The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Designing and inventing

newfick

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 12, 2013
looks like a legit product, I can easily see that in Guitar Center selling for a premium.

Best of luck to you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
This seems like it could be a licensing gold mine for you.

Amazing product! As a fellow drummer I know the pains of changing heads or even just setting up a kit. This was one of the reasons I went with a digital kit recently. I agree with Vigilante, and I would push to license this asap. Remo, Roland, Evens, or even freaking guitar center would go nuts over this. When I get a new acoustic kit, you can count me in as a customer.

If you don't mind I will pass your site along to some fellow drummers and (small time) custom drum makers. If you'd rather I wait and not tell anyone just yet let me know. I'll await your response either way.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011

No I havent but I will. If I could get a license agreement, I could work on one of the other ideas I have. Im sure I have at least three more patentable ideas.

What I really would like is a partnership wherin I can license this idea, and work as an R and D for the other items. Once they are worked out, and patented, I license them as well.

And everyone can feel free to show it to any friends you feel might be interested. Its protected now.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Update:

I have been trying to get more quotes, with no success. I have however contacted Ron, my ex-partner who got me the first few heads made in China. We decided to part ways before, on good terms, because he was very busy, and the company he was mediating for couldn't get the quality where I wanted it. We were at about 90%, he even had boxes made for shipping. He was also concerned because I didn't have a patent. I emailed him, and told him I have received the patent, and that I thought we should revisit the idea, and try to cover that last 10%. He said he was out of country for a few days, but he would get in touch when he was Stateside again. Might be a good thing. Might be another dead end. We will see.

I posted this video Quick Change Drum heads - YouTube on you tube, and a link on the website. It is nowhere near a professional video, I know. I am not a very tech savvy person either. Ill work on getting better, when I have time.

I also noticed I tend to write, and talk assuming most people know how a standard percussion drum works. After taking the drum into work, and talking with a few people here and there, most people do not understand all that is going on with this quick change drum head. Ill try and clear that up.

And I noticed the other day, while browsing the forum, I have been ignoring the speed. I never thought about it, really. I guess I should have read the rules, oops. So I have been cheating people out of speed. Sorry. Im not usually one for "like"-ing anything, or giving thumbs up or anything like that. Im mostly a troll, who uses the search feature on websites. I have went 9 years on some forums with only 200 posts. Im not very social. I will work on it.

After I resize some of my pictures, I will post them here, and describe in detail why I think the quick change is so revolutionary.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Im going to try and post some pictures with a description.

First picture is of the quick change on my snare. It does add a little height, around 1", so technically it will change the sound. But it isn't an issue. Just retune it. If you are really anal about the sound, you can order a shorter shell to compensate. pds pictures 001.jpg
Second picture is without the topset on. It shows the keyway, or locks. These will change a little. They aren't long enough, and I am adding a lock recess in the bottom to help keep the head from twisting off. This also shows the slots used to mount the system in place. This allows me to universally bolt it up. Some manufacturers use a different number of lugs, usually between 6 and 16. This will accept them all.
pds pictures 002.jpg
This shot shows the underside of the base ring. It will be mounted in place of the existing head. It will go on any standard shell. This is a 14" model, because that will be the most common. Most snares are 14" I will eventually pick up the other sizes, 6,8,10,12,13,16,and 18. I don't currently see a need to make them for base drums. If the need arises, we will make them.

pds pictures 004.jpg

Things you don't see:

The slots allow me to mount the drum without holes being drilled in the shell. This is HUGE. Everyone I have talked to in the industry says they are "painfully aware" of the problems created by drilling into the shells.
You can also mount other items, such as microphones, and cowbells for example, to the slots.
You can have as many "topsets" as you want. When talking to some studio owners at the NAMM show, they said drummers complain about paying for time in a studio, that is spent tuning for the set. Now the studio can have pretuned heads on a rack. Pick the one you want, spent 5 seconds installing it and go.
The drummer can also bring his heads from his personal studio, or from home and install them. As long as both shells have a base ring and are the same diameter, they will fit.

There are a few other features, but they wont really mean much to the non-drummers. You can go to my website, and see the video if you want. If you see anything I am missing, or have questions, just ask.

Last edited:

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Small update:

I just got off the phone with Ron, the guy who had the first few made, that were a bit low quality. I told him I had the patent now, which was a concern for him. And I told him I was concerned about quality. Here is what we have decided to do for the time being:
He will contact the company that made the first sets, and tell them we need better quality. I will provide new drawings, and work with him/them to make them better. They wont be perfect, but at least they will BE. I hope to switch to die casting or forging in the future. But this allows us to gauge the market, and see if I have missed anything the public thinks it should have.
My goal is to have 10-25 sets for the NAMM show, and maybe the PASIC, with a couple more sets ready to go. Get them out and in the market. Then after awhile, make the move to forging, and start the other sizes. Im a little concerned about quality, and the price. But we will cross those bridges when we get there. At least it appears I am moving forward again.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
Great post. Very motivational. To see your designs ending at a product must be really something. I also understand your concerns about quality for this product. As a web developer most of the time and being aware about usability etc, I would suggest that you put on your top priorities a better video and also move the video at the top of the page. Also, inspired by as seen on tv products, you could show the regular process and then your process. I am not into drum business and music in general but I suspect that this product will be of extreme value at live concerts etc when people have very limited time and want to switch stuff very fast.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
I am aware that my website is lacking, as is the video. The truth is I hate messing with the computer stuff. Ive never been on facebook, or Twitter and I got left behind the technological curve years ago. I have a friend who is interested in getting involved, and he is a lot better at the tech stuff. I have my hands full doing all the engineering and production tasks, checking everything over to make sure its okay. Plus I have to stay current on the industry aspects as well. Im thinking of having him handle the tech parts, after I buy a website builder. This is an area that really frustrates me, and I dont mind handing it over to someone else. Plus he is a drummer as well, so he sort of knows the industry, or at least he speaks the same language.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Update.
I got a few quotes back for the die casting. As expected the initial cost is very high. The lowest quote is around $115,000 for the tooling, and the first 1000 pcs. Which is actually good. Another company wanted almost twice that. The tooling is guaranteed for 100,000 units, so the cost per pc is less than a dollar. And I can sell them for what I need to sell them for, and make a little profit.
Here is the problem:
Now I need about $150k. That covers all the costs I calculated for the first year, and first 1000 pieces. All three trade shows, advertising, travel expenses, everything I could imagine would be needed. The good news is, I feel this is finally it. Either I find a way to get this money, or I am done. No avoiding it, no getting around it. This is the final door. I have figured everything else out, and found a way to get around all the other obstacles. Now I begin looking for investors. This is by far the hardest problem I have ever had to work in my life. I am an idea person, I have dozens of ideas for things; new drum parts and improvements on old designs, and aviation tools. The ideas are easy. The designing is easy. Figuring out how to manufacture it affordably, and then getting the money to make them? Holy crap.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Can you get this design printed with additive manufacturing? basically a metal 3d printer?

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
You can see it at www.pdsdrums.com. Its really simple. I have designs and a few drawings for a different kind of pedal, and cymbal stand. I cant go into detail yet. My goal is to really change the drum industry. We are at a place where the talent is being retarded by the equipment. Im going to try and remove the govener.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
No I havent but I will. If I could get a license agreement, I could work on one of the other ideas I have. Im sure I have at least three more patentable ideas.

What I really would like is a partnership wherin I can license this idea, and work as an R and D for the other items. Once they are worked out, and patented, I license them as well.

And everyone can feel free to show it to any friends you feel might be interested. Its protected now.

Have you given Shark Tank a thought?

I believe Robert is into playing drums and the guitar. He made Chord Buddy a huge success.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
I have thought of shark tank. Several people have mentioned it. I worry about them taking it serious because the market is smaller than they typically see, and I dont have any proof that the idea will be well recieved in the market, as in no orders. A few people have suggested pre orders, but I dont like that idea.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Try one of the many crowdfunding web sites -- search for or ask your friend to help you.
Also, do not worry about the money; it will find a way. By that I do not mean to not try to get the funds, instead I mean to say do not agonize over it like I sense you are agonizing over that missing link. While you are expecting that part of the equation to materialize, follow your heart. Be fearless. Do what you can and just keep moving forward.
On another issue, if you have designer issues again, let me know. I have one of the best designers out there right now.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Thank you. I had considered licensing at one time. And a few people have suggested it lately, so I am revisiting this option. Truthfully, I was not interested in building a manufacturing business. I don't want to go to work every day worrying about keeping up with demand, or finding a way to increase sales. I was only pursuing it, because I felt it was just the way I was going to have to do it.
I would much rather let someone else worry about that stuff. Let me work on my other ideas, and prototyping, and engineering, and designing. I can work the bugs out, and design a good product. I can build a set that would set the world on fire. I have so many new ideas, it almost hurts. Maybe if someone else worries about the manufacturing side, I can work on the designing side. I think a licensing deal would work.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
You have to be a hen.

I understand your plight. I will tell you how I came to understand it. I hope it helps you. It has been working for me and I trust it works for you too.

Right now, I have a list of over 30 ideas, products which will benefit me, the world and those around me -- meaning those I know and those I do not know. One of my greatest struggles has been being monogamous as is written in the fastlane book and so I have suffered dearly for that after stretching myself too thing. I can put out a bad a$$ product as well and that is where my passion lies and at first I was yearning and praying like heck that someone would come along who would take over the launching aspect of me and leave me with time to do what I wanted to do. It has been more than four years now and no such person has come along. But I have changed and you must also change.

Thank you. I had considered licensing at one time. And a few people have suggested it lately, so I am revisiting this option. Truthfully, I was not interested in building a manufacturing business. I don't want to go to work every day worrying about keeping up with demand, or finding a way to increase sales. I was only pursuing it, because I felt it was just the way I was going to have to do it.
I would much rather let someone else worry about that stuff. Let me work on my other ideas, and prototyping, and engineering, and designing. I can work the bugs out, and design a good product. I can build a set that would set the world on fire. I have so many new ideas, it almost hurts. Maybe if someone else worries about the manufacturing side, I can work on the designing side. I think a licensing deal would work.

It only takes one.

That is all you need, one good idea and that will free you up to do all the other things you want to bring to the market. For now, just get a book and note all the ideas as they come along and hold it close to your breast. You will get to do them. But for now just focus on the one thing that the universe has entrusted you with because she knows best. In the process, you will need to change, grow and mature to the level where you can watch over your product like a chicken watches over her eggs until they hatch -- except she is more able to do so with multiple eggs than you can right now and bring them all to maturity at the same time.

That is where you need to be.

That is where the universe is trying to take you, but in the mean time she (the universe) will continue to give you more to do and may not send help until you have learned all you need to do to watch over multiple eggs and bring them all to maturity at the same time. You just have to be wise and not try to do all of them at the same time. If you do you will not learn a lot of things you would have learned if you tried to focus on just one product. And again, I know you want to do all the things you have in mind but resist that urge and focus on one for now. I hope this helps you a little bit.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Thank you. That is a struggle for me. I stay awake at night working through the mechanical properties and designs of the things I want to make. And when I think I have found someone who shares my vision, who wants to help, its a joke. Either they end up being in for whatever profit they think they can get, or they just don't get it.
Either way, Im going to keep on keeping on. Im going to try and pursue a licensing agreement now. And Im learning how to weed through all the BS that gets thrown around as well. there are a lot of "entrepreneurs" who want to tell you "how its supposed to be done". And there is usable content in what they say, sometimes. The trick is finding out what they have said that is usable, and discarding the rest.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
The meat and the bones

I could have just leave it there but I got this awesome piece of revelation and just have to share it in reply.

Thank you. That is a struggle for me. I stay awake at night working through the mechanical properties and designs of the things I want to make. And when I think I have found someone who shares my vision, who wants to help, its a joke. Either they end up being in for whatever profit they think they can get, or they just don't get it.
Either way, Im going to keep on keeping on. Im going to try and pursue a licensing agreement now. And Im learning how to weed through all the BS that gets thrown around as well. there are a lot of "entrepreneurs" who want to tell you "how its supposed to be done". And there is usable content in what they say, sometimes. The trick is finding out what they have said that is usable, and discarding the rest.

You got it.
Entrepreneurs are eager to help; those seasoned and those who are just coming up the ladder.
You as an entrepreneur, however, who is actually trying to get into the lane have to be mature enough to know how to take and listen to every advice given -- you cannot say whatever you want to say when you know they are just talking and are full of crap -- and move on as you think best. After all, you are responsible for your vehicle and where it goes. Also, you never know who will actually say something that is the missing link to the connection you are trying to make.

That said; you, the mature entrepreneur, must be able to eat the meat and throw away the bone without any hard feelings. I do that everyday as I encounter those who proceed to judge me by the car I drive, while not knowing what my product and cash portfolios looks like. I smile and go home and have another wonderful story to share with my wife. You keep moving forward. Built your dream entity, build yourself and soon you will be who you have dreamed you would become. It is not that easy though, but it is that easy.

And feel free to hit me up if you need a kick in the pants or to share a story or two -- wishing you all the best.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I love how there are so many good people on this forum always offering their great advice and support, keep it up guys

DrummerDad your situation does sound difficult because of the tooling costs etc, could you get some samples done with a metal 3d printer?
I heard they produce a really strong alloy and are great for small quantities and difficult designs.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
I dont know about a 3d printer. I only know about the ones that use plastic. At this point, I will wait till the drawings are updated and check on the cost of a lower quality cast plate. Using the 6061-t3511 is expensive, and probably not necessary. When the drawings are complete, Ill check with a few places on the printer method, as well. I had no idea they could do metal. Thank you

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Crowdfunding will probably be a great start for you. It's the type of product that has the chance to do very well. PM AndrewNC for his thought on crowdfunding for your product. That's his specialty.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics