The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crypto, Math Nerd - Pat

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

pat9000

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 29, 2018
Nashville, TN
Hello I'm Pat,

Someone requested I make a thread so I'll expand on my crypto experience a little bit more for you guys. Basically, I created a trading robot and on boarded 8 investors over the past 2 years. Allow me to elaborate below after a quick intro.

I live in Nashville and have spent 9 years in the military. This has taught me discipline and structure, which I am grateful for. I read MFL in 2018 and ever since then, I've been a wantrepreneur, a guy chasing shiny deals, and a hopeless shortcut taker that spent thousands on trashy courses. Ya'll probably know.

So let's talk about crypto!

The first thing I did was create a test robot and did some paper trading for a few months in 2019. Everything was good and generally 0.30% - 1% profits can be achieved daily with a good bot. That's roughly 109%+ a year if you're doing it right. It's just not always consistent and sometimes you can get rekt - think back in May when the market crashed hard, this causes bots to be faked out with false signals of reversals.

Why did I want to do this? Well, I read 2 books. 1) Dark Pools - This encompasses algorithmic trading which started back in the early 1980s. 2) The Snowbell Effect - This is about Warren Buffett and his life story, how he got started. These inspired me to take a deeper look into the financial sector and try to create value like Buffett did. He had people drive across the U.S. just to give him money. Impressive.

What I found was banks protect their code and bots extremely well. Here is a story about a Chinese math prodigy stealing some code from Goldman Sachs. They got him the next day. Extremely protective. Clearly this is crazy profitable if you can crack the code.

Next I examined the markets,
Stock Market - trades M-F, 8 hours. Controlled by Wall St.
Forex - global currencies that trade sideways and a lot of weird hours. No thanks.

Crypto - 24/7 trading, volatile, and newish. Cool, perfect. Crypto let's go

Then I said, does it make CENTS?
Control - Yes I control the bot and have the knowledge
Entry - Tough to enter correctly
Need - People want higher returns than 8%/yr
Time - The bot trades all day according to rules
Scale - Just need more $$ to lower fees and increase gain
It passed! (At least from my perspective)

Next, I threw some money in and was off to the races. The bot was performing fairly well, I told some people about it and next thing you know I have people calling and texting me to get in. I wasn't very sure how to sell it or structure it. I met up with my lawyer and he said offer a subscription and so I went that route.

I created a google sheet, because it's free and made some awesome equations. I figured why not have the shares move dynamically instead of statically? So whenever someone comes in and buys/sells some shares, the sheet automatically calculates everything and this changes the shares outstanding but keep the current share price the same.

Next I created an app using glide apps and this turns a google sheet into a phone application. You just bookmark the page and add it to your home screen which enables you to launch it like a normal app you get off the app store. Every day I drop a new share price in for everyone and post updates.

And finally, I write a weekly crypto letter to everyone. I charge this package, or whatever the hell it is, as a service at $20 a month for a subscription. Kind of a weird business model but it works. So even if the crypto market tanks, I collect $20/mo from new users and investors. I'm still in the development stage and the crypto market has been brutal recently so our 300% returns got axed in May. I don't think I've ever had my a$$ kicked so hard but hey they are all still onboard and we are still rolling forward.

I have no idea what I'm creating or doing but I am going to keep adding new features and I'll eventually market it and get more folks on board but right now the market is choppy so be careful trading. Sideways is bad, at least for me.

Hopefully you guys got some cool tools or something out of this post. I'm not in the Fastlane yet, it's really hard. But I will not give up.

Pat

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Pat, great job.

Question, is what you are doing subject to regulatory exposure? I am wondering if you might be building a liability in terms of operating outside of regulations which may cause you to be legally liable for the losses your 'members' incur.

It feels like your other parties are all partners in an investment fund - it depends how local financial licensing works as to who (if anyone) needs to be licensed, the status of the 'investors' and where the legal liabilities lie.

I understand the lawyer is/was attempting to deal with that with the separate company - but are you really protected, is the lawyer experienced in the right areas. I know someone who got really burned by a 'family friend' lawyer who failed to build the right structure - and their 'customers' lawyers were happy to school all concerned to the tune of more than 7 figures.

pat9000

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 29, 2018
Nashville, TN
The exposure part is why I haven't tried to expand. I do think it'd be more of an investment fund and I'll probably need to speak with a financial lawyer of some time. Definitely don't want to get hit with 7 figures ouch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.