The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Customer Acquisition : Let's talk about your experiences

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Hey guys. Most of us here love talking about business ideas and success stories ,however no one really talks about customer acquisition and that's really what makes or breaks an idea so let's change that.

So what are your personal experiences with Customer Acquisition? What's the maximum number of customers you've managed to obtain on a particular business? How long did it take you to obtain those customers? How difficult was it to obtain customers? Did you initiate a hard launch or soft launch of your company or no launch at all?

Let's get the conversation started with me.

In my previous business I sold a high end info product at the price of $497. I managed to acquire 23 customers over 12 months. It took 9 months to prepare my customer list for the product, and about one month to obtain 80% of my total customers. All of my customers were obtained via word of mouth without SEO or PPC.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Amazing topic. Looking forwards to reading this!

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
PPC, referrals, organic search. I always ship my packages with extra business cards.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
PPC, referrals, organic search. I always ship my packages with extra business cards.

Great idea, do you use minicards or regular sized business cards? And do you send multiple cards so your users can pass them around?

Amazing topic. Looking forwards to reading this!

Yes, I'm really looking forward to talking about customer development. Also to do my own part I will launch a detailed progress thread including a series of weekly youtube videos with a strong focus on customer acquisition and lead generation.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Great idea, do you use minicards or regular sized business cards? And do you send multiple cards so your users can pass them around?

Just regular size ones but the back has useful info that anyone interested in the product would want to know. I use this place PrintFirm, Inc. Full Color Business Cards, Postcards, Flyers Printing and if you can get a business account with them you can get 5,000 full color coated front and back 14pt business cards for $37 plus shipping.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Just regular size ones but the back has useful info that anyone interested in the product would want to know. I use this place PrintFirm, Inc. Full Color Business Cards, Postcards, Flyers Printing and if you can get a business account with them you can get 5,000 full color coated front and back 14pt business cards for $37 plus shipping.

Wow, what an amazing service. Thanks for telling me about this tool. I'll make sure to return the favor once I find out more about your new start up!

xindexer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 22, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Business cards are great for a physical product, but what about someone who's selling an intangible product or an electronic product? Some examples I'm thinking of are an eBook, a web-based service, or maybe something like an iPhone app.

Any ideas?

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Business cards are great for a physical product, but what about someone who's selling an intangible product or an electronic product? Some examples I'm thinking of are an eBook, a web-based service, or maybe something like an iPhone app.

Any ideas?

Do you currently have a business?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I like sending business cards and thank you letters to each customer at about the time of their first new energy bill so they can remember who brokered the deal. I also do some email marketing to keep my company name fresh in their mind.

The eventual plan is to start sort of a referral program where customers that refer a new sign up to me will get a 10 dollar visa gift card for each one.

I am also in the process of beginning to cold call certain people and offices that have a big bearing on new residential signups.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
bump this is a good thread

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For me, advertising on regional forums has been the greatest return for the money. I can work all through Texas. I am on houstongunforum.com and I plan on going to 2coolfishing.com, 2wheeledtexans.com, and others. I Just hate to have to post in foruums I really dont care much about. That is why it is always good to find ones that have a good off topic section.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
I have an online business about to launch on Friday - so I guess you could say I'm "about" to have a business. :)

Why don't you mail your customers a thank you card? Should only cost you about $1.50 per customer?

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
For me, advertising on regional forums has been the greatest return for the money. I can work all through Texas. I am on houstongunforum.com and I plan on going to 2coolfishing.com, 2wheeledtexans.com, and others. I Just hate to have to post in foruums I really dont care much about. That is why it is always good to find ones that have a good off topic section.

Do you pay for banners or do you actually go in and create posts letting people know of your services?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I typically buy in as a supporter and get a banner which is pretty much worthless IMO. Then they usually let me start a thread in the vendors section or whatnot that explains my service and answers questions. Every forum has a different set of rules on this, you don't want to burn the relationship buy doing spammy things.

I usually get about 8-10 percent of the members switched over by the end of the first month then they just trickle in when their contracts are up. Another great thing is that you can ask for in forum testimonials too!! They really help your credibility.

If I have my ad and banner in my sigline I do better the more I post.

I think it works well for my produce It may not be the best for everyone elses but I like it. My problem is that it still isnt fast enough for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.