The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating an authority website in a niche

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Adsense is a poor man's income, because it pays pennies, trashes the experience for your visitors and usually shows ads of your competitors.
Adsense forms "looks cheap" impression right away, it turns off the audience, devalue content, devalue any other kind of advertising, ruin potential relationships with advertisers and sponsors, results in inefficient decisions regarding your website monetization strategy and overall development, and that's without even getting into details.

If you're serious about your business, you must never monetize it with adsense. It's not only poor man's income, it's lazy man's income.

Going on about this might amount to derailment of the thread.
So I'll end by saying - every tool has it's prime function. A spoon is not a fork.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
Good Morning guys,

Well so many things have happened since I last worked with this project that took up a lot of my time, and I was unable to continue working with this project.

I am back to continue on with this project, and I will also be working with another business venture which I am working on as well. This will be a separate thread.

Well just found out Instagress has been shut down, and that a bummer I learned a lot from that service and it really helped me increase my followers. I also kept a log and recorded every move i did with it. Which now I am using it as a guide to help me see when to post (time) and if my followers, likes and comments are organic.

I am speeding up the process now with outsourcing the website work, logo, and copy writing.

Quick brief description on what I am doing:

The website will be sort of a digital magazine on the niche I'm in. It will have the feature of reading it in Spanish so it will be bilingual, English being the primary language. I believe this will be one of the things that will set me apart from the other few websites around, including the number #1 site in this niche.

The niche is base on products that can be consumed, collected, and can get pretty expensive over the time. Also requires a maintenance process in order to keep the products conserved. For example wine, there's millions of varieties on wine it can be consumed, price varies depending on the complexity and age of the wine. In order for you to acquire pictures, reviews, etc.. You have to buy the product at the beginning stages which is one of the problems I have. I am very limited financially how much I can spend toward buying the actual product in the niche i am in.

My IG account was around 792 since I last did something with it along with using Instagress. I always able to grow it to nearly 800 organic followers no BS using instagress. I then did nothing with the IG account for a little over a year and it grew by a few followers until now that I am back which was 819. I made my first post again yesterday, and I have gotten so far 2 new followers.

Is time to surpass the 1K followers milestone and I am not too far from it! I need to focus in getting fresh content to post in my IG account. Post more often, going to stick to 3 posts a day.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
With Instagress now gone I have started my free trial with SocialDrift to see how it goes. If anyone has any other cheaper or better suggestion please let me know. I also got a nice logo made for like $25. The next step would be to start gathering content, articles, products reviews together to be able to get a website created.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
It definitely sucks not having Instagress around anymore, looking back at my growing data I kept track of, using different tactics I was using to grow a brand new IG account, I can definitely say I was growing a lot quicker before than I am now just using SocialDrift.

I also need to have different groups of 30 hashtags to keep them rotating when I make a new post. Before I never had the problem of using the same group of hashtag in multiple back to back posts. My posts don't get as much likes as before either. Since April/2018 and until now I have gotten about 120 new followers which is pretty slow for a little over a month period.

The logo came out awesome, now I am personally doing the following method and unfollowing from other big accounts followers in my niche. Seems to be working fine. SocialDrift is just liking other followers posts from specific accounts and hashtags i am targeting with the app.

So far I am about 50 followers from reaching 1K, hopefully after surppasing a little over 1K I will get the snowball effect! In the mean time I am adapting and trying to come up with ideas with the new IG that will soon be the next IGTube!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
i cant for the love of god build my insta, & fb has been hard aswell (organic)

meanwhile with fb ads im able to get thousands of views for pennies & high engagement, haven't bothered to do paid ads for instagram yet.

ive been finding alot of the people that are following me are generally other business pages which is totally useless.

on the flip side the few people that i have engaged i know are genuinely real people & find facebook to be alot better for returns.

the trick has been using engaging photos where you are asking a question. an example ,
lul.JPG
the problem with a luxury niche is that the vast majority of people that actually do follow & interact with instagram pages of big brand names are usually not well off financially and spend theyre time day dreaming so selling to that specific market will prove to be quite tough.

so the point you made of building an instagram following and *then* directing traffic to get sales concerns me a bit.

whatever your product is, if it is something good you should be getting referrals, having people talk about the product & sharing it with others.

i have a product of my own and have sold twice to the same person as they wanted to buy for theyre coworker after showing it around the workplace, my marketing budget was $0 for those 2 sales ironically enough.

let the product market it self, while the instagram following is kind of important, it shouldnt be the main point of focus imo.

fb marketing has been the easiest for me so far, on a small fb ad i launched not to long ago & only spent about $7, and got around 5k views or something like that with 100+ leads that im able to follow up with in the future.

hope that helped.

WTF

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jun 24, 2018
San Diego, CA
If you're trying to build an authority blog, then why not produce authority blog posts on your site?

Sure, marketing matters. But if you're truly producing outstanding and original content and you're solving a problem that has an actual demand -- your marketing will do itself.

Spend more time writing quality blog posts in your niche. Forget Instagram. Forget YouTube. Forget Twitter. Nobody wants to return to a site that provides no value. Forget all social media until you have at least 25+ original and quality posts.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
So far seems like having different groups of 30 different hashtags rotating between different posts seems to do the trick to get more likes. I also target mix hashtags in my group from low less popular hashtags and some high posts more common and used hashtags. The less popular hashtags helps my post get to the top right away from posting, this gives my post a higher chance to be seeing and also brings in more likes. The more frequent likes I can get the better I can rank better in the popular hashtags which are harder to stay at top.

Now my problem to fix and get better at, is how to get my followers to engage and interacts on my posts. I want them to leave comments. Seems like when asking a question most people don't read the caption of the post. So I would have to place the question in the picture to grab their attention, and hopefully their curiosity would be high where they take the moment to read the caption and perhaps making them leave a comment.

For example I just did a post asking a question to a problem I having figuring out in my niche and so far I am getting likes and no comments at all. LOL So now I am going to try by placing the question in the picture and see how people react to it.

WEBSITE
So far I am collecting, creating and revising articles I will be posting on my website once is ready to be put together and ready to be published. The goal is to have at least 30 great articles with pictures, all of the pictures will be mine and hopefully I can find a resource where I can use pictures that are free to use and not have a copyright issued with it. But the plan is to stick to using pictures that are mine since it seems expensive to buy pictures with rights toward using them from others. Also doesn't seems like a good investment. 30 great articles with pictures, with the minimum word count being nothing less than 500 word counts, and perhaps 10 articles out of them will be 1,000 word count. I will also be including 5 different product reviews, and one written interview that will be close to 5,000 word count. The interview will be on someone who has a business in the niche, has been in business for years, and his store has a lot of history since it has been open since 1925. This can bring the curiosity and attention to many readers. I will also have the interviewee provides pictures for the article to make the interview more view-able and interesting.

So the plan for the website when publishing it to rank faster:
1)30 great articles, 20 will be no less than 500 word count, and 10 will be 1,000 word count or more.

2)5 products reviews, with pictures and no less than 500 word counts.

3) I can get one written interview that will be close to 5,000 word count with pictures included.

WEBSITE CONS

I am not great at creating websites no matter how simple the process may be, I am aware there are many different ways of creating and being able to publish it without hiring someone. I also have very limited time due to my 9-5 job which is what is helping financially to build a fastlane business which is creating authority websites or niche websites and flipping them!

So with that being said, my solution would be I am in the talk with outsourcing the website job and have someone else put it together by telling them how I want my website to be. I will be emailing them all of the articles, products reviews, the interview and a blueprint or wireframe as a reference how I want the website to be.

I want the website to be a magazine authority website in my niche, and so far I may be able to get it design and coded or with a purchase wordpress theme for around $150-$200 which in my opinion is not bad.

I have to figure out how can I authorize or is it possible to have my own "website tech" to where she/he can log in to my website when need fixing to an issue without the giving them full control of my website?

Anyone have hosting preference?

I have 2 other great niche ideas, but one niche at a time!

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
If you're trying to build an authority blog, then why not produce authority blog posts on your site?

Sure, marketing matters. But if you're truly producing outstanding and original content and you're solving a problem that has an actual demand -- your marketing will do itself.

Spend more time writing quality blog posts in your niche. Forget Instagram. Forget YouTube. Forget Twitter. Nobody wants to return to a site that provides no value. Forget all social media until you have at least 25+ original and quality posts.
Check my update posts, this is what I am currently working on.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
i cant for the love of god build my insta, & fb has been hard aswell (organic)

meanwhile with fb ads im able to get thousands of views for pennies & high engagement, haven't bothered to do paid ads for instagram yet.

ive been finding alot of the people that are following me are generally other business pages which is totally useless.

on the flip side the few people that i have engaged i know are genuinely real people & find facebook to be alot better for returns.

the trick has been using engaging photos where you are asking a question. an example ,
View attachment 20086
the problem with a luxury niche is that the vast majority of people that actually do follow & interact with instagram pages of big brand names are usually not well off financially and spend theyre time day dreaming so selling to that specific market will prove to be quite tough.

so the point you made of building an instagram following and *then* directing traffic to get sales concerns me a bit.

whatever your product is, if it is something good you should be getting referrals, having people talk about the product & sharing it with others.

i have a product of my own and have sold twice to the same person as they wanted to buy for theyre coworker after showing it around the workplace, my marketing budget was $0 for those 2 sales ironically enough.

let the product market it self, while the instagram following is kind of important, it shouldnt be the main point of focus imo.

fb marketing has been the easiest for me so far, on a small fb ad i launched not to long ago & only spent about $7, and got around 5k views or something like that with 100+ leads that im able to follow up with in the future.

hope that helped.

I do have a Facebook Page under my niche authority name same as IG but seems like IG is a lot easier to work with and faster to grow than FB. FB ads are a mixed feelings, I always hear great things or worst things they seem to be a PITA. I plan on focusing on the FB page later on. In the mean time I just re post my IG posts on FB.

There would be numerous ways and ideas to monetize my website, for now I want to focus in becoming an authority site, and build a brand of my name, and get those high page views constantly a month! Would be lovely to get 100K page view a month!

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
UPDATE Website

Well seems like I may have found a solution toward my building my website problem. After doing some research there's a theme called "X" which is about $59, and is very popular and easy to work with according to my research and reviews about it. So I am thinking in giving this a try again myself, and see if I can put this magazine website like I want to.

UPDATE IG

The other day I posted a post of a question and got some awesome interactions. The likes were a bit low but nearly 60 comments in one day, and continues to get interactions as more people come across it. Even though I only got about 60 likes I did get a good interactions like I wanted it to. My followers are also slowly increasing getting closed to that 1K milestone.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
UPDATE 7/15

So I have some good news, while I was doing more research about creating my website, I was able to get the X theme on sale, last week it was originally $59 but I was able to buy it for $35.

The only thing holding me back now is getting a host plan, the majority of these host want a 3 year upfront payment and I was debating in between Hostgator and BlueHost and I really like BlueHost.

I am trying to see if I can go ahead and upload the theme, play around with it and start putting together the website how I want it so that in 2 weeks when I purchase the host plan all I have to do is point my servers to my domain correct? Or should I get a host before I even try working with my website.

I am also working on the content, getting articles together, coming up with new posts, and trying to keep up with the industry since they have going on a few expos this year. I plan on attending one at the end of the year, so that I can get more content myself and also because I enjoy the industry as well.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
If i am not wrong you can use namecheap and pay monthly for it.
I completely forgot to check with them, seems like I will be going with Namecheap for now to get this project moving. Even though I have read mixed reviews about their hosting. The reason I wanted to go with BlueHost was because they provided great backups.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.