The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creative Pay Scale Question/Discussion

BEAR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 11, 2007
Montana
Hey all,
I would like to start a discussion on different and creative ways to pay different levels of employee's.
I own a semi-successful service company that has been doubling in size every year for the last three years but has now hit a point that we need to hire more staff to continue to grow.
We also are starting to get into much bigger bids/contracts than we have been accustome to, and doing much larger commercial projects, so our current pay scale does not seem very feasible.

Sales:
Sales is the most important part of any business, without sales there is no work.
Currently, we pay 10% commission.
We use independent contractors that sell other services as well (residential).
We are now moving into commercial work and that pay scale simply does not work in that arena. ($2000 for a residential = $200 vs $200,000 for commercial = $20,000).
I currently bid all the commercial work myself and it is becoming to be too time consuming for me to do as I would like to be working "ON" the company rather than "IN" the company.
We would like to hire our own sales people rather than using independents if possible but would like to keep the pay performance based as well as be fair to the sales person's time and energy (we dont win all of the bids and some can take 8+ hrs.).
Looking for suggestions/ideas here.

Labor:
Labor is a very important part of our business as well and it is very difficult to find good help in this department.
Labor is currently all over the board according to experience and worthiness.
I have an idea of what I am going for in this department but would appreciate any feedback or suggestions
I am trying to come up with a performance based pay scale that pays everyone a base wage (say minimum wage or similar) and a performance bonus for work done correctly and professionally. Obviously, the more experienced employees would warrant a better bonus.
The end goal is to reward good, honest work and not reward sloppy mistakes.
For example, a bonus would be paid but could be revoked if problems with the workmanship arises.
Any ideas here?

TIA, and lets discuss so other fastlaners can profit from these ideas in the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
For the sales force, the only thing I've got is what you're doing: commission based.

I'm not sure what industry you are in but I'll tell you what I've done.

When I had my firewood packaging facility I had laborers bundling pieces of firewood together. I paid them a per piece rate plus a bonus for exceeding the quota. It was several years ago and the business went down the tubes due to numerous complications, so I don't remember (or have tried to forget) what exactly the rates were.

It was something like $0.10 a bundle and if they exceeded the quota of say 400 bundles a day then they got $5.00 bonus and if they went over 450 they got $10.00 on top of the $5.00 and it went on like that. I had it worked out so that if they packaged the minimum amount (which was what a slow pace would produce) they would make the state minimum wage (which by law you must pay). It gave the workers a real incentive to work at a quick pace and rewarded the top producers. Obviously quality control is an issue, I couldn't have loose bundles or bundles that weren't the right size. Too big and I was loosing money, too small and I was out of compliance with weights and measures and could get fined. I checked each pallet for overall size and made sure they looked ok. If not I docked that workers pay for the non conforming bundles, then made them re-do them. The good guys caught on quick, the bad guys didn't come back.

I'm sure this form of pay scale could be adapted to other industries besides packaging.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
A percentage on gross sales for new business, but maintaining existing business.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
A percentage on gross sales for new business, but maintaining existing business.

Not on gross sales if your sales people determine the sales price... too much incentive to dump product to make sales. A percentage of gross profit seems to work pretty well and keeps the margin up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.