The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating apps for IOS and Android

Christygruber124

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jul 16, 2020
PA
I am still pretty new and trying to figure my way around here. I've been wanting to ask a question, but kept trying to decide how to word it. However, after I finished listening to Grant Cardone's 10x Rule book, I decided to stop overthinking it and ask.

I want to create games for the Android and iPhone/iPad. The problem I have is my iMac is TOO OLD! I got it in 2011, so it can no longer upgrade to any new OS since Maverick I think. I have a windows desktop computer that I built last year. (Yes, I really did build my own computer a little over a year ago! She's a real beaut and powerful. Designed for gaming streaming and so forth) Okay, I"m done bragging :)

I'm trying to decide what to do with programming for iPhone apps. The only way to get a new iMac or Macbook is to go into debt again. Sure, I can get 0 interest rate for 6 months or use Apple's financing plan but I really don't want to go into debt again. But then again, I'd really like to make apps for both the Android and Iphone.

So I"m not exactly sure what path to take here. Right now, I'm using Udemy to learn how to program in Python. I felt strongly that was where I needed to go. However, I am also interested in learning application development so I can create fun games.

My question is, should I invest in buying an iMac or Macbook now or wait until I actually have the cash to buy one?

Looking forward to any advice or suggestions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
I am still pretty new and trying to figure my way around here. I've been wanting to ask a question, but kept trying to decide how to word it. However, after I finished listening to Grant Cardone's 10x Rule book, I decided to stop overthinking it and ask.

I want to create games for the Android and iPhone/iPad. The problem I have is my iMac is TOO OLD! I got it in 2011, so it can no longer upgrade to any new OS since Maverick I think. I have a windows desktop computer that I built last year. (Yes, I really did build my own computer a little over a year ago! She's a real beaut and powerful. Designed for gaming streaming and so forth) Okay, I"m done bragging :)

I'm trying to decide what to do with programming for iPhone apps. The only way to get a new iMac or Macbook is to go into debt again. Sure, I can get 0 interest rate for 6 months or use Apple's financing plan but I really don't want to go into debt again. But then again, I'd really like to make apps for both the Android and Iphone.

So I"m not exactly sure what path to take here. Right now, I'm using Udemy to learn how to program in Python. I felt strongly that was where I needed to go. However, I am also interested in learning application development so I can create fun games.

My question is, should I invest in buying an iMac or Macbook now or wait until I actually have the cash to buy one?

Looking forward to any advice or suggestions.

You want to create games? Learn C#, learn Unity. That's it. Unity exports to both Android and iOS based on the same code. Since you can test the game on any emulator (I don't know about those for iOS), you don't really have a problem. Test your own Android version, ask someone else with an iPhone to download and test it. Though I never heard about any problems with Unity between Android/iOS versions.

But START. Especially people who want to go into game development (I created a 2D game in Javascript and a 3D game in C# with Unity) never start. And are either a) overwhelmed with how hard it is because they never coded or b) positively surprised just HOW easy it became with Unity.

Assets, artwork...you can buy them. And I'd strongly suggest doing so. Or you'll have to learn how to code, how to develop games, how to model, and how to draw at the same time.

PS: Python now really is the last language I'd learn for mobile (game) development. It's great and all for scientific computing, but is not useful for mobile development and not really suited for state of the art game development.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
But START. Especially people who want to go into game development (I created a 2D game in Javascript and a 3D game in C# with Unity) never start. And are either a) overwhelmed with how hard it is because they never coded or b) positively surprised just HOW easy it became with Unity.

Did you get any sales on your games? I was under the assumption that you cannot compete with studios in this space, especially if you develop an indie style (solo developer). I read a couple of success stories but they did not get a substantial amount of money despite developing a solid game for months.

There are also well-known cases like Minecraft and Stardust Valley, but that was years of work for experienced people. Quite risky to develop something for years without validating this game idea first, and games are especially hard to validate on the market.

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
I do not know anything about coding, but came across pwa style apps vs native. Not sure the full capabilities for games, but I know there are some games made this way. Seamless interface and other bonuses. When I need an app for my product, this is the way I'm going.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Did you get any sales on your games? I was under the assumption that you cannot compete with studios in this space, especially if you develop an indie style (solo developer). I read a couple of success stories but they did not get a substantial amount of money despite developing a solid game for months.

There are also well-known cases like Minecraft and Stardust Valley, but that was years of work for experienced people. Quite risky to develop something for years without validating this game idea first, and games are especially hard to validate on the market.

I developed those for fun, not with the intention to generate revenue.

Of course you can. You'll sure as hell not design an AAA title. But a lot of these really popular mobile games can _easily_ be done by just one developer. But _marketing_ them...that's a whole other topic. And you can team up with a publisher for that.

One of the most often posted (and correct) criticisms about behavior in "creative industries" and why people fail to make money in them is because people might be great creative artists, but shitty business people.

When you're just starting out in game development, I'd not advise you to take on games that'll take you years to develop. Start small. Flappy Bird, for example, was a huge hit. And is extreeeemely simple to code.

Before you think about "validating your game ideas", you should "validate your motivation to create games".

What really turned me off most was that the last 10% usually take up 90% of work. It really is that bad. It's nitty-gritty tedious bug-fixing.

ph0enix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 19, 2020
UK
There's no guarantee you'll make money from this project (unless maybe you know that there's proven market demand), but it could be a useful learning experience.
I would suggest first work either in a job or a cash generating side-hustle (freelancing, or use ideas on this forum) to fund your project, and not get into debt.
Best of luck.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
You can build a hackintosh. I mean, run OSX in your PC. That how I started. Then you can think of buying or not a new Mac.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
www.macincloud.com. $25/month for a hosted mac that comes with XCode preinstalled.

But I agree with everyone else. Why create a game? Its about the most competitive arenas out there for software, and you're going up against very well funded projects, with teams of highly experienced developers. You don't sound like you're truly committed to this. The only way this will have a chance of working is if you're pathologically committed to it, and you get lucky.

If your response to what I just wrote is, 'f-you I'm gonna do this anyway,' then congrats, you're in the right mindspace for it. Anything less than that, pick something else.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
If you make standalone iOS apps, they effectively belong to Apple. Your business is completely under their Control.

Making non-standalone iOS apps that act as interfaces to websites is a lot safer, and can be done with cross-platform tools (Flutter/Xamarin/Cordova).

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Ugh.

Because of this thread, I'm programming games again. I wanted to bring Speedball to mobile for a long time. I'm currently taking this course, BTW:

Been out for years. When I used Unity, you could still code in Javascript.

Like I said: I'd recommend switching from Python. Also, it's really, really, really important that you learn Unity, which is a skill for itself. Or any engine. You can also try Game Maker, some say it's really beginner-friendly. But "beginner-friendly" often translates to "You'll hit a wall with your creative ideas, fast".

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Because of this thread, I'm programming games again. I wanted to bring Speedball to mobile for a long time.

No way... that was one of my favourite games of all time... on the C64. #BrutalDeluxe

I was even going to use the Speedball Cover as the cover of my first Stoner Rock album, which never got past the first demo! lol

Do you remember Combat School? I'm remaking this now with Unity... I've a demo out called Bootcamp USA! :bullseye:

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
No way... that was one of my favourite games of all time... on the C64. #BrutalDeluxe

I was even going to use the Speedball Cover as the cover of my first Stoner Rock album, which never got past the first demo! lol

Do you remember Combat School? I'm remaking this now with Unity... I've a demo out called Bootcamp USA! :bullseye:

I spent hours playing it on the AMIGA 500. There was a mobile version in 2011. I haven't downloaded it, yet. But for copyright reasons, I'll have to go for another theme while employing the same game mechanics. I think it's gonna be Viking tribes playing ball instead of bashing their heads in.

Stoner Rock! Nice.

No, unfortunately I don't remember that. Do you have a link to that Demo?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.