young ppl? For what? dating? or just in general. If the former then young. If for actual connection I'd say older people because I'm mature for my age and relate more with the older people having had to grow up quite young (I'm 24 but can't stand most people my age).

Have you joined any volunteer groups? Never have. I've wanted to but had no idea where to start.

What have you failed to do this year? failed and continue to fail my routines but I just restart and get back to doing the routines.

Which gold thread on here made you think to yourself “I’d love to help that guy for free?” A post by @snowbank (37 minutes until I board my plane, and then THIS happened)

What are the problems in your career that need to be changed? I work as customer service so I'd say more than anything it's the toxicity of the employees at work which is a trickle down effect from the toxic managerial positions. If you mean what I'd like to change in my own career direction, I'd say that I want to move towards more marketing related fields rather than just working a customer service job.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome my friend, my advice is always the same: Be lead by the need / value skew you seek to solve the the map illuminates.

Welcome aboard.

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
Welcome my friend, my advice is always the same: Be lead by the need / value skew you seek to solve the the map illuminates.

Welcome aboard.
Thanks man! Excited to be here. Will reread your book to get a better understanding of value skewing. That's when you find where your competitors are failing and filling that void, right?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
We're in a really similar situation. I've recently cut back on expenses as well and we make about the same amount of money, and save about the same too. We're both the same age.

I know I want to serve people and provide value, but the past year I've been a bit directionless too.

I know I can't really answer your question, but there's some one else out there like you too.

As far as your youtube channel, You just have to pick a topic to make content About (Ex. Fitness, Videocgames, Cars), look at what videos are getting the views in that niche, and put your own twist on it.

I made one video that gained me over a thousand subscribers and tens of thousands of views, all because I talked about a hot topic in the niche and I saw what others were doing.

Of course, dont copy. Provide real value. And if you start to get tens or even hundreds of thousands of views, then you can actually re target those people who have viewed your video and advertise your products to them. Since they know you and watch your channel, it's much easier to sell to them than it would be running a cold ad on Facebook or AdWords.

Hope this helps, and I hope you find your direction soon too!

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
We're in a really similar situation. I've recently cut back on expenses as well and we make about the same amount of money, and save about the same too. We're both the same age.

I know I want to serve people and provide value, but the past year I've been a bit directionless too.

I know I can't really answer your question, but there's some one else out there like you too.

As far as your youtube channel, You just have to pick a topic to make content About (Ex. Fitness, Videocgames, Cars), look at what videos are getting the views in that niche, and put your own twist on it.

I made one video that gained me over a thousand subscribers and tens of thousands of views, all because I talked about a hot topic in the niche and I saw what others were doing.

Of course, dont copy. Provide real value. And if you start to get tens or even hundreds of thousands of views, then you can actually re target those people who have viewed your video and advertise your products to them. Since they know you and watch your channel, it's much easier to sell to them than it would be running a cold ad on Facebook or AdWords.

Hope this helps, and I hope you find your direction soon too!
Thanks for the reply, bud! It does comfort me knowing we're all just trying to figure it out. Hope you find some clarity soon too

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That's when you find where your competitors are failing and filling that void, right?

Yes, not necessarily just a void, but just doing something better than they were the consumer perceives it as a value-add.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...