The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Did I design my brand's website well?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
Hi all,

My Brother, Cousin and I have started a Saltwater Fishing Brand in Australia. I am worried that the brands colours I have chosen for the website are not correct but I do overthink things, I just want to get assurance that I have designed it well or I haven't designed it well.

Saltlab (My brand)

I have tried to stand out from any competition as they all seem to use just black and white websites which I find fairly boring to look at. My target audience is young fisho's 18 / 30 yrs.

Some of my competitors:

Competitor 1
Competitor 2
Competitor 3

I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I had issues loading on my phone and got this in GT Metrics, not sure if my connection or not, but my site is coming up on GT just fine and fast. I do like the first competitor link and how has the multiple options laid out to see at once.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220221-020148.png
    Screenshot_20220221-020148.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 3

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Those are some really... really... really... small fish. Got any bigger?

Thapaqazi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 30, 2021
The header is slightly too big, make sure the video and header fit into one screen at a time. Use an SVG of your logo faded or the skeleton shapes you got around the deals(they're dope) at the background.
Focus on user-experience, the photo of someone holding a fish takes too many scrolls to get past. Overall, in my view the part after 'SHOP NOW' seems to annoy rather than makes me feel like keep scrolling. I mean,feels like the designer got bored and wrapped it up.

Hope you find some value. All the best.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 5, 2018
I am not a designer, so take this with a grain of salt.

The design is super wide (there are no side margins) and when I tried to consume the info I felt like this:

23d1f4b28b33fe5d565d950ba3717320.jpg

Other than that I dig the vibes.

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
I am not a designer, so take this with a grain of salt.

The design is super wide (there are no side margins) and when I tried to consume the info I felt like this:

View attachment 42217

Other than that I dig the vibes.
Thanks for the reply man. I changed up a fair bit of stuff hopefully it’s easier for you to read now hahaha

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
When I looked at your website first I thought your shirts were cotton. However when I looked at your competitors websites it dawned on me that these were dry fit fishing shirts made to keep the sun off your skin. Then I came back and looked at your website again and your shirts still look like they were cotton shirts.

Do they have an SPF rating?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The product photos mixed with the site design kind of seem disorienting. The text is in the photos, there's small text below that shows the title and price which is easy to miss.

Is this a theme that you bought? Sometimes they can be restricting in design.

Full width is a little much.

I usually don't stress about the small stuff when you're small and trying to get some sales, there's other much more important things to do like actually driving traffic. But in this case I think you could use a redesign. Pulling together your branding, photos, and a website all into one appealing presentation can be tough.

2 main things

1. Make the site obvious. You sell shirts, and jigs. Incorporate that dichotomy into your design.
Mouth Guard – Lacrosse Mouthguard | SISU Sports Mouthguards breaks up their types of mouthguards right there on the front page, easy to tell the difference with clear photos, and the only text you see is easy to read, very important, and focuses on the benefits, not repeating 5 times that there's a sale on it.

2. Highlight benefits. Why buy these jigs? Why buy these shirts? Are they just merch shirts and have no tangible benefits? Do these jigs do anything special? If there's any value-adding benefits, highlight them. If not, you better be driving a lot of traffic and be building that value on social media. But the best ecommerce companies have some sort of major "value add" that creates a productocracy.

I really like the moving logo on the header, it's cool and I haven't seen that in many places, gives the site some energy.

Tim Wallace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 29, 2020
U.S
1. Reduce the vertical space between the main value proposition (which honestly isn't much of a value prop).

2. Get rid of that marquee moving wave under #keepcasting, except your goal is to evoke the late 90s.

3. The delayed loading of product images might help with site speed, but it could be optimized to load quicker after the user scrolls to it.

4. The repeating text behind the product thumbnails make it hard to see the products.

All the best!

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
The product photos mixed with the site design kind of seem disorienting. The text is in the photos, there's small text below that shows the title and price which is easy to miss.

Is this a theme that you bought? Sometimes they can be restricting in design.

Full width is a little much.

I usually don't stress about the small stuff when you're small and trying to get some sales, there's other much more important things to do like actually driving traffic. But in this case I think you could use a redesign. Pulling together your branding, photos, and a website all into one appealing presentation can be tough.

2 main things

1. Make the site obvious. You sell shirts, and jigs. Incorporate that dichotomy into your design.
Mouth Guard – Lacrosse Mouthguard | SISU Sports Mouthguards breaks up their types of mouthguards right there on the front page, easy to tell the difference with clear photos, and the only text you see is easy to read, very important, and focuses on the benefits, not repeating 5 times that there's a sale on it.

2. Highlight benefits. Why buy these jigs? Why buy these shirts? Are they just merch shirts and have no tangible benefits? Do these jigs do anything special? If there's any value-adding benefits, highlight them. If not, you better be driving a lot of traffic and be building that value on social media. But the best ecommerce companies have some sort of major "value add" that creates a productocracy.

I really like the moving logo on the header, it's cool and I haven't seen that in many places, gives the site some energy.

1. Reduce the vertical space between the main value proposition (which honestly isn't much of a value prop).

2. Get rid of that marquee moving wave under #keepcasting, except your goal is to evoke the late 90s.

3. The delayed loading of product images might help with site speed, but it could be optimized to load quicker after the user scrolls to it.

4. The repeating text behind the product thumbnails make it hard to see the products.

All the best!
Hey again, I took in what you guys said about the website and I completely redesigned it. I think it looks much better now and is a good fit for my target audience. Let me know what you guys think.

Pearso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
May 22, 2019
Now the hard part, getting lots and lots of people in your target audience to see it!
The best part! We are going be making YouTube videos/montages doing trips to some really epic places. Hopefully this can gain us a bit of traction to get going :)

Ed Schimmel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Pearso,

I had a look to get a feel of your website. As you say, tow of your competitors have black themese. Yours is lighter. I like that better as well. On a mobile, there might be a lot of space between the 'New releases' and 'Deadly deals' I have only looked in the DevTools (emulating a mobile).

Another remark: I found the Keepcasting text a bit difficult to read. I have taken the liberty to adjust a bit:

Fishing helps us escape from the daily grind. It's what we do to leave everything behind.

At Saltlab, we realize that we are not alone. We are a community. Here for one another.

That's why we have started #KeepCasting.

[ Read more about #keepcasting]

Cheers,

Ed

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!