The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating an Emergency Savings Plan

bigmako

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 25, 2008
California
Not sure if anybody saw this, so I thought I'd post it.
I think this has some great info here!

"How to establish an easy-to-access Emergency Cash Fund to cover life's little hiccups"

1) Figure out how much cash you need each month for food, shelter, transportation, and other necessities. Bump up this number to include things like job-hunting expenses (for those of you who have a job) should you suddenly lose it. Then multiply it by three or six for the number of months you want to cover, and remember to factor in the number of people for whom you're financially responsible.

Consider including upcoming big-ticket expenses, such as an auto-insurance bill. (Or a bigscreen TV for the Superbowl)

2) Decide how much you can afford to contribute each month to meet this goal. Make this a must-pay expense.

Once you have figured out your target and contribution amounts, pick a readily accessible account that is immune to the stock market's flights of fancy. That narrows the list to checking and savings accounts, money-market funds, certificates of deposit and short-term bonds.

Though returns on your short-term savings will never rival long-term returns on stocks, emergency cash should earn its keep. Compare interest rates, yields, the cost to purchase and maintain the investment, and the minimum investment required to get you favorable rates.:coffee:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I was nodding my head until I got to the part about budgeting some emergency cash for buying a big screen for the Super Bowl.

:tdown:

UGH. Unemployed, trying to keep your family alive, and you allocate emergency funds for a BIG SCREEN?

Totally misconstrues the concept of an emergency fund (which we will cover in detail on the "How to Develop your PLAN" thread.

-Russ H.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Emergency savings plan saved me twice during periods of unemployment. Its well worth it. I prefer 6 months of savings in the bank, but would eventually like to push that out to 1-2 years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.