The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cultivating Desire

Anything related to matters of the mind

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Today I had that burning desire to get what I want. I could have worked 1000 hours. Unfortunately I could not. I only had a few hours to work before I had other obligations to attend to.

That's the thing. Time is limited and motivation comes and goes.

I haven't quite figured out how to hold onto that burning desire. Have you?

Has anyone figured out how to do this? Or, perhaps it's not really an option and we have to find other ways to take consistent action with, or without, a burning desire to do so.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Find something to yearn for. It could be life without an alarm clock or a boss. It could be a new car, motorcycle or jet-ski. A new life, a months vacation. A move to an new home or even a new country. It could be as simple as the latest iPhone or killer turntable.

Just find something that's meaningful to you. Go look at the car in the showroom, get the glossy brochure on that motorcycle. Ask the agent for the details on that house and book a viewing. Make what you desire as real as possible then plot a way your new business can provide it.

The mind is a funny thing. If you give it something to work towards it will find a way and it works for the big things as well as the small stuff.

Think of something in your past you fixated on but couldn't afford. It might be your current cell phone or car. You didn't have the funds at the time but that didn't stop you from getting it. You eventually found a solution one way or another.

The trick is if you can't cultivate a desire for the process, cultivate a desire for what the process can give you.

BUT you have to have a fixation. You need to live and breathe that reward to compel the brain to take action, think about it night and day. Visualise it, make it real in your minds eye. Then it will become a reality.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Have you seen Eskil's MS Excel Document?

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
Read the way of the wolf. He has a great way of reinforcing positive actions and changing modes

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Find something to yearn for. It could be life without an alarm clock or a boss. It could be a new car, motorcycle or jet-ski. A new life, a months vacation. A move to an new home or even a new country. It could be as simple as the latest iPhone or killer turntable.

Just find something that's meaningful to you. Go look at the car in the showroom, get the glossy brochure on that motorcycle. Ask the agent for the details on that house and book a viewing. Make what you desire as real as possible then plot a way your new business can provide it.

The mind is a funny thing. If you give it something to work towards it will find a way and it works for the big things as well as the small stuff.

Think of something in your past you fixated on but couldn't afford. It might be your current cell phone or car. You didn't have the funds at the time but that didn't stop you from getting it. You eventually found a solution one way or another.

The trick is if you can't cultivate a desire for the process, cultivate a desire for what the process can give you.

BUT you have to have a fixation. You need to live and breathe that reward to compel the brain to take action, think about it night and day. Visualise it, make it real in your minds eye. Then it will become a reality.

I think what I've been struggling with is the abstraction of what I want.

For example, my number is 14 million and I want it within 10 years. The desire comes and goes and I think it's because that is an abstract number. I don't yet see clearly how I can attain that goal. Since my subconscious mind doesn't believe 100% that I can have that, it chooses not to lust after it very strongly.

When I reduce the goal into a bite-sized chunk, say earn 15k per month by the end of the year, the desire starts to spike up. I know exactly how I can reach that goal, so my subconscious mind has no problem yearning for it.

I'm currently reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, which is funny because I've read hundreds of business books at this point and am just now getting to this all-time classic that has been reiterated by millions of people since it's conception in the early 1900s.

After reflecting on the emotion of desire over the last few days, I've realized that I have learned how to suppress the feeling. It can be unpleasant to want something so bad and not be able to easily get it. That's why I've blocked it out. It's probably something I learned to do in childhood.

It takes effort to not block it out and instead focus on making it stronger.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
No, what's that?

Here is the Link:

Check it out!

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
There is no way to hold on to it.

The only thing you can train yourself to do is to act and work, despite you not wanting to in that moment.

The key skill is: Discipline.

I suggest you get the book "No Excuses" by Brian Tracey and execute all the summaries at the end of the chapters.

Your results will be pretty dramatic if you execute on it.

Best
Champion

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I think what I've been struggling with is the abstraction of what I want.

For example, my number is 14 million and I want it within 10 years. The desire comes and goes and I think it's because that is an abstract number. I don't yet see clearly how I can attain that goal. Since my subconscious mind doesn't believe 100% that I can have that, it chooses not to lust after it very strongly.

When I reduce the goal into a bite-sized chunk, say earn 15k per month by the end of the year, the desire starts to spike up. I know exactly how I can reach that goal, so my subconscious mind has no problem yearning for it.

Maybe you should stop concentrating on arbitrary numbers and on something more meaningful. Something physical rather than a number of dollars in a bank account. How would 15k a month change your life? What would your life look like? What would change for the better? What would it enable you to do? What one thing would you buy?

Build a picture up of how that would change your life. Get a pin board and fill it will pictures of those changes and hang it by your desk. Break that 15k down to x amount per month increase on your current earnings. Then you have a monthly goal. Find a meaningful reward for attaining that monthly goal. Then you have something tangible to work towards which only takes a little over 4 weeks to acquire.

How do you think people loose weight? Do they look at the fact that they have to drop 200lbs and that is their only target? No, they take it one small chunk at a time and they celebrate every time they hit a milestone. I've seen some of their posts on the KETO forums

"My God! I can't believe I'm under 300lbs, I haven't been this thin in 20 years! I'm going to have double broccoli this evening to celebrate :)"

Meaningless to most of us as we have never been anywhere near 300lbs but very, very powerful to those that started at 400 or 500lbs.

If you don't have meaningful goals to work towards, ones that are a stretch, but not a stretch too far, then you will never go anywhere as you have nothing to set your compass to. No solid destination so you will never stray far from the harbour.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Motivation comes from success. It's a positive feedback loop. Find a way to engineer quick wins and you'll get the loop started.

Success => Motivation => More Success => More Motivation => Even More Success

Consider re-reading Chapters 28, 29, and 30 of Unscripted .

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Write your vision down. Envision it daily, if not more than once daily.

Humans are excellent at forgetting. So remind yourself. At least daily.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.