The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a solution for a target community you don't belong to

Anything related to matters of the mind

Yasser

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 6, 2022
France
Have any of you created a solution for a certain community (deaf, vegan, etc.) despite not being a member of that community?

I'm working on a solution in this area, and while I'm not a target, I feel like I should be a part of that community in order for the solution to be accepted by that community.

Is it, for example, acceptable to create vegan items while you are not a vegan?

Have you ever felt the same way? How did you handle it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supersamosa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
May 28, 2019
I'm doing similar, but in recruitment (never worked as one but have worked with many) - no idea if I'm honest but going to quiet down the voices in my head and do it anyway

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Yes, it is usually acceptable. If your solution is good enough (fulfilling a true need, not an optional want) your credentials will matter less.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
Have any of you created a solution for a certain community (deaf, vegan, etc.) despite not being a member of that community?

I'm working on a solution in this area, and while I'm not a target, I feel like I should be a part of that community in order for the solution to be accepted by that community.

I think as long as it's a value adding product, it shouldn't matter. If the community knows it works for others like them, that may be all they need to hear. When I want to buy things I want, I doubt the story of the person who made it and if they use it, matters in stopping me from getting it.

In some sense, MJ did this with his Limo company despite only ever paying for a limo once.

That said, from my personal experience it's a lot easier to create an appropriate solution when you're part of the target market. You'll be a lot more passionate about creating a solution that works and researching more about your target market can become a fun activity. Because if it's a solution you need yourself, you may be more motivated to finish it in the desert of desertion.

Whereas if you didn't feel the pain of that audience, it may be harder to confirm the solution works by yourself or be less motivated to creating a working solution.

But at the end of the day, what matters most is that it's a value adding product.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Check out this post from @NeoDialectic, its gold for a reason.

Arithen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 13, 2021
Canada

Providing that the product/service has value this wouldn't matter at all.

If I ever need a prescription filled, I'm not looking to see if the lab techs have suffered the same illness. I just want to know if the product works.

(most) Americans don't check to see that their American flags aren't actually made in China for Independence day. They just want a US Flag.

I'm not worried if the product on amazon is actually being used by the person who designed it. All I care about is if it functions as advertised and is useful for me.

You can make a great marketing strategy focused on "Made by _____ for______," but it certainly isn't a requirement. Some people seek that out, (Americans seeking American-made US Flags) and in those cases, you can corner a specific audience, but the vast majority of people just want their stuff.

Yasser

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 6, 2022
France
I'm doing similar, but in recruitment (never worked as one but have worked with many) - no idea if I'm honest but going to quiet down the voices in my head and do it anyway
True ! These voices are amplified by the uncertainty of entrepreneurship (what if I fail? What happens if my product is rejected? .....).
Even if it's a challenging task, the solution is to calm these voices down.
That said, from my personal experience it's a lot easier to create an appropriate solution when you're part of the target market. You'll be a lot more passionate about creating a solution that works and researching more about your target market can become a fun activity. Because if it's a solution you need yourself, you may be more motivated to finish it in the desert of desertion.
I do believe that the procedure is made simpler by being a part of the target market. In order to complete tasks and move toward my goal, I do find that I have to exert a lot of mental energy.
If I ever need a prescription filled, I'm not looking to see if the lab techs have suffered the same illness. I just want to know if the product works.

(most) Americans don't check to see that their American flags aren't actually made in China for Independence day. They just want a US Flag.
You are entirely correct. After giving my consumer behavior some thoughts, I can confirm that I don't give a damn about who the producer is or where does he come from as long as the product satisfies my need.

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
I do believe that the procedure is made simpler by being a part of the target market. In order to complete tasks and move toward my goal, I do find that I have to exert a lot of mental energy.
Not discouraging you from pursuing the idea, and at the end of the day, remember when you see yourself making the impact you'll be much more motivated to continue past the desert of desertion. And what matters is that the product fulfils a need.

For me, it took a bit of jumping around before I arrived at a problem to solve that I kind of gladly think about at night on how to solve better. I had done window cleaning, copywriting, web design etc before this and honing down not on a field, but a problem I was having. I'd say the experience is always worth it.

Yasser

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 6, 2022
France
Not discouraging you from pursuing the idea, and at the end of the day, remember when you see yourself making the impact you'll be much more motivated to continue past the desert of desertion. And what matters is that the product fulfils a need.

For me, it took a bit of jumping around before I arrived at a problem to solve that I kind of gladly think about at night on how to solve better. I had done window cleaning, copywriting, web design etc before this and honing down not on a field, but a problem I was having. I'd say the experience is always worth it.
Once I get something on my mind, it's almost impossible to discourage me . I'm stubborn when it comes to my life and objectives.

Nevertheless, I totally agree with you on being part of the target market and its positive impact on your journey as an entrepreneur.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Yes, but when vegans find out the owner isn't vegan, your business can, and will suffer. The vegan audience is often political and moralistic, much different than say a group of Corvette owners.

Generally speaking, you don't need to be.

However, when it comes to vegan products or anything that might be on the moral side of the spectrum, it would be advised as veganism is adopted by many (like myself) as a moral decision. I know vegans who won't patronize vegan companies where the owner is not vegan themselves. The owners, often, try to keep this fact secret but usually the truth gets out. And when it does, you'll lose a significant portion of the audience.

So the answer depends on the audience and niche your targeting.

Yasser

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 6, 2022
France
However, when it comes to vegan products or anything that might be on the moral side of the spectrum, it would be advised as veganism is adopted by many (like myself) as a moral decision.
Thanks @MJ DeMarco, you pointed out something important that I didn't pay attention to up until now (ie. Communities whose members developed a strong identity and are moralistic).

The owners, often, try to keep this fact secret but usually the truth gets out. And when it does, you'll lose a significant portion of the audience.
In this case you may find a way to join their community, hire members of these communities or be a donator/active member in some associations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.