The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

development communication skills: How to make a business?

Anything related to matters of the mind

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
I have been working on the idea of a psychological training in some particular of developing communication skills for almost 2 years. Now I have a web site, a detailed training program, a bunch of articles and some promotional materials. I know how to promote it on the Internet through niche resources and find customers. I will be able to find VC funding for this if there is something up and running...

Now I am trying to figure again how to make money on this?

The first approach is to organize online counseling via Skype or Gmail Video Chat..So I need to find someone who can train people using my methods... I was trying to do this with several coaches but it didn't work out.. It was difficult to motivate the trainers and my materials were not fully completed. The trainers were not be interested in spending their time into promotion and marketing.

Also the problem is that there might be some copyright issues with this because what I did I just put together all available information from books and the Internet, added my comments and positioned it as a training course. What should I do with this? Maybe to hire someone to rewrite it all?

Another thing is that I don't have a psychological background, so I was trying to partner up with a counselors during my attempts.. There were several people involved in this but, as I mentioned, we couldn’t make it work.

I don't want to dump this because I feel this idea is on demand and this niche (Personal development and communication skills) is not saturated.

What should I do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I know how to promote it on the Internet through niche resources and find customers. I will be able to find VC funding for this if there is something up and running...

... I'm confused???

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
... I'm confused???

I was trying to organize online counseling... we had a few test sessions and it didn't go further.

Now I am trying to rethink if it's a good strategy? Maybe it's better to create a eBook or some video tutorial and sell it online?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
what stopped it from continuing?

Did you have step two ready when you were doing step one?

I.E. "Hey everyone, I hope you enjoyed the webinar - would anyone be interested in continuing their education? I'm running a more in depth seminar for $49 if you would like to join me." (this is pretty simple but you could also offer your ebook or video tutorial)

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I was trying to organize online counseling... we had a few test sessions and it didn't go further.

Now I am trying to rethink if it's a good strategy? Maybe it's better to create a eBook or some video tutorial and sell it online?

Not sure exactly what your niche is (even though you've described it as personal development and communication skills).

Do you have traffic to your site? Have you built up a database of potential customers (through email capture)?

Also, online counseling might not be the way to position this thing.

I would go for 'a one hour consultation'. Perhaps give half an hour free and try upsell them to a 10 session consultation package ($99 each times 10).

Just a suggestion. Let us know in more detail about what you've been doing so we can give better advice.

-Simon

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Couple quick things:

1.Call it education or coaching, not counseling. Calling it counseling triggers all kinds of laws and regulations and licensing requirements in almost every state. Education/coaching doesn't trigger those types of issues to come into play.

2. Can you market it to health/life coaches or maybe turn it into a health/life coach "certification" program or something like that?

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Couple quick things:

1.Call it education or coaching, not counseling. Calling it counseling triggers all kinds of laws and regulations and licensing requirements in almost every state. Education/coaching doesn't trigger those types of issues to come into play.

2. Can you market it to health/life coaches or maybe turn it into a health/life coach "certification" program or something like that?

Exactly what I was trying to articulate (but not as well as BeingChewsie).

Coaching is much more marketable than counseling. It is also less of a legal hassle.

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
Thank you for your advices.

The biggest problem is that I can't train people myself (I have tech background) and it requires efforts to market it (even though I have plenty of materials). So the people that I was trying to partner with were not interested in promoting it, like forum posting, article marketing, etc.

Simon Ashari

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Feb 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Thank you for your advices.

The biggest problem is that I can't train people myself (I have tech background) and it requires efforts to market it (even though I have plenty of materials). So the people that I was trying to partner with were not interested in promoting it, like forum posting, article marketing, etc.

Yeah if they are working for you (and you are getting the profits) then it isn't their job to market whatever service it is you are offering. That is your job (and yes... it requires effort).

If they were going to market themselves, they would take all the profit themselves.

-Simon

cliqflip

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 21, 2012
Orange County
I have been working on the idea of a psychological training in some particular of developing communication skills for almost 2 years. Now I have a web site, a detailed training program, a bunch of articles and some promotional materials. I know how to promote it on the Internet through niche resources and find customers. I will be able to find VC funding for this if there is something up and running...

The first approach is to organize online counseling via Skype or Gmail Video Chat..So I need to find someone who can train people using my methods... I was trying to do this with several coaches but it didn't work out.. It was difficult to motivate the trainers and my materials were not fully completed. The trainers were not be interested in spending their time into promotion and marketing.

Also the problem is that there might be some copyright issues with this because what I did I just put together all available information from books and the Internet, added my comments and positioned it as a training course. What should I do with this? Maybe to hire someone to rewrite it all?

Another thing is that I don't have a psychological background, so I was trying to partner up with a counselors during my attempts.. There were several people involved in this but, as I mentioned, we couldn’t make it work.

I don't want to dump this because I feel this idea is on demand and this niche (Personal development and communication skills) is not saturated.

What should I do?

First approach: Doesn't seem scalable - VC's won't like that

Also before dumping it or keeping it - make the core idea easy to understand for everyone in one sentance then get feedback from real people - not friends or family, they will probably support you no matter what. See if people see value in it - If they don't it could just be you and lead you on a road that wont be fun

m1522632

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 15, 2011
First approach: Doesn't seem scalable - VC's won't like that

Also before dumping it or keeping it - make the core idea easy to understand for everyone in one sentance then get feedback from real people - not friends or family, they will probably support you no matter what. See if people see value in it - If they don't it could just be you and lead you on a road that wont be fun

Well. I am now realizing that all my marketing materials are not 100% ready and I probably need someone to work with me on it... Here as I said the problem might be with copyright cuz I just put together information from different sources. Interesting, how does it work for Univercity classes. As far as I remember they also put together info for their lectures...

so what would be anoher approach if the first one is not scalable?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.