The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Depressed, Divorced, College Dropout, Rich by 35

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Hi everyone, I'm Tiffany and I'm currently reading TMF . I'm 28 and I'm originally from southern California, though I made the decision last year to relocate to Ghana. I'm a freelance business writer by profession, and I specialize in content marketing and social media marketing campaigns.

Part of the reason I moved to Ghana was the cost of living. It costs a lot less to live here than California. I suffer from clinical depression, and getting treated here is more affordable for me. Also I'm relieved of a lot of financial stress I had back home (I think about John Morrow and his move to Mexico for similar reasons). I also moved here because I felt like living with my mother was crippling my growth as an adult. I could relate to MJ moving to Arizona, and how that forced him to focus. Except I've moved to Africa, so I really need to focus. :) I know people here, but I have no safety net. It's just me and my efforts.

A bit of financial background on me: Basically I have always been on the sidewalk. My parents were broke too, and their parents before them. My dad had an obsession with being rich, but he didn't have the actions to back up his dream. He would often read books like Iacoca and Why Should White Guys Have All the Fun. And he was making vision boards before they were cool. Eventually he became a real estate agent, and was successful at it before the housing bubble burst. Whenever escrow closed, we would go buy clothes and other fun things, and he even got himself a Benz. But when the money ran out we'd be surviving on tuna and saltine crackers until escrow closed again. Not the best financial example to follow. So I'd say I bypassed the slowlane altogether because I've never had anyone in my life demonstrate habits of saving and investing. I've researched the topics, but I've never had enough income to put them into practice. I've pretty much always been scraping by on the sidewalk. I attended college, but I was kicked out after the first year. I just couldn't keep up with the coursework. That was about ten years ago, and since then I got married, got divorced six years later, I've had multiple jobs, and I've piled up debts including hospital bills and pay day loans.

I've tried getting into internet marketing before, but there were just too many distractions and avenues for my brain to work with. If you've spent any amount of time on the Warrior Forum then you know what I mean. Eventually I decided to put my writing skills to work, but again, the depression has kept me from doing a lot of what I'd like to do. And as a real kicker, my boyfriend broke up with me last year around Christmas time, which sunk me even deeper into the pit. However, the breakup really made me look at my life and how I need to change it. Firstly, I needed to go see a doctor, and secondly, I needed to get my financial life in order. I think I made about $6,000 last year. I swore this year would be different, and I'm sticking to that. So I believe coming across the copy of TMF that I never got around to reading was serendipity. A lot of what I've read resonates with me. I really want to start my own fastlane ventures to finally get to the place of wealth I've been dreaming of.

Last year someone told me “You're not getting any younger” for the first time. That really scared the crap out of me. I'll be 30 in a couple years, and while I'm glad to be in a country that I call my 2nd home, my life isn't anywhere near what I envisioned it to be. So that's why I am here. Thank you MJ DeMarco for writing such an excellent book, and for creating a place online for students to communicate. I believe I have the potential to be wealthy. My goal is to be wealthy by 35, so time to put the pedal to the metal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Welcome Tiffiny ! With your knowledge in writing, marketing, and social media, you are primed for internet success.

I suggest reading all the Gold threads and as much as you can, then join the INSIDERS.
Something that helps me take daily action is posting a page on my wall of the entire calendar year and crossing off each day as they pass. I also have a Business daily diary.

Let us know how we can help.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Welcome Tiffiny ! With your knowledge in writing, marketing, and social media, you are primed for internet success.

I suggest reading all the Gold threads and as much as you can, then join the INSIDERS.
Something that helps me take daily action is posting a page on my wall of the entire calendar year and crossing off each day as they pass. I also have a Business daily diary.

Let us know how we can help.

Thank you for the helpful tips! I'll be sure to take them to heart.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
So what can you do for us?

openminded790

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 30, 2013

I'm going to try this.

Good luck Tiffany, it seems you have a pretty solid background with the necessary skills for success. Now to just get right into it!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
From California to Ghana... holy SHIT! That's a serious paradigm shift.

And the fact that it's easier to get treated for depression in Ghana than in the US, well... :banghead:

@458 was probably asking if you have anything to share with us, any experiences you'd like to go at length about, stuff you've learned throughout your journey thusfar, etc. but in a less than welcoming way.

What kind of Fastlanes have you been looking at?

EDIT: Also, you're in a budding Fastlane GOLDMINE! Ghana is quickly becoming a very rich country and has the best Internet in the whole continent. There's opportunities on every corner, I'm sure of it.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
From California to Ghana... holy SHIT! That's a serious paradigm shift.

And the fact that it's easier to get treated for depression in Ghana than in the US, well... :banghead:

@458 was probably asking if you have anything to share with us, any experiences you'd like to go at length about, stuff you've learned throughout your journey thusfar, etc. but in a less than welcoming way.

What kind of Fastlanes have you been looking at?

EDIT: Also, you're in a budding Fastlane GOLDMINE! Ghana is quickly becoming a very rich country and has the best Internet in the whole continent. There's opportunities on every corner, I'm sure of it.

@The-J thanks for the welcome, and for clarifying....I've certainly learned some things along the way when it comes to working online. Maybe I will share them in another post. One thing I do know is that making money online just suits me so well. I love the internet, as I have for the past 14 years or so. It hold so much power to connect and educate us all.

As for fastlanes, my friend gave me an idea for a unique entertainment app. I really want to follow through with it, so I'm doing research now. Also I'm considering a SaaS that would make content marketing much more doable for the average joe. Still conceptualizing this one.

Yes, Ghana is a growing economy, and the internet penetration is always growing. It would be beneficial for me to think of ways to serve the population here. I have my foot in the door as a writer for a local branding agency. That's a good start so that I can get to know what the market is like.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Welcome.

Interesting background.

Sometimes it's difficult to find good examples in the Black or Hispanic (I'm both) American communities because our folks taught us that after all the "hard work" to pave the path, we shouldn't try to rock the boat. Instead we should play it safe and "behave" in order to be successful.

I'm around your age, and I'm divorced. I know the blow it can have for everything. Getting out from under my parents has been rough but it's also been the best thing I've done because the sense of urgency I have is uncanny.

Can't wait to see more of you.

Cybria

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
Accra, Ghana
Welcome.

Interesting background.

Sometimes it's difficult to find good examples in the Black or Hispanic (I'm both) American communities because our folks taught us that after all the "hard work" to pave the path, we shouldn't try to rock the boat. Instead we should play it safe and "behave" in order to be successful.

I'm around your age, and I'm divorced. I know the blow it can have for everything. Getting out from under my parents has been rough but it's also been the best thing I've done because the sense of urgency I have is uncanny.

Can't wait to see more of you.

I'm so happy to see your reply. :D Thank you for the welcome! Yes I can relate to what you mean about not rocking the boat. My parents told me "you should go to college" but when it came to building wealth, I didn't get much usable insight. It's that way with a lot of families, so you don't see many wealthy black (or Hispanic) people, and far fewer black or Hispanic women. It's nice to see someone here with a similar background. I look forward to seeing more of you too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...