The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Defining Success

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I remember vividly the moment I defined success for myself in a way that I never had before.

I had just opened a Hallmark card from my father. It was a graduation card - - as I had just graduated from college. The card was not a traditional card. It was actually a card about re-defining success.

I had to laugh - because it is the sort of card you would give when none of the "congradulations" cards seem to fit. It was sort of like saying "atleast she has personality" instead of saying "she is beautiful." My dad was trying to look at the bright side of my graduation.

You see - I had been a series of dissapointments to my dad. I got pregnant. I got married at a very young age. I had even more children - making my life harder (in his eyes). It took me 10 years to graduate. I had decided NOT to sit for the CPA exam. Each of these was a failure to him.... a dissapointment.

This hurt me deeply for many years. Though I knew I was right to follow 'my' path, it hurt me to know he was dissapointed in me.

Until that day.

Somehow I knew - in the moment of reading that card - that someday he would be proud of me. I just had to stay strong and follow my own path. I had to branch away from my father's definition of success and create the definition that was right for me.

My old definition:

• A's in School
  • High Paying Job with Benefits
  • A Maxed out 401k and IRA
  • Awards and Recognitions
  • A Membership Card to the Chamber

My new definition:

• A Great Family Atmosphere
  • The Ability to Learn from Mistakes
  • The Ability to Persevere
  • An Understanding of my Vision and an Active Walk on the Path
  • A Life Lived with Intention
  • Freedom From a High Paying Job with Benefits
  • Freedom From the Need to Please Others

What is YOUR definition of Success?

imirza

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jul 29, 2007
Success means different things to different people. There can never be one definition of success. For me success is about having a clear and concise vision and going out everyday and accomplishing tasks that help bring this vision closer to reality. Thats my definition of success. Success is not a destination but rather a journey.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
There are lots of trite definitions and descriptions. And like Imirza said, everyone's is different.

For me, I will be successful when I feel as though I can choose exactly how to spend all 24 hours of my day/365, and still enjoy the respect of those I most respect and admire. If I can pull off that wonderful balance, then (in my heart and mind) I shall have succeeded.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
  • Being the best husband I can
  • Being the best father I can
  • Financial and time freedom
  • Making a difference in the lives of others
  • Living my life on purpose and following my calling
  • Being a true friend to others
  • Setting the example in character and morals
  • Leaving a legacy after I am gone

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I switch gears in my mind and my thinking jumps to different levels every now and again. This is an excerpt from one of those times. Sounded a bit strange the first time I wrote this, but it's one of my many definitions nonetheless.

Success is quite simply living a life worth living. To assume responsibility for all the

power and potential that you have is success. Moreover, to live a life striving

for improvement and offering improvements for others is where the true gifts of success

lie.

Success is to master the mind and love life in all circumstances. Success may be about

conquering a major feat, but while those only last a minute, a desire for life can

create success that lasts a life time. Lean it, think it, feel it, be it. When the

opportunities present themselves for you to take another under a wing, take it.

You will change a life. This success will feel fulfilling, and the true successes of life shall

be known. Get outside of yourself, and you will find what you've been looking for.

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific
What does success mean to you?

I just thought this would be an interesting topic. I believe everyone has there own definition of what that could be. I could be wrong, just want some feedback on that.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Re: What does success mean to you?

In the 7 Habits, Covey points out that success has negative financial connotations. That's why the book is about being an "EFFECTIVE" person.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread merged ... continue forth ...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.