The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Critique my tea website

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Just give it to me straight, Doc. My conversion rate is only 6% right now. There's something about my website that's making people click but not buy. I'm using pretty targeted AdWords too. Can you critique my copy, pictures, product descriptions, and so forth? azultea.com

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Where are your testimonials/reviews?
The products haven't even been delivered to the customers yet. But I like that idea, I'll be sure to mention that in the follow up with customers.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I'd break apart the drug test and health benefit angles and split test them. Or, just run separate campaigns.

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014
"Life is easier with tea"

Is hardly compelling and gives your visitor no reason to keep looking. Use that valuable space for something more captivating.

You need to target a certain group of people to get them conversions.

Don't just say "life is easier" show off the biggest benefit of your tea that you can find and prove.

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
When I scroll down I see wood chips. I realise this is what the product looks like, but to me that does not look like "tea", causing me to be confused and click away, as I was looking for tea not wood chips. Maybe have pictures or video on how to make the tea with these wood chips?

No company name, no telephone, no social media... doesn't look like a real company? I don't know why but having FB, twitter, instagram page make a company look more professional to me. No "about" the company either? What if I don't like the tea or there is a problem with it? Can I return it for a refund?

Pictures on the About page are all different styles and don't match.

Install heat map software to see what people are doing when they land on your page.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I drink tea all day, but when I look at your website I don't have the appetite to buy your tea. It reminds me of wood and desert. Dry and un-inviting. Dried out prune. lol Not trying to be mean, but I love tea and drink it like crazy. So, I went to my favorite tea website, and the difference you can see. A glass of tea, fruit on the package, gets my taste buds moving. I can taste it already. Visuals matter, because it gets your saliva going. But just my take on it. I didn't really have the urge to buy your tea cause I'm looking at the desert and feel like I'll be dehydrated or dried out.
http://www.pickwick.nl/

Jata

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 21, 2015
It doesn't feel cohesive somehow. I notice that you put 'scroll down' on the image. Firstly I don't think that looks professional and is suggestive of trying to fix something. It feels like you're not making the most of that space. Above the fold is gold as it were. I agree with themaxx, install some heatmap software to get some proper feedback. Perhaps looking at some competitor websites might help:

https://theteahouse.co.uk/
https://www.teapigs.co.uk/
https://jingtea.com/

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
The homepage is honestly awful in my opinion man, I think the color choices for the fonts and even the "buy now" button are all wrong..

Your menu tabs text is difficult to see with the current background you have set up, the tag line for your logo is way to small, i have to squint to actually see what it says.

Like someone mentioned above, no phone number
Stop using the red colored buttons on your site, switch them to green with white font or maybe blue with white font.

I'm a BIG tea drinker, and your product is not one bit appealing to me from what I see on the site. Sorry man, just being honest.

Madd

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 24, 2015
I would also suggest to use other pictures form your kitchen (maybe with no background, only the pot)

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
I like the overall feel of the site- simple not cluttered and it is certainly in keeping with the current view of tea as a some Zen medicine for the mind and body. Personally not a big fan of the first tag line -I think it is the direct reference to kidney - too medical to draw me in.
- Azule Tea - Helping the body to help itself - or something less specific but equally promising.
I would drop the "Are you looking to learn more about Palo Azul tea? Well this is the place!" from the about page as it is self evident.
Took 2 clicks to get to the product - 1 would be ideal.
I read left to right so saw the drug test cup before the actual tea. This give them at least equal prominence on the page. Suggest you give the tea more prominence. Also a better picture of the tea would help- maybe a side on view of the tea in a glass cup so we can see how pure it is - next to the bagged product?
good luck

brickco

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jan 6, 2015
I think your problems are simpler than what people think. I think you need to change "discouragement" to "discouraged" (same tense as the following two words) and then use infographics for the instructions. The pictures look a bit amateur. Infographics would work better with your theme. See here for example:

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Why are you selling a drug test on the same site?

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
What I would do:

Needs design improvement on home page.

Increase price point and offer a "free trial, just pay $5 shipping"

Try subscription method - Free trial then sign up to our $29.99 monthly tea subscription.
This Will skyrocket your Customer Lifetime Value.

Figure out how long people stay with you on the subscription.
Example:
5 months x $30 = $150.
150 - 30% costs ($45) = $105 profit (CLV)
When your CLV hits around $50-100 start driving paid traffic.

Scale.

And boom you have a 6 figure business or more :)

Best of luck

p.s why the drug test bro

Tim0thy_D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Nov 5, 2015
On first look i found no compelling reason to buy this product.
And the layout of the website seemed to sort of force it on you as the first thing i saw was "buy now"
For a regular product without any previous knowledge on it I probably would have just exited the website immediately.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Why are you selling a drug test on the same site?
What I would do:

Needs design improvement on home page.

Increase price point and offer a "free trial, just pay $5 shipping"

Try subscription method - Free trial then sign up to our $29.99 monthly tea subscription.
This Will skyrocket your Customer Lifetime Value.

Figure out how long people stay with you on the subscription.
Example:
5 months x $30 = $150.
150 - 30% costs ($45) = $105 profit (CLV)
When your CLV hits around $50-100 start driving paid traffic.

Scale.

And boom you have a 6 figure business or more :)

Best of luck

p.s why the drug test bro
Absolutely love the subscription idea. And to answer your questions on the drug test. A large amount of traffic is from people that are using the Palo Azul tea to detox for drug tests, which its proven to do. But I already tried marketing to that group and it didn't work for me, but I keep the drug test up there for them anyway.

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014
Absolutely love the subscription idea. And to answer your questions on the drug test. A large amount of traffic is from people that are using the Palo Azul tea to detox for drug tests, which its proven to do. But I already tried marketing to that group and it didn't work for me, but I keep the drug test up there for them anyway.

You can't just change markets after you try for a little bit. Creating a converting sales piece wether it be a flyer, web page, or magazine is a process that requires testing and improving based on statistics. If you keep changing markets after you don't make sales you'll never win.

Look up A/B testing.

Take elements from successful websites that are selling exactly what you're selling -tweak and test them.

What I see on your page is some lack of research. You have to dig in deep to see what your market wants.

You can't afford to waste value space on your website with catch phrases like "life is easier with tea". There is a place for that, but not on the first page of your site in big letters, serving absolutely no purpose.

Every inch of your website needs to have a purpose for the consumer.

awu9NPg.png

Ys0a7Ri.png

This is just a change I made in like 2 minutes with little research on the tea ( i knbow nothing about teas)

Lets say you're someone with kidney problems and tired of harmful medicine with side effects and you want a natural alternative..

Which one would grab your interest?

Think like that.

Also, I put "highly potent" because with a few seconds of google search, it seems like people searching for tea care about its potency more than how "rare" it is.

You can't put a button that says "buy now" if you haven't done your job selling yet.

Imagine someone walking up to you saying " my product makes life good. buy now!" without explaining ANYTHING ELSE.

would you suddenly fork over your money and pay him? no. you need to be sold.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
You can't just change markets after you try for a little bit. Creating a converting sales piece wether it be a flyer, web page, or magazine is a process that requires testing and improving based on statistics. If you keep changing markets after you don't make sales you'll never win.

Look up A/B testing.

Take elements from successful websites that are selling exactly what you're selling -tweak and test them.

What I see on your page is some lack of research. You have to dig in deep to see what your market wants.

You can't afford to waste value space on your website with catch phrases like "life is easier with tea". There is a place for that, but not on the first page of your site in big letters, serving absolutely no purpose.

Every inch of your website needs to have a purpose for the consumer.

awu9NPg.png

Ys0a7Ri.png

This is just a change I made in like 2 minutes with little research on the tea ( i knbow nothing about teas)

Lets say you're someone with kidney problems and tired of harmful medicine with side effects and you want a natural alternative..

Which one would grab your interest?

Think like that.

Also, I put "highly potent" because with a few seconds of google search, it seems like people searching for tea care about its potency more than how "rare" it is.

You can't put a button that says "buy now" if you haven't done your job selling yet.

Imagine someone walking up to you saying " my product makes life good. buy now!" without explaining ANYTHING ELSE.

would you suddenly fork over your money and pay him? no. you need to be sold.
That is good copy, can I keep that on my site?

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
Couple of suggestions:

- Font is hard to read
- Logo is nice, but the design is far from top notch.
- You can find themes for $50-$70 that look professional and need little customization
- Small and anonymous CTAs
- You need a lead magnet/incentive for your mailing list
- I feel like something is missing, the site is too simplistic. Somebody over mentioned testimonials. Some social proof would also help.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
You're converting a 6%!?

Your conversion rate is the least of your worries.

You need more traffic.

You're also charing way too little.

You need a proper landing page for paid traffic.

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
This is really really good stuff, its exactly what I needed.
You're converting a 6%!?

Your conversion rate is the least of your worries.

You need more traffic.

You're also charing way too little.

You need a proper landing page for paid traffic.

Is 6% good? Because AdWords is saying I made 11,200 impressions, 68 clicks, and 3 sales, and I'm currently at 4.4% (likely because of the fastlane forum traffic), but my cost for conversions is currently $35.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
So there's a cup that people are meant to pee in...next to a tea you're trying to sell?

:vomit: :puke:
I was using it as a second product to up sell to the people that use my product to detox for drug tests.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Is 6% good? Because AdWords is saying I made 11,200 impressions, 68 clicks, and 3 sales, and I'm currently at 4.4% (likely because of the fastlane forum traffic), but my cost for conversions is currently $35.

Your conversion rate is relative, but at 68 clicks it's nowhere near enough data for to be statistically significant.

Your price is way too low to run adwords, unless you have some sort of funnel or are upselling.

All you should be concerned about right now, throw at all the other data, does EPC > CPC? Is Earnings Per Click greater than Cost Per Click.

I have a feeling you need to rework your offer before you should run traffic.

You need to be able to pay $20-30 per CUSTOMER on Adwords - in order to effectively scale and have a profitable business. This is true for most markets - adwords isn't cheap but it sure can be lucrative.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Your conversion rate is relative, but at 68 clicks it's nowhere near enough data for to be statistically significant.

Your price is way too low to run adwords, unless you have some sort of funnel or are upselling.

All you should be concerned about right now, throw at all the other data, does EPC > CPC? Is Earnings Per Click greater than Cost Per Click.

I have a feeling you need to rework your offer before you should run traffic.

You need to be able to pay $20-30 per CUSTOMER on Adwords - in order to effectively scale and have a profitable business. This is true for most markets - adwords isn't cheap but it sure can be lucrative.
I love @Silverhawk851's idea for a subscription base for recurring revenue, it'll get me a lot better profits, or I have to upsell. Either way would you agree that I need a second product to grow?

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Holy massive wall of text batman!! Is no one else concerned about this? I didn't read a single word it's so intimidating.

Break up your copy. You need headlines, subheads, images, different sections. Right now there is no way I'm reading that copy.
http://www.copywritinghelp.net/copy...-white-space-in-your-web-copywriting/#article
http://www.copyblogger.com/how-to-write-exquisite-subheads/

The infographic idea posted earlier is great. Get on fiverr and have some folks design a little eye-candy for you. But do whatever you can to make your copy readable. Because right now it's not a sales page, it's an essay.

alW4qKy.jpg

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Holy massive wall of text batman!! Is no one else concerned about this? I didn't read a single word it's so intimidating.

Break up your copy. You need headlines, subheads, images, different sections. Right now there is no way I'm reading that copy.
http://www.copywritinghelp.net/copy...-white-space-in-your-web-copywriting/#article
http://www.copyblogger.com/how-to-write-exquisite-subheads/

The infographic idea posted earlier is great. Get on fiverr and have some folks design a little eye-candy for you. But do whatever you can to make your copy readable. Because right now it's not a sales page, it's an essay.

alW4qKy.jpg
Those two articles made such a huge difference I think, thank you. Check out the update on my website.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Those two articles made such a huge difference I think, thank you. Check out the update on my website.

Getting there! Take a look at http://www.bruvelo.com and notice how they've broken up each section. There's a different color separating each unique thought, along with graphics. Notice how visually, they bounce your eye from left to right based on where the copy is in relation to the images. They've also put their main CTA front and center so they can get sign ups.

Did you check it out? Seriously, check out their site, scroll through to the bottom, then let's talk about making your site better.

Ready? Let's talk about your CTA first.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you have "show me how it works" as your CTA. Why not, Buy Now? I get that you want to educate folks, but what if they just want to buy? Why make it complicated for them?

But I get that you want to educate the customer first, so why not have two buttons, one that says "Learn more" and one that says "Buy now"?

osHtg2F.jpg

Cool, let's talk copy.

Normally I'm a fan of long-form copy. But only if every word of that copy is essential. Your copy could be boiled down and made much more effective. Here's how I might rewrite the first part:
In 2015, Your Body Is In More Danger than Ever.
The average American has increased their high fructose corn syrup consumption from 0 to 60 pounds per person per year. Everywhere you turn, you're met with tempting, destructive, sugary foods. But what if there was something just as oh-so-delicious as sugary foods, but was still 100% natural and healthy for you? Something to satisfy your sweet tooth guilt free and without any chemical sweeteners like Aspartame? Would you give it a shot?

The Body Is a Temple— Don't Destroy It with Processed Sugar.
There is a little-known herb from the rainforests of Mexico that goes by the name of Palo Azul. Azul meaning blue, Palo meaning… well, we're not sure. But it may as well mean miraculous because that's what this stuff is.

In fact, studies have shown that regularly drinking Palo Azul can help you shed body fat, promote kidney health, chase out dangerous toxins, and even strengthen joints. Of course, what the studies don't mention, is that it does all this while tasting undeniably incredible— you'll have to take our word on that.

From there I would go into the individual health benefits as you've done already, but with better copy. I'd also suggest staying away from using "I". It can be a great tactic if you tie yourself into the business (Bob's Teas), or if you make it look like a letter from the owner or something. But the way you've used it here it looks a little amateurish. Try using "We" and "Us" instead.

I would also suggest making the "Learn More" CTA an anchor link instead of taking readers to a new page.

As for marketing/strategy, why not add a 10% discount so you can build some momentum? Look how these guys do it:
http://templecoffee.com notice how they have a discount pop up in the bottom right?

But above all else. More than anything. You need your product photo up where it will be seen. If you go back to the bruvelo website, notice how they have right there, front and center. How can you get your image to a place where it would be visible? I'd suggest bringing up into the copy as soon as you start talking about Azul Tea. That way visitors tie the product to the benefit. Kind of like this:

0FtBA5T.jpg

See what I mean by visual flow? Our eyes are given context by the images and a natural direction to travel down. Makes it much more likely that your copy will be read.

That's all I can think of for now. Best of luck man.

PS. Doesn't Azul mean blue? Not Palo?

EUzhU74.jpg

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads