Road1996
New Contributor
So I am currently in school right now pursuing a cyber security degree, however, I have switched majors
from mechanical engineering to cyber security. I'm a little behind because I switched in my sophomore year,
so I want to spend my free time learning necessary cyber security skills. I came across this website:
http://www.cyberdegrees.org/jobs/security-consultant/
And some technical skills required were
Now, although I am fairly new to the word of cyber security I know that it'd probably be impossible to master
all of these skills. However, I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on where the hell I should begin. I have
quite some free time because I don't have as many credits this semester but I'd like to begin learning some
skills on my own in my free time. I also have no idea where exactly I can find a website or course online to
learn the skills necessary, aside from codeacademy for learning programming languages. I'd greatly
appreciate the feedback if someone could let me know a resource online. I'm a broke college kid so I'm
looking for free resources online to find how to learn these skills. Thanks in advice, this forum is absolutely
amazing. You guys have helped me more than I could ask for.
from mechanical engineering to cyber security. I'm a little behind because I switched in my sophomore year,
so I want to spend my free time learning necessary cyber security skills. I came across this website:
http://www.cyberdegrees.org/jobs/security-consultant/
And some technical skills required were
- IDS/IPS, penetration and vulnerability testing
- Firewall and intrusion detection/prevention protocols
- Secure coding practices, ethical hacking and threat modeling
- ISO 27001/27002, ITIL and COBIT frameworks
- PCI, HIPAA, NIST, GLBA and SOX compliance assessments
- Windows, UNIX and Linux operating systems
- Performance tuning views, indexes, SQL and PLSQL
- Application security and encryption technologies
- C, C++, C#, Java or PHP programming languages
- Subnetting, DNS, encryption technologies and standards, VPNs, VLANs, VoIP and other network routing methods
- Network and web related protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, UDP, IPSEC, HTTP, HTTPS, routing protocols, etc.)
- Advanced Persistent Threats (APT), phishing and social engineering, network access controllers (NAC), gateway anti-malware and enhanced authentication
Now, although I am fairly new to the word of cyber security I know that it'd probably be impossible to master
all of these skills. However, I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on where the hell I should begin. I have
quite some free time because I don't have as many credits this semester but I'd like to begin learning some
skills on my own in my free time. I also have no idea where exactly I can find a website or course online to
learn the skills necessary, aside from codeacademy for learning programming languages. I'd greatly
appreciate the feedback if someone could let me know a resource online. I'm a broke college kid so I'm
looking for free resources online to find how to learn these skills. Thanks in advice, this forum is absolutely
amazing. You guys have helped me more than I could ask for.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
