In the talk that I gave at Saigon Hub (video here), I discussed what I like to call a "customer champion".
This is someone who rallies to your brand and wants to support you. They're eager to share your story and defend you if needed.
Some people want to visit your website, buy something and never hear from you again.
Some people just want a monthly report of the service that you're delivering.
But the champion responds to your vision and will be with you until the end.
It's your job as a business owner to recognize this and give them an opportunity for meaningful connection on a deeper level than the traditional customer.
I do this every day with my company Natural Stacks and it generally follows two things that were burned into my brain from scaling GiftCardRescue.com into a muli-million dollar company.
1.) 80 / 20 is everything
80 percent of your revenue is going to come from 20 percent of your customers. You need to find this 20 percent quickly or else your business will die.
2.) Do things that don't scale
A few years ago you could fool people with marketing automation using software like Infusionsoft. Emails looks personal and felt legitimate. Now everyone knows that your autoresponder is garbage.
Here's a few examples of things that I did this week -
Someone posted on reddit recommending our products. They didn't link back or anything, but they created the idea. They started a discussion. They're promoting our brand and obviously are a big supporter.
This person is a champion.
So I sent them a personal message thanking them and created them a unique coupon code using their name that will give them a free product.
By creating goodwill, I expect goodwill to return in some form or another. Generally this is how the universe works.
- -
We're getting ready to release a few new essential products. Instead of pumping the email list (like everyone else does), I segmented our data for the top 50 customers. Who has been buying the most from us? How can I help them further improve their lives?
What I did from there was send each of them a personal email informing them of what's going on with the company and asking if there was anything that I can do to help.
Sure it took a few hours writing them out, but I build a meaningful connection with the 20% who will provide 80% of our revenue.
How often do you get an email from a co-founder of a company asking you how you're doing and what they can improve on? Rarely I bet.
Eventually these things will become processes
I can't go on forever searching reddit and forums looking for customer champions. But while we're at the size we are now, I can.
By building the right company culture and playbook, it's something that we can continue to grow infinitely into the future. By doing this we can be a long-term profitable company.
So ask yourself now (it doesn't matter what your business is), is there a certain customer or customers that just love what you're doing?
How can you empower them and make that connection deeper? It will only benefit you in the future.
- @ben_hebert
This is someone who rallies to your brand and wants to support you. They're eager to share your story and defend you if needed.
Some people want to visit your website, buy something and never hear from you again.
Some people just want a monthly report of the service that you're delivering.
But the champion responds to your vision and will be with you until the end.
It's your job as a business owner to recognize this and give them an opportunity for meaningful connection on a deeper level than the traditional customer.
I do this every day with my company Natural Stacks and it generally follows two things that were burned into my brain from scaling GiftCardRescue.com into a muli-million dollar company.
1.) 80 / 20 is everything
80 percent of your revenue is going to come from 20 percent of your customers. You need to find this 20 percent quickly or else your business will die.
2.) Do things that don't scale
A few years ago you could fool people with marketing automation using software like Infusionsoft. Emails looks personal and felt legitimate. Now everyone knows that your autoresponder is garbage.
Here's a few examples of things that I did this week -
Someone posted on reddit recommending our products. They didn't link back or anything, but they created the idea. They started a discussion. They're promoting our brand and obviously are a big supporter.
This person is a champion.
So I sent them a personal message thanking them and created them a unique coupon code using their name that will give them a free product.
By creating goodwill, I expect goodwill to return in some form or another. Generally this is how the universe works.
- -
We're getting ready to release a few new essential products. Instead of pumping the email list (like everyone else does), I segmented our data for the top 50 customers. Who has been buying the most from us? How can I help them further improve their lives?
What I did from there was send each of them a personal email informing them of what's going on with the company and asking if there was anything that I can do to help.
Sure it took a few hours writing them out, but I build a meaningful connection with the 20% who will provide 80% of our revenue.
How often do you get an email from a co-founder of a company asking you how you're doing and what they can improve on? Rarely I bet.
Eventually these things will become processes
I can't go on forever searching reddit and forums looking for customer champions. But while we're at the size we are now, I can.
By building the right company culture and playbook, it's something that we can continue to grow infinitely into the future. By doing this we can be a long-term profitable company.
So ask yourself now (it doesn't matter what your business is), is there a certain customer or customers that just love what you're doing?
How can you empower them and make that connection deeper? It will only benefit you in the future.
- @ben_hebert
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
